Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork - Light Rail [route options idenfication and initial design underway]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Given the success of the Deise Greenway and the planned one Waterford to New Ross I cant see that Cork-Rosslaire line coming about.... would be a hell of a cycle though!

Impossible given that the Mallow to Dungarvan section was completely sold to farmers with all bridges basically dismantled.

I doubt a Billion would reopen it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork Luas to have 25 stops and carry 46 million passengers per year; City Hall director says it will happen

First murmurs in the media for a while, in summary if absolutely everything goes right we might have it by 2040

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

If they had any sense they'd send it under the city centre, as Dublin should have.

State should be prioritising these kinds of projects over more motorway in the arse bog of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

46m pax a year is an interesting figure considering two lines won three times as many stations don't manage that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's just a pitty that the official timeline and plan, which is rarely stuck to in this country, will see literally nothing done to improve transport in Cork until 2030 at the earliest. Yet Cork is intended to be the fastest growing city by populatio as per Ireland 2040, go figure that one out.

I wouldn't fret though because the 3 big Dublin projects will now certainly not hit their 2027 deadline given not a solitary sod has been turned yet on either of them. And of course only one of them is likely happen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

If the CCC were serious about this project they why are they planning to squander money on an upgrade on the Pairc ui Caoimhe Blackrock Mahon Rochestown walkway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If the CCC were serious about this project they why are they planning to squander money on an upgrade on the Pairc ui Caoimhe Blackrock Mahon Rochestown walkway ?
    Are you saying they shouldn't spend any money on the line between now and some point in the next 20 years? Also the two things aren't necessarily incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

D.L.R. wrote: »
    If they had any sense they'd send it under the city centre, as Dublin should have.

State should be prioritising these kinds of projects over more motorway in the arse bog of nowhere.

Hope they spec top of the line pumps when Cork inevitably floods!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Tunneling is very difficult to do in Cork City Centre given soil quality. The cost alone would be prohibitive, but there'd also be huge risk of settlement or subsidence on a significant amount of the existing buildings.

It is, however, completely pointless to have a light rail system in the city without major rerouting and pedestrianisation in the centre. I've found at the moment there's absolutely no incentive to use public transport in the city due to the shockingly low speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That sounds like something someone who doesn't use public transport would say

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

snotboogie wrote: »
    Cork Luas to have 25 stops and carry 46 million passengers per year; City Hall director says it will happen

First murmurs in the media for a while, in summary if absolutely everything goes right we might have it by 2040

Christ what utter crap. The timeline Cork could land a man on the moon before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Is there any upcoming election or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Luckily cork isn't huge ,a few more qbc s would make a huge difference . A luas ( or brt ) is a no brainer from balincolig to mahon (and maybe on to carrigaline ringaskiddy eventually ) ,but that could be done piecemeal allowing buses to use the parts that have been done ... (I'd love to see an n 40 brt as well ,either cannibalising a traffic lane or hard shoulder running ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Luckily cork isn't huge ,a few more qbc s would make a huge difference . A luas ( or brt ) is a no brainer from balincolig to mahon (and maybe on to carrigaline ringaskiddy eventually ) ,but that could be done piecemeal allowing buses to use the parts that have been done ... (I'd love to see an n 40 brt as well ,either cannibalising a traffic lane or hard shoulder running ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

AngryLips wrote: »
    That sounds like something someone who doesn't use public transport would say

This comment makes zero sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wonder how much of the Blackrock line they'll use. Its the obvious choice in terms of implementation but it only has population and businesses on one side for large segments, I'd be afraid if its not close or visible people won't use it.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Wonder how much of the Blackrock line they'll use. Its the obvious choice in terms of implementation but it only has population and businesses on one side for large segments, I'd be afraid if its not close or visible people won't use it.

I don't think there's any danger of any piece of public transport infrastructure in any Irish city will be under used for the foreseeable future. We've never over provided public transport so I don't think there's cause to be afraid of doing so.

Hasn't the whole water taxi ,harbour ferry thing been proposed before ? , if they just set up more accessible cross river ferries ,Passage and monkstown are quite close to the cobh rail line, parts of ringaskiddy too, whitegate and aghada are near enough to cobh as well .. carrigaline is too far in land .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Instead of spending billions and not getting a service delivered this side of 2040 here's a readymade solution at a fraction of the cost. The Van Hool Trambus.
    I've travelled on the network in the French city of Metz SEE HERE and the experience is similar to a light rail tram (LUAS).
    Motive power can be hybrid, CNG, fuel cell, overhead cable/ battery.
    The vehicles can built to run on battery in the city centre (no overhead wires needed and no installation disruption to business's) and on electricity from overhead wires (which recharge the battery pack) when in the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Instead of spending billions and not getting a service delivered this side of 2040 here's a readymade solution at a fraction of the cost. The Van Hool Trambus.
    I've travelled on the network in the French city of Metz SEE HERE and the experience is similar to a light rail tram (LUAS).
    Motive power can be hybrid, CNG, fuel cell, overhead cable/ battery.
    The vehicles can built to run on battery in the city centre (no overhead wires needed and no installation disruption to business's) and on electricity from overhead wires (which recharge the battery pack) when in the suburbs.

