Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roland XV-88 - Repair Broken Key?

Options
  • 26-08-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Today my trusty XV-88 developed a stuck key. My D2. It's like it's detached/broken away from the hammer weight, it stays depressed and worst of all it won't stop sounding.

I need to fix this as I don't fancy just playing tunes in the key of D. I've looked at a few YouTube videos and it seems doable to me. I haven't dismantled the synth just yet so I don't know what's actually broken.

Have any of you dismantled or repaired/replaced keys on a Roland hammer action keyboard?

If so, was it easy? Is there anything specific that I should look out for or be extra careful with? I need this repair to work as I'd hate to loose this synth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Google Roland XV-88 key repair, there are a few Youtube videos showing the key assembly, with that you should be able to have a look and see what's wrong and if it's an easy fix.

There is nothing too tricky going on with these, if something has snapped then it may be an issue but you won't know til you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll resurrect this rather than start another.

I haven't used this keyboard since my OP. Due to lockdown boredom I took it apart a few weeks ago with the help of YouTube. It's a big set of keys so dismantling looks daunting but in reality it's not that difficult. In fact there's little going on below that steel casing other than the keybed. It's best to leave it on the stand and dismantle from below.

I easily popped out the offending key and removed the broken weight. I glued the weight back into position and reassembled. All good.

Three weeks later, (today), the G3 went the same way so I'd to do it all over again. It takes over an hour to dismantle, remove, refit and reassemble. Repeated dismantling will ultimately take it's toll so I reckon it's time to get a new set of hammer weights and replacing all 88 as plenty of other weights are cracked and it's only a matter of time before more break.

EDIT: 28/7 - B3 has now fractured and will need repair. Way too expensive to replace these weights in this old girl so instead I'll remove all 88 keys and weights and use some form of glue/epoxy to strengthen them. Time consuming task but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theREALskylark

hey crosstownk...

can you give an update on your glue/epoxy fix?

i've been using a hot glue gun for years and it actually works very well... the glue has the perfect amount of 'give', it's no brittle at all... BUT it's tricky to apply as thinly as needed... use a little too much and the counterweights won't fit through the holes in the chassis...

so i'm wondering if epoxy might be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hi @theREALskylark

I still haven't got around to doing all the keys. I've done 2 or maybe 3 since the last post. So far the superglue (Loctite) has held up an the few keys I've used it on.

Since lockdowns and restrictions ended I haven't really being tinkering much with the XV but addressing all keys is still a project long fingered for a rainy day.

Advertisement