Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Happy Pride Month! Suppose I'm marching next year ;)

Options
  • 30-06-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭

I don't often find myself in this corner of boards as a poster, but this is probably the only place on Boards that what follows will make any sense :)

I'm Dad to a very motivated and active 16y.o gay man, I don't call him a man lightly.
    His bravery in being his true self, in dealing with others doubts and insults and in advocating and supporting others is why he has earned that particular epithet from me.

I've made mistakes as a parent, I'm sure every parent has but the one thing I can absolutely say I've done right is supporting my son in finding his path and in developing his sense of self and moral compass.

There was never really any "coming out" as such, more a confirmation of what we already knew.
    This year has been his 1st real involvement with pride, and then with lockdown and the resurgence of BLM, he has become very socially and politically active.

And

I don't think I could be prouder, he has turned what was meant to be his perfect year (With school trips and the holidays that come with TY as well as a trip to India in October all cancelled) from car crash to a personal triumph.

He is active with multiple groups from school/county level up to and including his work as a youth ambassador for the Edmund Rice International foundation.
    All with work and projects ongoing.

I won't be out and about for Pride this year, but next year...
    In Limerick, if anyone finds themselves feeling a bit left out and needing a Dad hug?
    I'll be the 6'5" dope handing out those bear hugs and supporting my son anyway I can :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah thats lovely.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Lovely post! :)

Sounds like you are a wonderful, understanding and supportive dad to your son. And your son sounds like a great young man.

My own late father was also very supportive when I came out to him at 23 back in the late 1990s. It took him a few weeks to get his head around it but he told me I was his son, he was proud of me and he wanted me to be happy :)

Happy Pride! !! :):D ðŸ³️*🌈ðŸ³️*🌈

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Lovely post! :)

Sounds like you are a wonderful, understanding and supportive dad to your son. And your son sounds like a great young man.

Thanks.

It was just me and him for quite a while after we lost his mam and my worry was always "Am I doing this right"?

When you're a big rugby scarred lump of a lad from Limerick, the worry is always there regarding my own emotional and social limits as a parent.

But they say it takes a village to raise a kid, and we have a great one, that helped us and supported us when we needed it.
    Seeing him take that love and support he has been shown and watching him do his best to pay it forward makes me very proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks.

It was just me and him for quite a while after we lost his mam and my worry was always "Am I doing this right"?

When you're a big rugby scarred lump of a lad from Limerick, the worry is always there regarding my own emotional and social limits as a parent.

But they say it takes a village to raise a kid, and we have a great one, that helped us and supported us when we needed it.
    Seeing him take that love and support he has been shown and watching him do his best to pay it forward makes me very proud.

Ah Banie this is lovely. You are an amazing dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Really touching man. Fair play to ya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement