Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about this guy's new quadratic solving method

• 10-12-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭

Just trying to visualise his method graphically and want to double check.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/amp30152083/solve-quadratic-equations/

So at 1:46 when he says the 2 numbers must be the same distance away from their average. Does he mean the "average" is the X value which is half way between the 2 roots?

Anyone any other solving quadratic method besides the -b , completing the square or guessing by add and multiply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That. Was. Stunning(ly beautiful in its simplicity).
    Mind. Blown.

Yes, as best as I can make out the average he refers to is the average of the two roots. Chosing it in the form he does makes the product (x+u)(x-u) = x²-u² which he can then solve easily. I am stunned at how simple he's made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I really like this method. Thanks for sharing it.

Another method is completing the squares, which is typically used in deriving the -b formula.

This method is kind of the same as completing the squares, but I think that it seems much simpler to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭zv2

This is amazing. I'm looking at it in terms of modular arithmetic:

ax = 1 (mod m)

(a + x)/2 = u

u^2 - v^2 = 1 (mod m)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Where did he get the 4 to begin with? Why 4?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Because if you have two numbers that sum to 8 i.e.

y + z = 8

their average must be

(y + z)/2 = 4.

The average is useful, because the average of two numbers is always exactly midway between the two.

In this case:

y............4............z
    <---u---> <---u--->

So, in this example, y is 4 - u and z is 4 + u.
    Proof that average of two numbers lies midway between the two numbers:

Distance of y from average:

(y + z)/2 - y = (z - y)/2

Distance of z from average:

z - (y + z)/2 = (z - y)/2

i.e. both the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement