Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever appeared on TV or spoken on radio?

• 27-09-2019 5:55pm

I pose this question to the ordinary folk here whose day to day life does not normally involve being on TV, in film or on radio or who is not called upon as an occasional contributor to any show.

Speaking for myself I made a TV appearance in the very early 60s as a baby! My uncle, who had been making films in India for years, returned to Ireland to retire as he was seriously ill, and did small bits of work on behalf of the newly founded RTE. He produced the earliest road safety films, which involved a cast of many of my extended family, and with my creative aunt hand producing 3D models for demonstrating correct road-craft. Some professional actors were hired. Joe Lynch was the narrator, and a 19 year old Mike Murphy was my distracted father rushing off in his car, having kissed his wife, my mother (then aged 42 but looking younger) and me, the babe in my mother’s arms. Mike then made every mistake in the driver’s book, nearly crashing into my real father’s car. My Dad found it only too easy to appear very disapproving if Mike’s driving. I think the name of the film was titled “Turn of the wheel”.

I was a guest once on Fr Michael Cleary’s radio show, there for the duration of the show and nervously speaking about organ donation. I also spoke briefly as a caller on Joe Duffy’s Liveline, on the same program that the late Frank Deasy spoke about his need for an urgent liver transplant. My mother had very recently died aged 89, and I made the point that it may be possible for a person of any age to usefully donate certain tissues, and not to rule out offering donor tissues just because your loved one died at an advanced age. I think I just about got my point across in spite of Joe Duffy trying to focus on the fact my mother had died so recently.

Would love to hear any suchlike anecdotes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm on TV most evenings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I was a guest once on Fr Michael Cleary’s radio show, there for the duration of the show and nervously speaking about organ donation.

Michael Cleary, now there was a man that knew all about giving other people his organ.

Only if being in a radio studio asked to whoop as our JNLR figures were bigged up counts.

Michael Cleary, now there was a man that knew all about giving other people his organ.

He gave me a lift home after the show, behaved perfectly even though I was a young flirty type female. However his driving was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I pose this question to the ordinary folk here whose day to day life does not normally involve being on TV, in film or on radio or who is not called upon as an occasional contributor to any show.

Speaking for myself I made a TV appearance in the very early 60s as a baby! My uncle, who had been making films in India for years, returned to Ireland to retire as he was seriously ill, and did small bits of work on behalf of the newly founded RTE. He produced the earliest road safety films, which involved a cast of many of my extended family, and with my creative aunt hand producing 3D models for demonstrating correct road-craft. Some professional actors were hired. Joe Lynch was the narrator, and a 19 year old Mike Murphy was my distracted father rushing off in his car, having kissed his wife, my mother (then aged 42 but looking younger) and me, the babe in my mother’s arms. Mike then made every mistake in the driver’s book, nearly crashing into my real father’s car. My Dad found it only too easy to appear very disapproving if Mike’s driving. I think the name of the film was titled “Turn of the wheel”.

I was a guest once on Fr Michael Cleary’s radio show, there for the duration of the show and nervously speaking about organ donation. I also spoke briefly as a caller on Joe Duffy’s Liveline, on the same program that the late Frank Deasy spoke about his need for an urgent liver transplant. My mother had very recently died aged 89, and I made the point that it may be possible for a person of any age to usefully donate certain tissues, and not to rule out offering donor tissues just because your loved one died at an advanced age. I think I just about got my point across in spite of Joe Duffy trying to focus on the fact my mother had died so recently.

I've made three very fleeting appearances in two RTE documentaries and a TG4 newsfeature.

The road safety film you were in sounds interesting. Do you know if a copy of it still exists? A lot of Irish public information films from the 60's/70's and 80's are missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have twice that I know of...

Once on the den years ago and then was a internet sensation for a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Made a fool out of Marty Whelan once, and he consequently made a fool of me :D

I've made three very fleeting appearances in two RTE documentaries and a TG4 newsfeature.

