Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

KBC bank are the ones who ordered it according to the Community Action Tenants Union

I'd be very sceptical of what an organisation that almost encourages non payment or similar against landlords.

If the gardai were there as onlookers, then you can be sure that proper notice was given and as usual you get the "I knew nothing". Looks like the original landlord is at fault rather than the tenants themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Riki_road

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what actually went on? Does anybody know?

Seems like the landlord (or subletting landlord) was collecting rent from the tenants but not paying the mortgage. Bank with through the process to repossess the house and get eviction of the people living there, who didnt know about the eviction until the last minute.

More of a thing about slum landlords than bad bankers imo

Edit: from what the video says, the gardai say they are happy that notice was received. There was a court order which was stored at mount joy garda station and eviction notice was on facebook as the tenants names were not known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's a lot more to this than what we are hearing in the media.

Seems crazy to me that Gardaí are allowed to stand idly by and watch an eviction crew turf people out on the street and smash up the place. Maybe it was all above board legally, but then that's a very strange way for the law to operate.

If it is all above board the guards have no reason to intervene in an eviction.
    As we don't know who did the smashing, it's just as likely to have been the tenants getting evicted as the people working on behalf of the property owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

As we don't know who did the smashing, it's just as likely to have been the tenants getting evicted as the people working on behalf of the property owner.

Looks like my place when my last tenant left owing 4 months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yes. Between the tenants and the masked heavies, the probability as to who trashed everything is exactly equal. Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yes. Between the tenants and the masked heavies, the probability as to who trashed everything is exactly equal. Yes.

You're right why would the "masked heavies" who are likely being paid by the owner have any incentive not to destroy his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

So the Gardai allowed the heavies no only make the house inhabitable for the tenants, but destroy their personal property aswell?

That's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

The tenants regained possession of the house following the intervention of a solicitor. By all accounts it was an illegal eviction, so whoever ordered and organised it will be paying hefty compensation. What the Gardaí were doing is a mystery, they have no business intervening in civil cases to facilitate criminal acts of assault and destruction of property.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This just beyond belief, WTF were Gardai doing at this appalling eviction, it's just shocking. Here in the Midlands we're locked down, checkpoints everywhere and yet Gardai in Dublin have ample time on their hands to entertain this blatant lawlessness, standing by hooded hooligans who not just illegally evicted tenants but also caused substantial damage to property.

The tenants have now regained access thank goodness, heads should roll for what has occurred, turfing people out on the street by hooded thugs in the middle of a pandemic is just extraordinary, some living there for 7 years FFS, I'm sickened, truly sickened.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

silver2020 wrote: »
    I'd be very sceptical of what an organisation that almost encourages non payment or similar against landlords.

If the gardai were there as onlookers, then you can be sure that proper notice was given and as usual you get the "I knew nothing". Looks like the original landlord is at fault rather than the tenants themselves

Whatever about the eviction being rightful or wrongful.... Gardai standing by, observing and facilitating criminal damage occurring to property is a bit concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Yurt! wrote: »

Which part did you have difficulty understanding?

Strumms wrote: »
    Whatever about the eviction being rightful or wrongful.... Gardai standing by, observing and facilitating criminal damage occurring to property is a bit concerning.

Agreed and you'd think the local inspector might have someone call someone and enquire if what was about to happen was acceptable in the middle of a pandemic, it's not the first time Gardai have been caught up in messy and questionable evictions. I also wondered if everything was in order, why is it the tenants have been allowed back into their homes this evening, something smells here. Just disgusting carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

A lot of information coming out on this after the fact.

Sub-letting mess by the look of it.

The woman in a video has been identified online as a ‘landlord’ by ex tenants which one suspects means she was subletting.

In the video the woman went very quick to claims of racism for the eviction.

Luckily one of the million homeless charities in Dublin had €500 to spare to house them last night.

KBC said they have nothing to do with the loan on the property.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-eviction-5175006-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Was it being subleased to the people turfed out? Strange situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

The Gardai were notified by the company prior to the eviction it seems and only attended after a 999 call.

The Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace, so no one gets hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Possibly their pals on a nixer.

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what actually went on? Does anybody know?

Seems the original owner was in arrears for over 7 years, property was repossessed (unknown allegedly claims original owner), new owner takes over and decides to evict, what's not clear is if new owner followed acceptable and lawlful processes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

GSOC should be next port of call for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You can do what you want to your own property, Gardai cannot intervene if you're not harming anybody and are not a danger to the public.

The Gardai would have been notified of the eviction, would have checked this with the courts and their own Super or HQ and would have gone there on that basis. They are there to uphold the peace and to ensure that a court order is fulfilled.

The fact that the eviction is illegal is not the fault of the Gardai, that's what the courts etc. are there for. So whoever is to blame, I'd put the Gardai well down the list.

The 'baliffs' had no I.D., which by law they have to produce if requested. There's a difference between a court ordered baliff and a private security firm, I'd say the line there may have been crossed.

The IT article is written by Jack Power, he's a sensationalist, and a cross between Kitty Holland and Eoghan 'Woke' McDermott. I wouldn;t put too much faith into his biased version of events. Alone the headlline 'men in dark clothing' is an embarrassment to a journalist.

The full facts will eventually come out, they always do. There will be a court case for compo if the eviction was illegal and we'll be able to make our minds up then.

The Gardai were notified by the company prior to the eviction it seems and only attended after a 999 call.

The Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace, so no one gets hurt.

They certainly excelled at their jobs, what about the criminal damage they stood by and watched occuring)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the crowd who broke back in did the damage to cause maximum outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They certainly excelled at their jobs, what about the criminal damage they stood by and watched occuring)???

I'm guessing they didn't enter so not a lot they can do. If I own the property or have say a builder in and destroyed everything what are they going to do?

There is definitely more to it and I'd like to see receipts for all the rents paid to be honest. Were these all on hap?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wouldn't be the first time a landlord lost a property to a bank and continued to draw rents from the poor unfortunate tenants who were none the wiser. If the bank told the hired goons to smash the place up that's pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Dempo1 wrote: »

If the premise is a lawful eviction, Is it criminal damage if owner of property consents to damage? What crime could they have stopped if they allowed the eviction in them first place? (Just to note I am completely against the way any of this was handled but without full knowledge of the facts I’m unsure of anything).

Varik wrote: »
    You're right why would the "masked heavies" who are likely being paid by the owner have any incentive not to destroy his property.

Because the owner would know they’d eventually be allowed back in and would have given instructions to make it as uninhabitable as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

On the quote " by men in masks and dark clothing", that's exactly that I would wear if i worked in a business like that. I wouldn't want my identity known.

Even if just doing your job due to the amount of social media, and misleading videos that get out, you could be targeted. It's a deliberate click baity headline.

Now saying that, i don't know what has gone on here seems a complete mess, not sure we will ever get the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

On the quote " by men in masks and dark clothing", that's exactly that I would wear if i worked in a business like that. I wouldn't want my identity known.

Well the masks were for covid tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do people keep saying "criminal damage"? Where exactly did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If the property owner instructed the goons to wreck the place, it couldn't be criminal damage. An owner can wreck his own stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Were they builders? Plans to renovate.... Could be used

Advertisement