Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Pique wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a comparison between the Esse 350GS, Boru Chieftain and the Charnwood SLX45i?

I cannot find any reviews of Boru (but loads of people looking for reviews).
    Charnwood and Esse are pretty good apparently too.

It's for a Semi-d, and I already have an open fire with back boiler so the plumbing should be minimal.

Hi:) I can't comment on boru stoves as I have never viewed one. I didn't even know about them until I moved to Ireland.

The Esse green switch seems to be a liked stove. If I was choosing between the two, it would have to be Charnwood. Another option is the parkray cumbria boiler inset stove. They are well regarded in the UK as well. If I wanted an inset stove I would buy the parkray cumbria as its cheaper and still well made:)

http://www.parkray.co.uk/HTML/Cumbria.html

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

Another option is the Aarrow Stratford EB series stoves. With better design in the boiler they give a longer internal flow path which means the water is in contact with the boiler for longer to produce hotter water, quicker.

NickTellis wrote: »
    Thanks Stove Fan, that looks like exactly what I need. Might even be a little daring and go for a colour other than black.

Any idea how much these cans cost?

Sorry no idea:( The paint was supplied free by the stove dealer for touching up:)

Another option is the Aarrow Stratford EB series stoves. With better design in the boiler they give a longer internal flow path which means the water is in contact with the boiler for longer to produce hotter water, quicker.

http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/inset-stoves/eb12i-he.html 5kw to room. 40,000btu to water

They also do the EB9 with 30,000btu boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Does anyone know what diameter rope I would need for a Charnwood country 6 stove - I only need to replace the rope on one door - It would be the Left Hand Side as you look at the stove - don't know if this is relevant !!

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

emg74 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what diameter rope I would need for a Charnwood country 6 stove - I only need to replace the rope on one door - It would be the Left Hand Side as you look at the stove - don't know if this is relevant !!

Thanks in advance

I've had a quick search and unfortunately cant find what size it uses. Apparently the country 6 depending on the age of the stove has different sizes:( but does not state the size!!

The easiest thing is to measure it on the least worn part, or contact Charnwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mazzacazzama

After much deliberating we have just put in a blacksmith forge stove....so far so good, heating water and rads really well, so no complaints so far!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

im thinking about replacing an old stanley solid fuel cooker which was converted to oil about 10 years ago, its very bad at heating the water and rads.the stove im looking at is the Boru Carraig Mor 30kw boiler stove.i want something that will throw out a good bit of heat to the water.the chimney flue has clay liners in it but when the cooker got converted there had to go a flexi flue liner into it.
    Question 1. Do i need a heavier flexi flue liner for the solid fuel stove.
    Question 2. Do i need insulation around the flexi flue liner.the flexi flue line now for the oil is just laying inside the clay flue's it was never insulated around.
    Question 3. Could you guys give me your opinions on the Boru Carraig Mor 30kw stove.
    Thanks in advance

Surfn wrote: »
    im thinking about replacing an old stanley solid fuel cooker which was converted to oil about 10 years ago, its very bad at heating the water and rads.the stove im looking at is the Boru Carraig Mor 30kw boiler stove.i want something that will throw out a good bit of heat to the water.the chimney flue has clay liners in it but when the cooker got converted there had to go a flexi flue liner into it.
    Question 1. Do i need a heavier flexi flue liner for the solid fuel stove.
    Question 2. Do i need insulation around the flexi flue liner.the flexi flue line now for the oil is just laying inside the clay flue's it was never insulated around.
    Question 3. Could you guys give me your opinions on the Boru Carraig Mor 30kw stove.
    Thanks in advance

Hi:) Was the stanley range when using solid fuel did it heat the rads and water well? Or just badly with oil? It may be that the boiler is clogged up or the range is trying to heat too many radiators.
    How many radiators are there in the property and what size are they and if single or double? We need this information too see if the boiler size on the carraig more is big enough.
    If the flexible flue liner is 10 years old, even if it was originally installed for solid fuel I would replace it for a new 904 grade liner as it's quite old. Your liner may only be suitable for oil if it was replaced at the same time as the oil conversion. (Unlikely) but you never know. Best to fit new and forget:)
    It's generally not needed to insulate around the flue liner and clay liner, but if you wanted too you could do so. If this is an old fully external chimney I would insulate it. The main thing is the chimney top around the flue terminal is sealed around the liner so any heat lost from the liner stays in the void between the clay liner and stainless liner.

People on this forum seem to like the carraig mor:)

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi:) Was the stanley range when using solid fuel did it heat the rads and water well? Or just badly with oil? It may be that the boiler is clogged up or the range is trying to heat too many radiators.
    How many radiators are there in the property and what size are they and if single or double? We need this information too see if the boiler size on the carraig more is big enough.
    If the flexible flue liner is 10 years old, even if it was originally installed for solid fuel I would replace it for a new 904 grade liner as it's quite old. Your liner may only be suitable for oil if it was replaced at the same time as the oil conversion. (Unlikely) but you never know. Best to fit new and forget:)
    It's generally not needed to insulate around the flue liner and clay liner, but if you wanted too you could do so. If this is an old fully external chimney I would insulate it. The main thing is the chimney top around the flue terminal is sealed around the liner so any heat lost from the liner stays in the void between the clay liner and stainless liner.

