Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Is that open to the public?

Yes but it costs €50 for non members

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Is that open to the public?

Yes but it costs €50 for non members
    Steep enough! Would be nice to have a regular commuter there to represent the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I saw a photo of a cycle lane with a double decker bus driving on it.

genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I saw a photo of a cycle lane with a double decker bus driving on it.

genius

Summer Hill North shared bus/cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That looks like a cyclist in a bus lane, not a bus in a cycle lane.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    That looks like a cyclist in a bus lane, not a bus in a cycle lane.

Edit: my bad, it's Summer Hill NORTH not south - CCC-U19, I wronged the lads on CMATS: that's currently all parking, The Cork Cycle Network Plan 2017 proposes a cycleway. The shared bus lane seems reasonable.

Road Name:
    Summerhill
    Section (where applicable): MacCurtain Street to Middle Glanmire Road
    Existing Facility and Quality of Service:
    There are currently no dedicated cycling facilities on this route.
    Proposed Infrastructure Type: This is proposed as a primary route with on-road cycle lanes that will require management of on-street car parking to provide necessary width for cycle lanes and potentially will require a portion of the existing footpath at particularly constrained locations. An uphill cycle lane should be prioritised where road space is limited.
    Key Locations Served: Surrounding residential area, link to the City Centre, St, Luke’s School (via Victoria Terrace).
    Pinch Points/Constraints: Traffic and car parking management will be required in order to provide adequate road width for dedicated cycle lanes. A mixed street, traffic calmed environment with
    junction treatments to alert motorists to cyclists may be implemented if the necessary road width cannot be provided at some points along this route.

Overall document here:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Cork_Met_Area_Transport_Stategy__May19_SCREEN.pdf

They're calling it a draft and I believe they're going to look for public consultation on it:
    The National Transport Authority, the “Authority”, invites written submissions or observations on the Cork Metropolitan Area Draft Transport Strategy 2040 (the “Draft Strategy”).
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/consultation-on-cork-metropolitan-area-draft-transport-strategy-2040/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

My biggest problem with the CMATS document, is in the poor coverage of the infrastructure that commuters use getting into the city, or associated business parks from the surrounding towns in the region.

If you look at at AADT of the roads leading to Cork City, roads such as the N22, N25, N20, N28 and N71 are significantly over capacity, but the plan primarily addressed the inner-city infrastructure, with the exception of the additional stations and commuter rail concept on the existing rail infrastructure to Mallow, Middleton and Cobh.

There are some Park and Ride solutions at Ballincollig, Blarney and Dunkettle, however for the majority of commuters, these won't entice them to swap car for public transport.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see the plan and services such as Commuter Rail (which should be build immediately as far as I am concerned) and the Bus Connect corridors, but i believe they missed out in addressing this key area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

My biggest problem with the CMATS document, is in the poor coverage of the infrastructure that commuters use getting into the city, or associated business parks from the surrounding towns in the region.

If you look at at AADT of the roads leading to Cork City, roads such as the N22, N25, N20, N28 and N71 are significantly over capacity, but the plan primarily addressed the inner-city infrastructure, with the exception of the additional stations and commuter rail concept on the existing rail infrastructure to Mallow, Middleton and Cobh.

There are some Park and Ride solutions at Ballincollig, Blarney and Dunkettle, however for the majority of commuters, these won't entice them to swap car for public transport.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see the plan and services such as Commuter Rail (which should be build immediately as far as I am concerned) and the Bus Connect corridors, but i believe they missed out in addressing this key area.
    The infrastructure element pretty much covers the urban area with bus corridors, where all the significant delay is.

My biggest issue is that the plan lacks ambition and won't be timely. The infrastructure being a decade away and the goals for sustainable mode share are lower than Dublin's current set up. The projections are probably conservative though. Well have to wait to see the detailed design of the bus corridors.

The City Council's Helen Keller-esque roads department produced some horrendous crap for the Wilton road corridor which the NTA will now redesign. Another argument against local government i suppose

I suspect that their brief was deliberately curtailed: "keep it to the metropolitan area, don't focus on the towns further out".

cgcsb wrote: »
    My biggest issue is that the plan lacks ambition and won't be timely. The infrastructure being a decade away and the goals for sustainable mode share are lower than Dublin's current set up. The projections are probably conservative though. Well have to wait to see the detailed design of the bus corridors.

The City Council's Helen Keller-esque roads department produced some horrendous crap for the Wilton road corridor which the NTA will now redesign. Another argument against local government i suppose

There is some extremely low-hanging-fruit on the sustainable transport corridors into the city from the suburbs, and between the suburbs and the industrial estates. But they can't see what they don't want to see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

The public consultation closes tomorrow. It has only a 4% target share for cycling and retains a lot of car dependency, I would recommend a submission.

The plan actually envisions an INCREASE in the total number of car trips and spending most of the money on roads. It's a remarkably unambitious plan in scope.

In terms of individual projects it seems to be budgets defining the time line. The major capital intensive projects in Dublin are due to be finished in 2027 (read 2030 if you're being optimistic) Metrolink, BusConnects and DART expansion will cost the exchequer €8bn, so running capital intensive projects at the same time in Cork is a non runner. The M20 will probably also be built in this decade.

Dats me wrote: »
    The public consultation closes tomorrow. It has only a 4% target share for cycling and retains a lot of car dependency, I would recommend a submission.

Except that 4.5% based on the premise that they started at a 2011 base cycling rate of 3.3%. But they already stated that figure was 1.1% everywhere else.
    See page 58 here:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Transport_Modelling_Assessment_Report.pdf

It gets worse though, because they say if they don't do any CMATS at all, cycling will only grow to 4% by 2040. And if they do CMATS in full (spending €230m) then cycling will grow to 4.5%.

And you think all the above is confusing, well that's perhaps because the cycling estimates are based on literally zero real data whatsoever. And the average cycling speed has been taken to be 12kmh on every route (hilly or flat).

Oh and that €230m? That's based on how much it cost to do similar projects in Dublin, by the way.

It's poorly thought out alright, certainly the projections are half arsed. I think if proper bus corridors and cycle routes are put in as per Dublin's BusConnects you can expect the mode share to improve by a lot more than is being predicted.

Any news on publication date for the final CMATS?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Any news on publication date for the final CMATS?

Might be worth a Freedom of Information request at this stage

• Advertisement

As if it matters? The plan is to literally do nothing until 2030, which is politics speak for such a length of time that we'll all be dead anyway.

According to the Irish Examiner CMATS to be launched tomorrow

From tomorrow's @irishexaminer https://twitter.com/limerickcitybiz/status/1235700295105011713/photo/1

Is it not already launched? Is this not a 'relaunched'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is it not already launched? Is this not a 'relaunched'.

That was the draft put out for pubic consultation, this is the final one.

Doesn’t seem to be much changed going by the media reports. And the laughable timelines are presumably still there

I haven't got into the detail yet, but the headline figures are fairly disappointing. Still 49% driving and 4% cycling in 2040.
    The "do min" scenario is almost as attractive as CMATS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's rubbish and completely unambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Not sure why it is in the news today but a couple articles about CMATS yesterday/today

Echo Live

Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not sure why it is in the news today but a couple articles about CMATS yesterday/today

Echo Live

Examiner

The NTA made a presentation on it to the Cork City Council on Monday evening so that's why it's in the news.

• Advertisement

Is there any new information? has an explanation been offered as to why the plan is a)car centric and b)so far into the future given we currently have a pandemic, climate crisis and housing crisis?

Advertisement