Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychotherapy and counselling

• 19-04-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all!

Can anyone recommend the most reputable part time psychotherapy and counselling courses?

I'm finding it VERY confusing choosing a course due to the whole accreditation CORU debacle! It won't be finalised for years but basically CORU will be approving courses and registering counsellors and psychotherapists instead of the membership associations.

I'll be working full time while studying and I commute, so I'll need a flexible courses. Interested in ICHAS 2 year MA due to their blended learning and flexible schedule. I'd be choosing to do personal therapy as a module.

Also interested in Turning Point Institute 4 years part time masters (accredited by UCC). It's such a big decision and while I need to juggle it with my life, I want to do a reputable masters. Would anyone predict things will change massively and new courses could come on the scene when CORU are finished deliberating? Or will most just be approved? I understand the minimum is level 8.

I have level 8 honours and level 9 msc. in different fields.

Any insights/shared experience/advice would help, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bbehan202

For me (wanting to do it part time) - the Msc. in Turning Point Institute worked out the best and I got accepted. I'd advise you to write a list of questions and call and speak to each head of course as I did this before I made a decision as there are so many mini decision points. I'd also call PSI and IAHIP and ask them about the courses as well. I found them both very helpful.

1. The TPI course is IAHIP accredited (and by UCC).

Note DBS & a few others are accredited by PSI - depending on who you speak to - one is considered "better" than the other. But like in any degree/walk of life - it's all about what you make it and doing your research before you progress. If you want to get into clinical psychology obviously you'd have to go for a PSI accredited course. Again list out your questions and speak to as many people as possible.

2. The classes are one Fri, Sat and Sun every month
    3. They are flexible if you need to take a year out mid way through the 4 years
    4. I was really impressed by the course co-ordinators and location. I visited and spoke to head lecturer before I applied and saw the school. I raised my questions about CORU, career etc.

5. Some parts of the DCU course are based on weekdays (can't remember specifics) so this was a no no for me.
    6. For DCU - I got conflicting information about eligibility from the current head of course vs previous head of course as I come from a completely different background. I may be biased as I worked/studied in DCU before and found it an unnecessarily stressful environment so the thought of going back was a big no-no for me so decided against this option.
    7. I met the staff at DBS also and I must say they were super approachable and friendly and spent lots of time answering my questions but it's a path I didn't chose to pursue. The DBS course starts kind of like a normal degree again (teach you about research methodology, chi squared etc) and I've already done this so wanted to go for something more applied.

My advise to you is to write a list of questions and call and speak to as many people as possible.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Why do they take so long part time for people? If it were 2 years through PCI etc I'd consider it. But 4 years is such a long time when you've already been to college and done your bachelors or whatever :(

My assumption is the courses are for people who have other lives and have to maintain jobs to pay for the fees. It's a long haul as well and my assumption is that after Year 1 if it's not for you then it will become very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

Just jumping on here to see if anybody else has any recommendations, thoughts or advice on psychotherapy or counselling courses for the upcoming academic year?

I realise Im a bit late to the game but am hoping to get on a P/T course starting in September.

As OP mentioned, I am finding it all very confusing so just interested in what others have decided on.

• Advertisement

PCI college foundation course maybe? Then you can see if you like it and go for the 4 year PT next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GWcharlie1

yasmina wrote: »
    Just jumping on here to see if anybody else has any recommendations, thoughts or advice on psychotherapy or counselling courses for the upcoming academic year?

I realise Im a bit late to the game but am hoping to get on a P/T course starting in September.

As OP mentioned, I am finding it all very confusing so just interested in what others have decided on.

Heya,

I'm in same boat.. it's such a big decision and not a lot of time left to decide.
    I'm going to apply for turningpoint and iicp.
    I'm expecting a call tomorrow iacp who are the main accrediting body.. looking like over 40,000 in total but worth it . Have u any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

GWcharlie1 wrote: »
    Heya,

I'm in same boat.. it's such a big decision and not a lot of time left to decide.
    I'm expecting a call tomorrow iacp who are the main accrediting body.. looking like over 40,000 in total but worth it . Have u any update?

I don't have a proper update as I have had no luck is speaking with most of the providers this week which is quite frustrating. Either the lines have been down or it goes to voicemail and nobody calls back.

The only people I managed to speak to were DBS but that's not possible for me as I would not be able to attend a week night class. I am considering ICHAS but would like to speak to somebody first. I'm assuming that I would need to go in at BA level and then follow it with an MA. That's a lot of years of studying for someone of my vintage!!

I am also trying to get more info on NUIG 2 year Diploma but I feel like this may be more of a foundation level course.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere you can do a full time course in counselling/psychotherapy, all part time at weekends or evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be anywhere you can do a full time course in counselling/psychotherapy, all part time at weekends or evenings

Be aware that part of working in this field is sorting your own stuff out first, so you don't damage future clients.

This is a field that requires patience and long term dedication, so if studying over four years is too big an ask, then perhaps you're not ready for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

bbehan202 wrote: »
    Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions. :)
    Hi
    Would it be possible to DM you to ask you some questions about courses.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

GWcharlie1 wrote: »
    Heya,

Hi there, I'm just wondering how you got on with Turning Point - their hours and location suit me best compared to DBS and PCI but the fees of 6k in Year 1 put me off - do you know how much their fees in Years 2, 3 and 4 are?

Advertisement