Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

If anybody has a bit of religion left in them ... now is the time to say a little private prayer for Michael , he really needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

"A slight sign of improvement" and "signs of stability" - he's fighting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    "A slight sign of improvement" and "signs of stability" - he's fighting this.

Yeah just heard that on the news.

Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good news

You know, I would have said the same myself up until they mentioned the decompressive craniectomy. If you don't know what that is, they take a piece of the skull out to allow the brain to swell but it is reserved for the worst of brain injuries. Also mentioned was the fact that the skull was "directly affected" by the crash, which leads me to believe that there has been a fracture, or a break in some place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You know, I would have said the same myself up until they mentioned the decompressive craniectomy. If you don't know what that is, they take a piece of the skull out to allow the brain to swell but it is reserved for the worst of brain injuries. Also mentioned was the fact that the skull was "directly affected" by the crash, which leads me to believe that there has been a fracture, or a break in some place.

I'll take your word for it. I'm not clued into the lingo used for brain injuries.

Obviously the skull being directly affected doesn't sound too good.

• Advertisement

v10 wrote: »

This really was a very well written, measured account by DC which seems to have captured the mood precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats probably the best piece of writing/journalism to ever come from DC. Racing drivers are a stubborn bunch and its rare to hear that they admit they weren't as good as another driver even decades after they retire.

Agreed, nice to see some humility from DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just saw that. A despicable thing to do.

I went through a three month period about ten years ago in which I watched every F1 race. Apart from that, I wouldn't be the most loyal of fans. I heard results on the news and owned a PS2 game. That will tell you how long ago my interest was :pac:.

Having said that, Schumacher was always the man when I was in school. I knew of his legend but very little about his individual races.

I remember hearing about his supposed salary one time. I worked it out that he was earning something like £60,000 an hour. I repeated that figure to everyone that would listen.

I measure a 'celebrities' worldwide appeal and recognition on the reaction of my mum (especially) and my dad to news about them.

Neither have ever heard of Kanye West. Personally, I think he makes great music but is a fool. My mum thought he was a 'she' when I mentioned him to them last week.

Because of this, I was surprised to hear them having a conversation about Schumacher's condition last night. It wasn't the most positive talk I've ever heard but it's a crude indication of the worldwide appeal of Schumacher brought on by his absolute domination of a sport for a sustained period of time.

I really hope he pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Small steps but heading in the right direction.

Keep fighting Champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

See Hamilton (or whoever runs his page) put up some pics today on his FB of him out ski-ing over Christmas. Just a bit in bad taste at the moment I think.

Come-on Champ!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Mugser wrote: »
    See Hamilton (or whoever runs his page) put up some pics today on his FB of him out ski-ing over Christmas. Just a bit in bad taste at the moment I think.

Come-on Champ!!

Ah come on ffs :rolleyes:...theres thousands of people skiing, just because schumi had an accident doesnt mean everyone should be indoors wrapped in cotton wool! Also Hamilton has said many times that he spends all his winters for the last few years doing high altitude training in Switzerland. I assume you're another Hamilton hater anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ah come on ffs :rolleyes:...theres thousands of people skiing, just because schumi had an accident doesnt mean everyone should be indoors wrapped in cotton wool! Also Hamilton has said many times that he spends all his winters for the last few years doing high altitude training in Switzerland. I assume you're another Hamilton hater anyway...

would agree with you here, people get a little over sensitive at times ...

What a scumbag, bloody parasites

It's been depressing the last few days thinking of him lying in a hospital bed fighting for his life so on a lighter note, here is a reminder why so many millions of people around the world are thinking about and hoping for the best for Michael right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

I dont really have a problem with lewis putting up pics but its easy to see why some people might not agree with it seen as he's not just anybody but another F1 driver.
    Accusing him of being a Hamilton hater is a bit ott dont ya think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats probably the best piece of writing/journalism to ever come from DC. Racing drivers are a stubborn bunch and its rare to hear that they admit they weren't as good as another driver even decades after they retire.

Agree with that,bloody good piece.
    Its almost as if DC got a little bump to the head him self, its just a pity it took schuey lying in a coma for him to finally say something good about him.
    Its a nice change from his dickhead comments of the last 3/4 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

its good to see michael improving, lets hope its a step to full recovery,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

So it's been confirmed that Schumacher' s helmet split open when he fell.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/31/michael-schumacher-improvement-critical-operation-ski-accident

Just goes to show the force involved in the impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

So it's been confirmed that Schumacher' s helmet split open when he fell.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/31/michael-schumacher-improvement-critical-operation-ski-accident

Just goes to show the force involved in the impact.

I think it is a good thing tho, it means the helmet took the impact and disperced it ... if it stays in one piece its the head inside that takes the battering

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I think it is a good thing tho, it means the helmet took the impact and disperced it ... if it stays in one piece its the head inside that takes the battering

True that. He was lucky to be wearing it I suppose. The first time I went skiing a few years ago now, I remember I didn't wear one. By day 3 or 4 I chanced my arm on the black slopes and off piste. Looking back, I'm amazed at how I got out of it without doing myself serious injury, considering how many times I fell.

http://news.sky.com/story/1189081/michael-schumacher-in-stable-condition
    According to his manager, Sabine Kehm, he is in a stable condition. There have been no significant changes overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Agreed, it must have been come impact though to split it. He hit a rock which launched him into the air and he landed head down... Each day that passes now you would think he is moving further and further from danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

logik wrote: »
    Agreed, it must have been come impact though to split it. He hit a rock which launched him into the air and he landed head down... Each day that passes now you would think he is moving further and further from danger.

True, but the longer Michael is in a coma, the less chance he has of making a full recovery. The good news is that if his ICP (Intra-Cranial Pressure) has remained stable for the last 48 hours or so, there's a chance, and a small one, that he will be rewarmed at some point today. I don't think it will happen today, but it will happen soon.

True, but the longer Michael is in a coma, the less chance he has of making a full recovery. The good news is that if his ICP (Intra-Cranial Pressure) has remained stable for the last 48 hours or so, there's a chance, and a small one, that he will be rewarmed at some point today. I don't think it will happen today, but it will happen soon.

Yes, but the coma is induced. He was actually conscious when the accident happened.

Ferrari plans event for Michael Schumacher in Grenoble to mark his 45th birthday tomorrow ...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112001

logik wrote: »
    Yes, but the coma is induced. He was actually conscious when the accident happened.

That's called the 'lucid window' & is particularly common with this type of injury apparently. You think you're fine & go about your business, but shortly afterwards symptoms start & without the artificial coma, you're basically finished, & I think that's what happened with Liam Neeson's wife if I'm not mistaken?

There aren't going to be many developments while he's in this state, as I think he's essentially on a form of life support...so he will be stable anyway, regardless of the extent of his injury. We'll just have to wait until they feel he's ready to be warmed up, until there's any developments. Fingers crossed, I think if the condition 'man-love' exists, I definitely have it for Schumi :o

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think if the condition 'man-love' exists, I definitely have it for Schumi :o

Haha, I hear ya!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Next setup would be to reduce his sedation... but they can't do that until...

Intracranial pressure stays down
    Haemorrhaging stops
    Swelling has subsided

Once they are happy with this they will move him to a less sedated level and begin to monitor brain activity and response.

Stay strong Schumi! Your family needs you to pull through this!

Advertisement