The road safety film you were in sounds interesting. Do you know if a copy of it still exists? A lot of Irish public information films from the 60's/70's and 80's are missing.

I don’t know if a copy exists, but there is at least a record of it having existed. Would love to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yes - both

maccored wrote: »
    yes - both

I'd say you were riveting. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive been interviewed to promote an event i was organising on local radio, they just rang me up - never heard it broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I was on an episode of Irish tv once

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I starred in the film the phone box

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd say you were riveting. :p

they didnt get much out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vulchor

no cause i`m shy asf haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭jacool

RTE Radio 1 - Read a prayer during a mass from my secondary school
    RTE1 TV - Where In The World (knocked out in first round)
    Galway Bay FM - Song I recorded played on the "new music" slot.

I can post out autographs if needs be ! ! ! ! !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Twice on the Aidan Leonard show on 2fm in the 90s. Both times, I won tickets to gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just a few small appearances.

Murphy's Micro Quiz in the 80's - They fecked up the recording so we had to go through the entire first half of the show again and try to remember the answers to the questions that we got right. They even said throw a wrong answer in for the craic if you knew someone else had the right answer. I had to kick ass in Pac-Man again and the old man had to win at computer darts again, mucho excitement!!! Fave memory is in the Green Room with Olivia, ex Miss Ireland, and me a 14 year old raging hormone young lad. Bewbs.

Dave Fanning show - Recorded 3 tracks in Studio 1 (I think) and Dave played them a few weeks later as part of unsigned up and coming bands thing, there might have been a quick interview in there as well, can't remember. Had an absolute gent of a sound engineer that told loads of stories of people he had recorded. Ledge.

Athlone Community Radio - This took a long time to do, as again, it was fecked up because there wasn't supposed to be an interviewer there, just a bunch of us reminiscing on what it was like growing up in the 90's in our crappy town. Had to do it again with a completely different crowd of people. Enjoyed that to be honest.

A shot from the road safety film with Mike Murphy, my mother and myself, outside a house in Mount Merrion

A shot from the road safety film with Mike Murphy, my mother and myself, outside a house in Mount Merrion

Thanks. Only saw this now. Mike looks very young.

• Advertisement

The IFI appear to have a copy of it.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=36639

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was on Countdown about 20 years ago (lost to the eventual series winner or runner up, can't remember which). Back in the Richard and Carol days, with Susie Dent and Richard's girlfriend in Dictionary Corner.

Was interviewed on radio over here about it some time after (can't remember what station, and have no memory of why!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I won a sporting event and then was later asked by a news crew to re-enact the finish and the re-enactment was then shown on the nightly news. This is back in Oz.

The IFI appear to have a copy of it.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=36639

Bill Moylan was my aunt’s husband, died shortly after that from cancer. He owned Munster House Productions, which was named after the house where they lived in Bray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Yes.

I forgot to mention a local Dublin radio interview I did whilst working in Dublin City Libraries. I ran a children’s drama group in the library, and we were doing a short mime play I had devised, called “Through the Year”. It started with a signing of the title by all in Deaf Sign Language and was followed by a mime depiction of regular event in any year, staring with the imaginary blinking of champagne glasses at the break of new year. The children & I did a recorded interview, not sure if it wasn’t AnnaLivia Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mountai

I " Talked to Joe" ---- once !!.

mountai wrote: »
    I " Talked to Joe" ---- once !!.

Wow! Tell us more, we made have a comment or two registered on the iconic ironic Lahv Lahn thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I appeared behind goal at the Ireland 1-0 Germany match of a few years ago. A few nights later, before the next game, RTE used a close-up of me in a highlights montage of fans cheering the goal against Germany. They must have thought my reaction was interesting. I was just clapping and shaking my head, whilst everyone around me jumped about like a lunatic.

I was also the guy who hung Saddam Hussein, but that's a story for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,470 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes. Radio loads of times. TV just twice.
    I have a face for radio.

Advertisement