Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BA to scrap entire 747 fleet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Yes, 62K is Upper Deck looking Aft, just forward of the right Upper Deck door. Upper Deck has rows 60ABJK to 64ABJK.

62K & 62A were the best seats up there. Plenty of space and no-one to climb over to get to the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It was only in 2015/2016 that they spent (probably) a fair bit of money upgrading 18 of the 747s to have more J seats for routes with high J demand (e.g. LHR-JFK) and only in January of this year did they finish refurbing the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Flew on the upper deck with BA to Denver a few years back
    Backwards facing seat next to window, acres of room & storage, but cloud most of the way so saw v little and entertainment unit didn’t work most of the flight and no spare seats to move to. It was v dated , they def weren’t spending any money on upgrading the decor but nice to have done
    Flew on a South African airways flight to LHR-Cape Town about 20 years ago, 12 hrs overnight in economy, with a 20 month old between 2 of us on our laps, not my favourite flight of all time, but not the worst either, first long haul flight

Upper deck economy 15 years ago on South African 747-400s was excellent, rear economy was not pleasant, badly ageing. Not comfortable especially compared to their then new A340-600s.

Now a type also going/gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

This was rear economy unfortunately
    Was happy to fly on it though as had never been on one
    They were v good with kids though, gave her a backpack filled with games etc, which she used as her school lunchbag for years , still have it somewhere and a baseball cap too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

My first ever 747 flight was with KLM out to Asia. I remember arriving at the gate and just going “Wow”. The profile of the aircraft has never been matched in the modern era. Agree a lot of the -400 fleets have been dated inside for a while now. Flying in the nose of an -800 with Lufthansa is on my bucket list.

For the -8 it’s basically Lufty, Korean or Air China; and Lufthansa is your only realistic option for a European connection if you’re not going specifically to Korea or China. I’d say grab one while they’re going...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got a KLM 747 from Schipol to Shanghai it must be 15 years ago, was a horrific economy flight for work, they didn't even have an in seat entertainment system, was the old dropdown from the aisle ceiling CRT's from many moons ago. I got stuck in a middle seat for the duration, worst ever experience on a 747!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah let’s be honest. Economy on the 747 was terrible for most. I was on the upper deck once but I can’t remember it as I was a teenager.

I’ve flown business and premium economy with BA on it. Business felt dated 10 years ago but as always with BA the service was excellent.

I’ve even got to hang in the cockpit with the pilot pre-9/11 when I was a teenager on the 742 and 744.

As beautiful a plane it is to look at it’s also so noisy onboard. Definitely a drawback!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

At least the noise covers the snorers...

I had a B787 this year and honest to god some lad was snoring the place down. I could hear him through my ear plugs and the wife woke me up thinking it was me but it was the guy about 6 rows in front of us....

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭alentejo

I always loved the B747- Loved the back rows of economy on BA - the two seaters (52?). Always thought the seats while old fashioned were more comfy than new generation seats.

I always loved the 4 engines. Something about flying over the Atlantic at night - just always felt safer that modern equivalent 2 engine aircraft....irrational I know.

Will miss the BA 747's - Airports will be less interesting from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Nicest one that I flew on was owned by the King of Saudi Arabia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Flew twice on a BA747 to Thailand and back. Pretty crap to be honest, very tired and cramped old bird.

Have since flown transatlantic with Aer Lingus in both business and economy and the planes felt infinitely fresher.

Glad I got to experience it though, still chasing a spin in an A380. Only Concorde experience was seeing the one at the USS Intrepid museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dfx- wrote: »
    Upper deck economy 15 years ago on South African 747-400s was excellent, rear economy was not pleasant, badly ageing. Not comfortable especially compared to their then new A340-600s.

Now a type also going/gone...

4 engines are on the way out. Looks like it'll be all over once the last of the A380s go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The A380 has beautiful stability and provides a very comfortable ride by all accounts. Pity to see it go too.

Though as everyone notes, from the outside they may be imposing but inside it depends on the carrier and the class you're flying in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've flown on Virgins 747 and found it alright. Dunno how different economy is compared to BA.

I've never experienced a 777 that's 10 abreast (only 9) but surely that's much worse no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Many years ago, was in NYC for a wedding. Over on Friday, back on Sunday night.
    We were on airline staff tickets, but all flights were full.
    Listed everywhere but were contemplating heading back to the city as it looked like we would have no joy.

Also, as you could imagine, having been at an Irish wedding, we were not fighting fit.

Then, from the back of the still crowded kiosk, a BA agent literally goes "Pssst!"

And beckons us over with boarding cards. She just smiled the most mischievous smile and said "Run!".

We made it as they were closing the doors and the cabin crew said just hang on, and we were stood in a galley as they pushed back.

They apologised profusely, as they were not able to seat us together. I bade goodbye to my good lady as she was led up the stairs of a 747-400!

I was seated in business class, and had my first ever experience of a lie flat seat. Being a Sunday night flight to London from JFK, we were settled down fairly quickly. I had a brandy hot chocolate and enjoyed the longest spell of uninterrupted sleep I have ever had aboard a plane.

Years earlier, while on contract with Lufthansa, I had worked on 400s from Singapore and Malaysian, IIRC. They seemed so luxurious up the front and up top. I never thought I would experience the delight.

I recall very vividly, standing on the docks around the wings and marvelling at the sheer size of the wingtips. I put my hand on the very edge and gave it a little push down, like testing a bike's suspension. I got a proper fright when the bastard started flapping up and down and didn't want to stop!

Thankfully I was on a nightshift and was not observed as I scarpered.

Impressive beasts from every angle, they will certainly be missed from the skies and the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

I wish BA ordered the 747-8I, and not ordered the hideous A380.

The 747-8I would have been a logical successor to the 744s.

Considering BA were interested in ordering the 748, I wonder why they decided against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Considering BA were interested in ordering the 748, I wonder why they decided against it?

I can't recall BA having an interest in the B747-8. BA or IAG Cargo had 4 -8 jumbos but got rid of them.
    I think Airbus back then where crying out for major players to fly the A380. I have no idea what deal was done but I bet BA did well out of it. At BA the A380's future is not good. It's all down to fuel burn. It will probably be October before there is any definite press release form BA on the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I can't recall BA having an interest in the B747-8. BA or IAG Cargo had 4 -8 jumbos but got rid of them.
    I think Airbus back then where crying out for major players to fly the A380. I have no idea what deal was done but I bet BA did well out of it. At BA the A380's future is not good. It's all down to fuel burn. It will probably be October before there is any definite press release form BA on the A380.

There was a pair of 747-8Fs operated under contract for BA in BA colours by another airline, can remember the operator was listed as GSS in the flight plan.

Funny thing is a couple of years ago BA were in talks with Airbus for a new order for more A380s but walked away when Airbus wouldn’t drop their asking price enough. Bet BA are glad they walked now.....

The last time I was upstairs on a 747 was an Aer Lingus one so my memory is faded. The 747 is a good looking aircraft, but for me the passenger experience doesn’t come close to the 380, which is freakishly quiet. The bars and showers upstairs on the 380 also put it in a different league for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

HTCOne wrote: »
    There was a pair of 747-8Fs operated under contract for BA in BA colours by another airline, can remember the operator was listed as GSS in the flight plan.

Global supply systems was the company with the BA livery BAWC 748F, Be a regular visitor to STN like the rest of the freighters think their barred from LHR like all freighters and sent to STN.

Advertisement