One thing Dublin did was do transport infrastructure on the cheap. Instead of biting the bullet and building a Metro many, many years ago, a light rail system was built instead. It is now at breaking point and does not carry enough people, despite sitting on a Metro/Heavy Rail alignment in part.

Cork would do well to do it properly from the get go with a system that can carry as many people as possible. That is the lesson of public transport in Ireland - anything built is almost immediately at capacity. A bus system is typically a lower capacity, inefficient solution for a city as large as Cork.

The city of Innsbruck is about the size of Limerick. It has a 4 line electric commuter train network. 4 tram routes, an extensive lettered bus network similar to what bus connects proposes with traffic light priority and of course 24 hr buses on main routes. Literally nobody there says maybe we have too much public transport, the anglosphere influences our thinking here quite a bit, there is an underlying subtext that public transport needs to generate profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

donvito99 wrote: »
    One thing Dublin did was do transport infrastructure on the cheap. Instead of biting the bullet and building a Metro many, many years ago, a light rail system was built instead. It is now at breaking point and does not carry enough people, despite sitting on a Metro/Heavy Rail alignment in part.

Cork would do well to do it properly from the get go with a system that can carry as many people as possible. That is the lesson of public transport in Ireland - anything built is almost immediately at capacity. A bus system is typically a lower capacity, inefficient solution for a city as large as Cork.

this is absolutely true! BUT , BUT as if the morons here, would EVER have put in a metro first, can you imagine, the unusuable luas now at peak times, with the worlds longest trams, cant even cope and was called a white elephant, by many morons in the media, politicians etc. it causes havoc with other modes of transport. Going from buses, straight to metro here, would never happen, they always have to have the bull**** cheap, short term solution...

Dont think you can get driverless on street trams, but if you can, do that down there! Or the drivers will be shutting down your system every few years!

advantages I see with bus, way cheaper, flexible, can re route, no issues with cyclists etc crashing off bikes. You can get electric buses. the disruption to business here was significant during construction, and the cables have to be run everywhere, unsightly services boxes etc. Also the luas crawls along in the city centre, barely above walking speed, assume it would be the same in cork... The luas only runs until 12:30 am for god sake, for whatever reason. At least buses are far easier to run at any time.

We actually can't even have a full cycle lane on the quays we have to have a cheapo 'temporary' one that disappears in parts, after 10 years of planning and 10 million already spent until a proper one can be delivered in 2024(newspeak for 2030).

cgcsb wrote: »
    The city of Innsbruck is about the size of Limerick. It has a 4 line electric commuter train network. 4 tram routes, an extensive lettered bus network similar to what bus connects proposes with traffic light priority and of course 24 hr buses on main routes. Literally nobody there says maybe we have too much public transport, the anglosphere influences our thinking here quite a bit, there is an underlying subtext that public transport needs to generate profit.

I was in the city of Gap (Eastern France) last summer and all the city bus routes are free
    The concept was adopted as far back as 2005 as an incentive to get residents to abandon their cars for commuting to and from the city.
    However, unlike here in Ireland there are local taxes which pay for such services (including refuse collection) so the profit peramiter does not exist.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Dont think you can get driverless on street trams, but if you can, do that down there! Or the drivers will be shutting down your system every few years!

Yes there are driverless trams, the City of Lille in France has had them since 1983

donvito99 wrote: »

Trambus is not a 'cheap' solution, because it is not necessary to lay rails plus overhead cables can be avoided on city centre sections it is a far quicker and hugely less disruptive to local commerce instalation process.
    The end product offers a travel experience the same as a tram on rails 'though, in particular, the electric version of the Trambus, because it runs on rubber tyres, is far quieter both internally and externally. I've used both.
    A choice from the full range of fuels from fossil and renewable sources can selected as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Yes there are driverless trams, the City of Lille in France has had them since 1983

Right, but it's not an on-street tram. It's totally segregated.

I'll probably be shot for saying this ,but if I'd change the midleton line to trams too,keep the rails , and all new stations to be tram stops ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'll probably be shot for saying this ,but if I'd change the midleton line to trams too,keep the rails , and all new stations to be tram stops ...

I don't follow your justification here: I would have thought the existing system more appropriate?
    Surely the trams would be more beneficial for short-distance trips with more stops: a denser urban area?

Advertisement