Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

It's really not. This isn't Twitter but keep trying to make out that boards is something it's not.

It was a joke I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So who's lives are more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Why is it always turned into a race war.

We are all human beings, breath and bleed exactly the same....

Better education and prospects for all, more equal opportunity for all.

at least you didnt say equal outcome for all!

i think its the fact that people who say all lives matter are branded as racist by a section of people fighting for equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Blacklivesmatters said the virtue signalling leftie fool from Ireland who has never once had to struggle to survive or understand how the real world works.

I love how they wave their little Marxist flags and scream about black lives all the while wearing cheap clothes made in a sweatshop under horrendous conditions in Bangladesh and record it all with their iPhones containing cobalt mined by black slave children in the Congo where deaths are rampant year on year. "Oh but those black and brown lives don't matter because nobody will like my post!" How many will actually make a ****ing difference and ditch the iPhone for something more socially responsible like https://www.fairphone.com/en/ . None will because it's easier to shout and scream and roar about things then actually do something tangible that affects your own life

**** off hypocitical little ****s stirring up racial problems in this country. It was not so long ago our white privilege was starving to death on the sides of road and being forced into slavery in workhouses. And they want us to feel guilty about building this country?

Same fools ignore the statistics that show black people are three times more likely to die from covid so they go host a march organised by mainly black people. You can't write this ****

#blacklivesmatter #Alllivesmatter #****thepolice #****biggovernment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Here is an Irish lad in limerick getting battered for not supporting black lives matter.

https://www.facebook.com/518620081515968/posts/3466382670073013/?vh=e&d=n

Horrible stuff.

lol

good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kilboor wrote: »
    Blacklivesmatters said the virtue signalling leftie fool from Ireland who has never once had to struggle to survive or understand how the real world works.

I love how they wave their little Marxist flags and scream about black lives all the while wearing cheap clothes made in a sweatshop under horrendous conditions in Bangladesh and record it all with their iPhones containing cobalt mined by black slave children in the Congo where deaths are rampant year on year. "Oh but those black and brown lives don't matter because nobody will like my post!" How many will actually make a ****ing difference and ditch the iPhone for something more socially responsible like https://www.fairphone.com/en/ . None will because it's easier to shout and scream and roar about things then actually do something tangible that affects your own life

**** off hypocitical little ****s stirring up racial problems in this country. It was not so long ago our white privilege was starving to death on the sides of road and being forced into slavery in workhouses. And they want us to feel guilty about building this country?

Same fools ignore the statistics that show black people are three times more likely to die from covid so they go host a march organised by mainly black people. You can't write this ****

#blacklivesmatter #Alllivesmatter #****thepolice #****biggovernment

Yes the Irish are extremely quick to forget how bad people actually had it here on our island.

What do they think happened to the citizens when the actual number fell considerably from death such as the famine and other horrible diseases and worked as slaves to the British.

Irish went to other countries to work and work hard much different to many other nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

The good thing I’ll say about all this at the moment is it’s really helping to weed the militant snowflakes out of my FB friends list. I am actually shocked at some of them who appear to be jumping on this bandwagon purely for kudos and backslaps from virtue signallers like themselves (also knowing from personal experience that they are not anywhere near the sanctimonious and “better than you” types they want to appear as) but at least I won’t waste any more time on them from now on :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Blaze420 wrote: »
    The good thing I’ll say about all this at the moment is it’s really helping to weed the militant snowflakes out of my FB friends list. I am actually shocked at some of them who appear to be jumping on this bandwagon purely for kudos and backslaps from virtue signallers like themselves (also knowing from personal experience that they are not anywhere near the sanctimonious and “better than you” types they want to appear as) but at least I won’t waste any more time on them from now on :)

Same here, I know if I change myself and keep the faith, treat people well gain others respect,and if my manners and good intentions aint accepted. Fck em If everyone is being civil and environmentally aware, we'd all get along.
    Sounds very simple, but when I'm pointing my fingers at others there's a lot more pointing back.

All the boloxoligy going on at the moment made me realize that it's an inside job first, then when I'm doing what's right I'm doing ok

No point in trying to change others or pushing my will on the world, because I'm as nuts as the pricks people are complaining about.

nthclare wrote: »
    Same here, I know if I change myself and keep the faith, treat people well gain others respect,and if my manners and good intentions aint accepted. Fck em If everyone is being civil and environmentally aware, we'd all get along.
    Sounds very simple, but when I'm pointing my fingers at others there's a lot more pointing back.

All the boloxoligy going on at the moment made me realize that it's an inside job first, then when I'm doing what's right I'm doing ok

No point in trying to change others or pushing my will on the world, because I'm as nuts as the pricks people are complaining about.

I don’t really have any problem with the message itself, but these people forget we are literally still on the road out of a pandemic in this country. We’ve stayed lockdown for 3 months unable to see friends and family and as we make our way out, these ****ing clowns want to hold mass gatherings for something that happened in another country, and undo everything we’ve had to suffer and work towards here since March.

