Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair and their cancellations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I had flights cancelled via email on 20/3 but no refund yet, refund application form said 5-7 days, so should've been back for 31/3.

I've chatted to Ryanair chat twice, but no update really just that they're busy.

I'd say they're trying to spread out the cash flow but has anyone had similar experience?

Exactly same experience as yourself.
    I applied for the refund a second time and i got an email saying dont do it again. No money though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Seweryn wrote: »
    They say that they will refund within 28 days.

Thanks Seweryn, I didn't see that - I'll have a look now. Suppose their's some EU261 obligation but don't think I'd be in position to argue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Thanks Seweryn, I didn't see that - I'll have a look now. Suppose their's some EU261 obligation but don't think I'd be in position to argue with them.

EU261 does not apply in these circumstances. However a refund should be due on all cancelled flights including were only 1 leg of a return was cancelled assuming it is part of the same booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No worries. I was told that when chatting on their online chat. I am also awaiting their refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Can they do this?

If it prevents Airlines going out of business, then its a wise, if unpopular, step to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I doubt if our Government can do without EU approval but it is possible the EU can and will do.
    The long term economy of tourism will take precedent over the rights of the individual.
    We are just being got read for what is likely coming.

EasyJet are having the same problem with cancellations/refunds as Ryanair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Inquitus wrote: »
    If it prevents Airlines going out of business, then its a wise, if unpopular, step to take.

So they get paid, in advance to provide a service.

The service is cancelled so no pilots, cabin crew, fuel, maintenance, landing fees etc etc to pay for by airline but let them keep the money.
    Am I missing something here or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Im hoping someone can help. I had 2 flights booked with Ryanair which have being cancelled. Im entitled to a refund but unfortunately the card I used to book the flights with was lost 2 weeks ago and cancelled.

Does anyone know what will happen if I apply for the refund or whagt I need to do next,

• Advertisement

So they get paid, in advance to provide a service.

The service is cancelled so no pilots, cabin crew, fuel, maintenance, landing fees etc etc to pay for by airline but let them keep the money.
    Am I missing something here or what?

Airplane lease fees, parking fees, Owned aircraft depreciation, ongoing maintenance requirements for grounded airplanes. The costs to the airlines are massive, their fixed costs are massive.

Airplane lease fees, parking fees, Owned aircraft depreciation, ongoing maintenance requirements for grounded airplanes. The costs to the airlines are massive, their fixed costs are massive.

Its still not fair.

I'm waiting on a refund approx €1500 ( refund application sent since March 21).
    Temporary laid off so now one of the Covid350 brigade. The difference in this payment means clearing my credit card or not.

If Ryanair pays my money back, I'll travel again with them no problem, if not that's it, calling a day on them.

Its still not fair.

I'm waiting on a refund approx €1500 ( refund application sent since March 21).
    Temporary laid off so now one of the Covid350 brigade. The difference in this payment means clearing my credit card or not.

If Ryanair pays my money back, I'll travel again with them no problem, if not that's it, calling a day on them.

Actually come to think of it, maybe I can claim a refund on my credit card if Ryanair hold out?

Actually come to think of it, maybe I can claim a refund on my credit card if Ryanair hold out?

That's defo the best way to go, you should be able to get all the money back if your CC has decent protections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Their fixed costs are massive. As are their profits of €1,000,000,000 for 2020 financial year. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesasquith/2020/04/06/ryanair-still-expects-to-make-1-billion-profit-in-2020-financial-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

It’s more than likely they’ve received a rent holiday on their lease fees, the lessors have been very understanding at this time.

Depreciation is balanced by Boeing’s likely reduced price offer on the Max’s when they’re back in the air. Ryanair will be one of few looking so they’ll get a good deal.

The ongoing cost of maintenance would be high, with a few calendar check items expiring and parking fees too, but nothing over the income from ticket sales.

I do agree that Airlines fixed costs are huge & government needs to step in, with a wage agreement so staff can be retained without impacting daily cash flow, but the lack of communication from Ryanair looks as if they’re holding out for some voucher form of reimbursement from the EU instead of paying customers their money.

They’d easy push fares up to negate voucher then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭john boye

Probably not the place to post this but father in law has applied for a refund for a cancelled flight which he paid for using PayPal with a bank card which has since expired. Will that cause a problem if/when they go to refund him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

john boye wrote: »
    Probably not the place to post this but father in law has applied for a refund for a cancelled flight which he paid for using PayPal with a bank card which has since expired. Will that cause a problem if/when they go to refund him?

I'm pretty sure it's his PayPal account that will be refunded rather than his card. Ryanair wouldn't have any of his card details. PayPal then send the refund the card currently registered on his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Im hoping someone can help. I had 2 flights booked with Ryanair which have being cancelled. Im entitled to a refund but unfortunately the card I used to book the flights with was lost 2 weeks ago and cancelled.

Does anyone know what will happen if I apply for the refund or whagt I need to do next,
    Should be fine. The money will just be refunded to the new card linked to the same account.

Happened to me recently with an expired credit card.

I was having a look about this, this seems to be the way it's going.

https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-vouchers-refund

I expect the airlines are stalling for a week or so.
    To paraphrase Charlton Heston, if you want your money back you will have to take it from their cold, dead hands.

• Advertisement

I was having a look about this, this seems to be the way it's going.

https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-vouchers-refund

I expect the airlines are stalling for a week or so.
    To paraphrase Charlton Heston, if you want your money back you will have to take it from their cold, dead hands.

