Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Championship Qualifiers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Angles McManus doing well 6-3 lead over Louis Heathcoat.

The milkman (terrible nickname) losing toAshley Carry 6-3. Milkins has an average shot time in the 18 second range. That's impressive - but not really if you're losing.

5-2 to Wenbo now. Hard to see Fergal coming back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This round is best of 19 so they'll be back to play to a finish tonight.

This round is best of 19 so they'll be back to play to a finish tonight.

Oh, I hadn't copped it's the longer matches in this round. He's still in with a chance then.

I'll edit my earlier post so I'm not fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Angles McManus is through. Comprehensive scoreline of 6-2 over Louis Heathcoat.

The milkman (terrible nickname) is out. Beaten by Ashley Carry 6-3. Milkins had an average shot time in the 18 second range. That's impressive - but not really if you're losing.

5-2 to Wenbo now. Hard to see Fergal coming back from that.

The matches are now best of 19.:)
    Jjust watching Selt 1 v 7 Maflin.
    Really poor standard. Especially from Selt

Fergal off the hook again there. Not finishing out frames clinically enough, that was nearly the third he'd chucked away. 4-5 would be great session score if he could manage it.

• Advertisement

Good steal that to get 4-5. Considering he butchered two frames it's only an ok scoreline but could have been a lot worse at the same time. If liang doesnt cut the errors, i can see fergal taking it after the customary battle.

If i was a top 16 guy looking on, I'd be thinking the one I'd want to avoid in the draw is Ursenbacher. Dangerous young opponent.

Good steal that to get 4-5. Considering he butchered two frames it's only an ok scoreline but could have been a lot worse at the same time. If liang doesnt cut the errors, i can see fergal taking it after the customary battle.

If i was a top 16 guy looking on, I'd be thinking the one I'd want to avoid in the draw is Ursenbacher. Dangerous young opponent.

I'd be thinking the opposite,I havent seen anything from any of these players on show this year.
    41 centurys in 112 matches isn't a great return.
    Famous last words but i doubt there will be any major 1st round shocks coming from this crop.

I'd be thinking the opposite,I havent seen anything from any of these players on show this year.
    41 centurys in 112 matches isn't a great return.
    Famous last words but i doubt there will be any major 1st round shocks coming from this crop.

Yet there usually are a couple of first round shocks. Those guys have a few rounds under their belt by the time they qualify. They're warmed up so the first round gives the qualifier a small advantage in that sense.

The length of the tournament means that the qualifiers are massively disadvantaged if they were to get to get to the later rounds. So its an advantage in the first round but a big disadvantage by the later rounds.

Yet there usually are a couple of first round shocks. Those guys have a few rounds under their belt by the time they qualify. They're warmed up so the first round gives the qualifier a small advantage in that sense.

The length of the tournament means that the qualifiers are massively disadvantaged if they were to get to get to the later rounds. So its an advantage in the first round but a big disadvantage by the later rounds.

I know what you mean but should the likes of Bingham,Hawkins and Bingtao who are 14,15,and 16 really fear Slessor,Maflin or Ursenbacher?
    Like i said famous last words and anyone can have an off day but theres a huge gulf in class between the top players and the lower ranked guys

I know what you mean but should the likes of Bingham,Hawkins and Bingtao who are 14,15,and 16 really fear Slessor,Maflin or Ursenbacher?
    Like i said famous last words and anyone can have an off day but theres a huge gulf in class between the top players and the lower ranked guys

Yeah there really is a big difference in quality between the top guys and the rest. But, the qualifiers have to be both in good for and warmed up and in their stride by the first round in order to qualify. The top16 haven't played a competitive match in 6 weeks. These upsets do happen.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you picked up the idea this is potentially a good crop of qualifiers from my post. I never suggested it was. Just that of them Ursenbacher, if he closes the deal tonight, is one I'd prefer to avoid. I like what I've seen of him, he's fearless and goes for his shots which can go wrong but also makes him dangerous. I'd prefer a known quantity like Maflin or McManus, i know i can beat them.

The top 16 guys dont have to look down and fear anybody, but also at the same time nobody has to face the likes of Bingham or Bingtao quaking in their shoes exactly. There'll be 2 or 3 seeds minimum falling in the first round probably because thats what happens every year. Circumstances this year could even mean one or two more, hard to say.

Alexander Ursenbacher and Andrew Higginson playing each other and both have an average shot time below 20seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Last 5 years. 16 seeds - 4, 6, 4, 7, 3 have lost in the first round.
    Average just under 5. So definitely vulnerability there.

People say Trump was a great champion last year, with some merit to be fair, but forget he was within a single shot of exiting first round. Should have been gone.

Great knowledge. That's much higher than I'd have guessed. Given there are 16 first round matches, that's just less than one in 3 matches.

Some great shots there from Fergal. Longer this goes on more I'd fancy him to come through.

Another excellent frame, 8-7, ahead for first time in the match. Looking very strong.

No doubt there have always been upsets but i just feel this year i'd favour the seeds and if there were to be upsets i think it could be from a more old school type like a McManus,Hamilton or Wenbo/O Brien.

By the way i'm really enjoying the Wenbo v O'Brien match.
    Fergal 8-7 up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wonder how long that 16th frame would've gone on for without the re-rack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

dfx- wrote: »
    I wonder how long that 16th frame would've gone on for without the re-rack

Might have been quicker than this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Best of 3 now!!. Eurosport know that when Fergal plays they dont need to worry about early finishes!

Fergal gonna have to do it the hard way. Fair play to liang, good response after going behind, surprised me how patient he's been. Been an absorbing contest, still never write Fergal off.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

Fergal can have no complaints if he loses this. Missing middle distance pots and then overcutting that one to the centre pocket.

Wenbo looking the sharper of the two now.

Gripping. One big effort Fetgal.

Great break under the circumstances. Torture watching this now, have a feeling going to be one long battle left here.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Uh oh :(

Nite nite

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Impressive last frame from Liang in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pity, I would have liked to have seen Fergal make it.

• Advertisement

Just gutted for him, when he went ahead i was confident he'd do it but liang dug in well to be fair to him. Hard one to take, just have to hope he doesn't lose the tour card as well but that looks precarious too.

Advertisement