Nothing stopping them from doing it in a few months when everything is back to normal if they really want their social media backslaps, but they can all **** right off if they think now is a time for this. I’ll await the “but direct provision” reply from someone now - have a question on that I’d like ye to answer if you do pop up ;)

Irish lives matter. You flutes need to understand that and stop protesting over a convicted armed robber, who put a gun to a pregnant woman, when we are at the height of a global pandemic.

Sorry what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

#TransgenderAthiestDruidQueerDisabledMuslimsLivesMatter !!!

Sorry what?

Yeah he’s right, Floyd had been in prison 5 times and once put a handgun to the stomach of a pregnant woman during a home invasion he was committing with others.

#TransgenderAthiestDruidQueerDisabledMuslimsLivesMatter !!!

What about the Agnostics and Christians lol

Fishermen, seamstress and the potato pickers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not buying it .

It was created by the oppresors ,

Or the simple fact all lives do actually matter , being watching various people come out and publicly demand others post about BLM on social media or be called a racist , sounds like a new form of social Nazisim support our cause or your getting publicly destroyed great message of oppression there .

Gatling wrote: »
    Not buying it .

Or the simple fact all lives do actually matter , being watching various people come out and publicly demand others post about BLM on social media or be called a racist , sounds like a new form of social Nazisim support our cause or your getting publicly destroyed great message of oppression there .

That's why I am having nothing to do with any of that, reminds me of someone trying to say they're a vegetarian and they go out fishing and chop the head of a trout on the bank, bring it home and eat it but they won't eat 4 legged animals and anything that has wings.

So if it has fins and swims it's okay to kill it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Cordell

iamstop wrote: »
    If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
    2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
    3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

You misspelled mansplain.
    Who are the oppressors?
    If ending police brutality is the goal then why not #endpolicebrutality?
    Why these riots always result in more violence, much more than the one that sparked them? Fighting fire with fire or something?

#alllivesmater

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah he’s right, Floyd had been in prison 5 times and once put a handgun to the stomach of a pregnant woman during a home invasion he was committing with others.

the officers likely knew how dangerous he was so employed extra aggressive tactics while restraining him , officer who killed him needs the book thrown at him but the record of mr floyd is relevant too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Gatling wrote: »
    Not buying it .

Maybe I move in different circles but nobody has asked me to post anything.

All lives matter as a way to somehow diminish black lives matter is just pure deflection.

When John Hume and others were protesting civil rights for Catholics in the North that was their protest. There was support from many parts of the world.

They were met with violence and intimidation, but not once were they met with idiots saying "all civil rights matter"

Of course all civil rights matter, that's a given their particular protest was civil rights for Catholics in NI.

The black people in America weren't of the opinion that John Hume was diminishing them.

I can support BLM, purely because all lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:

How delightfully condescending of you.

3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

You say that like your own attempt to suggest “people who don’t share my point of view are terrible humans“, isn’t just as deceitful, hateful and manipulative as the people you’re aiming to “educate”. Perhaps educating yourself as to why people would point out that all lives matter is a better use of your time and a far less divisive strategy than imagining your opinions are more important than anyone elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.

'BlackLivesMatter' hashtag is racist by the definition of the racism.

it is no less racist as 'WhitePower' hashtag

Are we allowed to make racial statements here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Here is an Irish lad in limerick getting battered for not supporting black lives matter.

https://www.facebook.com/518620081515968/posts/3466382670073013/?vh=e&d=n

Horrible stuff.

https://www.yapfiles.ru/show/2389064/df87274cfc5ebb66c5ae5d64a31869a7.mp4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

It was a joke I'd say.

It was. Joke aren't permitted by some either. Never mind on sure it will pass.
    Il keep on trucking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.

Thanks for the explanation. I would like some clarity on a couple of points.

What if my belief is that police should not be killing civilians at all ever? Certainly not unarmed civilians. Certainly not during the process of making an arrest? It seems contradictory to me to not want cops to kill anyone at all but also only to express outrage when cops kill someone from a specific race.

If the issue is that police are killing people of a particular race disproportionately then surely this means there is a proportionate level of killing that you would deem acceptable?

For example:
    A community has 30 people from Group A and 70 people from Group B.
    Police killed 10 people last year. 6 from Group A and 4 from Group B.
    It's disproportionate and so people are outraged.

Are we saying that so long as the cops keep their killing to 3 people from Group A and 7 people from Group B then we are OK with it?

Surely the issue, the MAIN issue, is that cops have killed 10 people, regardless of race?

It seems incredibly strange to me that the issue is not that cops are killing civilians but that they are killing a particular demographic at the wrong rate.

Cops: Killing civilians.
    Social Media: This is fine. Nothing to see here.
    Cops: Continue killing but killing a few too many people from one group.
    Social Media: HEY NOW! This is disproportionate!

How can you sit back and accept police killings of different groups, only becoming outraged when the killings become disproportionate, and then sit there with a straight face and accuse others of being terrible humans?