I guess chargeback on credit cards is the way forward.
    The last thing I want are Ryanair vouchers.
    People buy those things for people they hate :)

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I guess chargeback on credit cards is the way forward.
    The last thing I want are Ryanair vouchers.
    People buy those things for people they hate :)

This is getting to be live issue.
    I am wondering if anyone contacted credit card re-refund, i am just wondering where they at on this one.
    I expect to have a cancelled flight in the coming days but i will opt to change.
    Nobody ever hated me enough to buy me a flight.

This is getting to be live issue.
    I am wondering if anyone contacted credit card re-refund, i am just wondering where they at on this one.
    I expect to have a cancelled flight in the coming days but i will opt to change.
    Nobody ever hated me enough to buy me a flight.

I contacted my credit card provider (AIB) today and explained situation.
    Basically told me if airline offered a credit note of some sort then the bank won't be offering to cancel the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm at the end of my tether with Ryanair. Was due to go to Italy 20.03. Outbound and return flights cancelled 10.03. Two emails arrived that evening (one for each leg) offering me rescheduling or refund. Outbound, no problem, refund to my Paypal account instantly. Did think the amount was odd (less than half of what I'd paid) but figured the return flight must have been more expensive. Return leg, refund would not work.Tried many times, app and several browsers. Got on to their twitter folk who sent me a refund form to complete and assured me that I would get the full balance refunded (the amount on the second email meant I was over €20 down on what I'd paid) as soon as possible.

No sign of the money, and now unemployed, I contacted them on their live chat last week. Was told that there was a paypal problem and that it would be resubmitted but would take up to 28 days to be paid. I disputed this given that the first refund was instant. No luck.

Then tonight I received an email from Ryanair with a voucher, telling me that if I wanted a refund I would have to wait until this pandemic was over!! I can't understand why there's a problem in the first place, both flights were absolutely cancelled and before things went really crazy. I got a partial refund instantly but now they want me to wait indefinitely - cos I'm definitely not taking the voucher. This is really not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

The regulator is very silent on this matter. It’s a pity really. All they had to do was get tough with Ryanair once

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm at the end of my tether with Ryanair. Was due to go to Italy 20.03. Outbound and return flights cancelled 10.03. Two emails arrived that evening (one for each leg) offering me rescheduling or refund. Outbound, no problem, refund to my Paypal account instantly. Did think the amount was odd (less than half of what I'd paid) but figured the return flight must have been more expensive. Return leg, refund would not work.Tried many times, app and several browsers. Got on to their twitter folk who sent me a refund form to complete and assured me that I would get the full balance refunded (the amount on the second email meant I was over €20 down on what I'd paid) as soon as possible.

No sign of the money, and now unemployed, I contacted them on their live chat last week. Was told that there was a paypal problem and that it would be resubmitted but would take up to 28 days to be paid. I disputed this given that the first refund was instant. No luck.

Then tonight I received an email from Ryanair with a voucher, telling me that if I wanted a refund I would have to wait until this pandemic was over!! I can't understand why there's a problem in the first place, both flights were absolutely cancelled and before things went really crazy. I got a partial refund instantly but now they want me to wait indefinitely - cos I'm definitely not taking the voucher. This is really not acceptable.

They owe me €550 so far and I filled in the refund forms twice now at this stage, First time was 25 days ago and nada.

I have two more sets of return flights booked of €450 and €430 for flights in the summer which havent been cancelled yet. I am assuming they wont be flying by then.

I dont want a voucher off them for €1500 worth of flight with them that will have some sh1tty terms and conditions attached to them, so much so that I will not be able to use them for any flights I want. If i even want flights.

You could be sitting there with vouchers you cant use until they expire or the airline goes bust. Either way there is a high chance you lose your money with vouchers. I gave them cash for a service they did not deliver. I want cash back. If I feel like it I will pay them that cash again for flights in the future, but it is not their cash at all.

This is not on at all form the airlines.

adam88 wrote: »
    The regulator is very silent on this matter. It’s a pity really. All they had to do was get tough with Ryanair once

Getting tough with the general airline industry at the moment is not going to happen as even the bigger ones looking for support, Ryanair has said prett ok. I was told by someone told me EasyJet about 3 months, Lufthansa looking for support. Both the German and Dutch Governments are in support of vouchers, they have two of the bigger carriers in Europe.
    If Governments EU enforce regulation it will fall back to them to try to help the Air carriers to carry the tourist money.
    I fully expect i will be getting a voucher which is ok for me as cheap flight.
    Now if i had put i couple of GRAND into a trip i likely be thinking different.

I contacted my credit card provider (AIB) today and explained situation.
    Basically told me if airline offered a credit note of some sort then the bank won't be offering to cancel the payment.

Thanks for that, i have being curious about this and i could not ask credit card company as i am not looking to get refund...

I posted this elsewhere. It might be useful

Right so eventually I got talking to someone in the CC company.
    They said if I paid for the flights on the understanding that I would fly then the airline didnt deliver their end of the transaction, no matter what the reason, they cannot keep the money I paid. They cannot substitute the money I paid for other goods, eg vouchers either.

She said dont accept anything but a refund on my card if thats what I want.
    When the date pf the flights passes I am to initiate a charge back on my card and they will take care of the rest. If I dont get the flights the money will go back onto my card basically.

I asked her did that apply to the issuer of my other card and she said I have to ring them and as, that she could not comment for them. So ring your own issuer and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I believe we have to wait 30 days from the date of refund application before applying for the charge back, as that's what is stated on the form from the bank.

Advertisement