Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterproofing laminates

Options
  • 12-08-2020 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Looking to put down new laminates throughout the house and planning to use the same laminates all over in all rooms.

Would like to future proof them in the kitchen, utility and hallway areas in case of any leaks or excess moisture coming from wet shoes from outdoors etc..

Can anyone recommend any waterproofing / hydro seal kits?

I'm looking at Unika ClicSeal and a QuickStep HydroKit - are these any good or can anyone recommend any others please?

Is the idea you just use these as a glue on the edges to give them a waterproof seal?

Any info or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you're getting decent laminate you don't need to bother, it'll easily withstand wet shoes, kitchen spills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

awec wrote: »
    If you're getting decent laminate you don't need to bother, it'll easily withstand wet shoes, kitchen spills etc.

They're AC4 (Class 32) rated but they're not water resistant, so was just hoping to have a bit of extra peace of mind, but perhaps that's overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Morby wrote: »
    Looking to put down new laminates throughout the house and planning to use the same laminates all over in all rooms.

Would like to future proof them in the kitchen, utility and hallway areas in case of any leaks or excess moisture coming from wet shoes from outdoors etc..

Can anyone recommend any waterproofing / hydro seal kits?

I'm looking at Unika ClicSeal and a QuickStep HydroKit - are these any good or can anyone recommend any others please?

Is the idea you just use these as a glue on the edges to give them a waterproof seal?

Any info or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I just went for the balterio traditions for all my ground floor.

The reason i went for this one is that i performed a waterproof test myself.
    I spilled water at the connections of the samples i got, left it there for 2 hours, then took the water out and disconnected the samples.
    Not a single drop between them

I performed the same test with another brand (one without hydroshield) and... Fail.... After disconnecting the samples the areas between were all wet...

I have no input for the quickstep. Couldnt get samples to test.

Im happy with the balterio price so no need to research further

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

in2dark wrote: »
    I just went for the balterio traditions for all my ground floor.

The reason i went for this one is that i performed a waterproof test myself.
    I spilled water at the connections of the samples i got, left it there for 2 hours, then took the water out and disconnected the samples.
    Not a single drop between them

I performed the same test with another brand (one without hydroshield) and... Fail.... After disconnecting the samples the areas between were all wet...

I have no input for the quickstep. Couldnt get samples to test.

Im happy with the balterio price so no need to research further

Have SwissKrono Grand Selection (Beach D4492) and have to say it super. It’s also water resistant compared to others. 14mm thick and bigger boards. Had many a spill etc and no issues. Pricey but very happy.

Advertisement