I don't use any of the hashtags because I think it's all bullsh!t.
    I reckon cops should not be killing unarmed civilians. Full stop.
    That's not a racial issue.

Once you introduce the concept of "disproportionate killing" into the mix it becomes a racial issue because you have stopped being concerned that the police are killing people in general and are only concerned that the are killing too many people from one section of society.

Or are you saying that the cops need to get down to killing people in line with the demographics of the particular country in question and THEN we'll get on to "all lives matter"?

Seems easier to just be outraged every single time the cops kill and unarmed civilian, regardless of race.

Apparently in 2018 there were 150 police officers killed in the line of duty in the USA. With the cops killing an absolutely frightening 992 civilians (451 white, 229 black, 165 hispanic, 40 other, 107 unkown).

Now THAT looks, to me, like an extremely serious social issue that transcends race.

You can't seriously be suggesting that if the cops had maybe kept the killing of black Americans down to say 150 or so then everything would be fine?

Looking at those stats why would the campaign be anything other than "all lives matter"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'm a bit confused.
    Reading the first page, I came across a quoted post:
    Originally Posted by DelaneyIn viewpost.gif
    Irish lives matter. You flutes need to understand that and stop protesting over a convicted armed robber, who put a gun to a pregnant woman, when we are at the height of a global pandemic.
    But can't find the original post. Was it deleted, or removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Little point in going on about blacks lives mattering if someone has no regard for any other lives.
    Injuring/insulting/dismissing someone for not supporting a cause is, to me, the opposite of what the point of the exercise is.

I've never done social media and it's issues like this that make me glad I never have nor never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

To the well meaning (and otherwise) #alllivesmatter folk. First off it was a response designed to counter #blacklivesmatter not support it. Second, if you're Irish, imagine if during the famine or time of the Black and Tans the Irish had #irishlivesmatter what would the response #alllivesmatter look like? At best a bit dismissive. The Black community, (and their supporters) see their lives are been given less value and are speaking up about it, not saying all other lives don't matter. It needs to be addressed not countered or dismissed.

When Colin Kaepernick kneeled to protest as far up as the President lost their minds and there was instant backlash. Black people were and are still suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This I did not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He got murdered by a cop (with 17 complaints under his belt) for passing a forged note, (we don't know if he even knew).
    The police do not carry out summary executions. You are trying to justify murder over possession of a bent note.

Just to note: I see a lot of the same folk doing their civic duty 'concerned' we might be getting too sympathetic on the wrong side of this race issue are the same folk helped us out before we got too overly sympathetic for the #metoo movement. Your insecurity racism and bigotry, passed as reasoned debate, disgusts me TBH. Let groups who feel nobody is listening have five minutes ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Why do people feel the need for #AllLivesMatter is my question?
    Like there are a lot of racism towards black people in the US (Doesn't need examples at this stage) and Europe (Just look at the abuse some footballers get).

I do think a MASSIVE problem is how people react. If someone said #AllLivesMatter to me then I'd tell them my point but not attack them. The video of the Trump supporter getting spit at and pushed as he walked through the protests was deplorable. I would disagree with his views but where is the humanity towards other people.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    To the well meaning (and otherwise) #alllivesmatter folk. First off it was a response designed to counter #blacklivesmatter not support it. Second, if you're Irish, imagine if during the famine or time of the Black and Tans the Irish had #irishlivesmatter what would the response #alllivesmatter look like? At best a bit dismissive. The Black community, (and their supporters) see their lives are been given less value and are speaking up about it, not saying all other lives don't matter. It needs to be addressed not countered or dismissed.

When Colin Kaepernick kneeled to protest as far up as the President lost their minds and there was instant backlash. Black people were and are still suffering.

I don't support the black community. I treat people as individuals based on their actions and not their skin colour. Black lives matter? Black people suffer injustice? No. Some do. At the hands of some others.

Black community? Jesus.

And really? Asking if we would be upset of there was a dismissive hashtag during the famine?

You are genuinely comparing the famine to America? A country which had a black president who served two terms, which has a somewhat disproportionate amount of wealthy black actors, musicians and celebrities? which has positive discrimination with regards educational and employment opportunities?

America has racism. Everywhere does. You can not eradicate racism. Even if you could, the way to do it would not be to treat a group as victims based on their skin colour. America's police force is not racist, but I'm sure it does have racists in it.

The martyrdom of a man, who by all accounts wasn't a particularly nice man, as the figurehead of this revolution is a misstep in my opinion.

The policemen in question were wrong. They have been charged. It will happen again.

Do we think this will all ensure that no black person is unfairly treated again? Not going to happen. White people get unfairly treated. Asian people get unfairly treated. People treat others unfairly. Simple fact. It's not tolerated and people who do so get punished.

Black lives matter only makes sense if you think that black people are an homogeneous group who all act the same, get treated the same, have the same experiences.

It's bull****.

Advertisement