People on this forum seem to like the carraig mor:)

hello stoveman, thanks for the info.
    it was to bad at heating the rads before it was changed over to oil
    but when it got changed over there was never the same heat to the rads.
    there are 8 rads of it and 3 of them are doubles
    i know the carraig mor 30kw might seem abit overkill but at least it gives me the option off changing all the rads to doubles if there is too much hot water.the flexi flue liner was only put in when the cooker got converted to oil. the flexi flue thats in it does seam alot lighter than the stove flexi flue liner ive seen.probably best to changed it as you say.
    its an internal chimney
    how much is that 904 flexi flu liner a meter, roughly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bermo63

couple of questions for stoveman and everone else please ,are stoves like cars in the sense that there are well known names makes models etc out there whats are the good ones as you seem to no alot of different types, we are looking to replace our fireplace with a stove big enough to heat about 6 double rads downstairs and 7 single upstairs and heat the hot water so would anyone be able to recommend one to fit our needs we have 2 extentsions downstairs so its a big enough space to heat we will have oil as backup but hopefully wont be buying anymore oil if this works out do the stoves take alot of coal and logs to keep going

cheers keith

hello stoveman, thanks for the info.
    it was to bad at heating the rads before it was changed over to oil
    but when it got changed over there was never the same heat to the rads.
    there are 8 rads of it and 3 of them are doubles
    i know the carraig mor 30kw might seem abit overkill but at least it gives me the option off changing all the rads to doubles if there is too much hot water.the flexi flue liner was only put in when the cooker got converted to oil. the flexi flue thats in it does seam alot lighter than the stove flexi flue liner ive seen.probably best to changed it as you say.
    its an internal chimney
    how much is that 904 flexi flu liner a meter, roughly

Hi:) As you say having the extra capacity of the boiler is a good thing so long as the stove isnt burning too slowly as its less efficient at keeping the glass clean.
    The flue liner that is present sounds like one suitable for oil only:(
    I dont really know how much the 904 grade liner is but wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt 50-60 euros a metre:eek:

bermo63 wrote: »
    couple of questions for stoveman and everone else please ,are stoves like cars in the sense that there are well known names makes models etc out there whats are the good ones as you seem to no alot of different types, we are looking to replace our fireplace with a stove big enough to heat about 6 double rads downstairs and 7 single upstairs and heat the hot water so would anyone be able to recommend one to fit our needs we have 2 extentsions downstairs so its a big enough space to heat we will have oil as backup but hopefully wont be buying anymore oil if this works out do the stoves take alot of coal and logs to keep going

cheers keith

Hi Keith:) The well known stoves are:

1 Clearview.
    2 Morso
    3 Charnwood
    4 Dunsley Heat.
    5 Woodwarm.
    6 Stovax
    7 aarrow
    8 Yeoman
    9 villager
    10 Hunter

Clearview, morso and Charnwood are very well known in the stove industry for making truly excellent stoves. Dunsley and woodwarm are also excellent but not as well known in Ireland. I quite like various models of the others. We have a villager berkley 7.6 kw boiler stove and find it great although if money wasn't an option I would buy a dunsley yorkshire boiler stove, not big enough for your needs though:(.

Do you have any idea of the KW output of your various radiators? If you could list the measurements and note if they are double or single I could give you a rough idea of a stove that may be suitable:). What are the room dimensions that the stove would be fitted in?.

It's very hard really to say how much fuel you will need as everyone has different comfort levels, insulation and how many hours burning. To give you a very rough quide we used 50, 40kg bags of coal to heat our 5 rads and hot water burning mostly 13 hours a day for 7 months last winter.

We have these sized rads and even though our boiler is undersized it heats the house very well:

1 600 X 1100 double 2.0kw
    2 600 X 700 double 2.4kw (Total)
    1 600 X 800 double 1.4kw
    1 600 X 800 Single 750w
    1 towel rail 550w
    Hot water 3kw.

My elderly relatives like it 21-24 degrees all over our extended 2 bed detatched older style bungalow. The stove is our only form of heating. We paid 650 euros for the 50 bags of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

My room is approx 19 x 14 x 8 ft high. I am looking at a few brands that are made in Belgium. I was told a 9 kw -11 kw stove multi fuel is too large an output for this room. A very cold house, stone 250 years old, little insulation. Is it possible to heat house from this output by leaving the doors of this room open. I cannot see a stove with an output of say 8kw that I like. It has to be cast iron. I am fed up being ripped off.:mad: guinness queen.;)

My room is approx 19 x 14 x 8 ft high. I am looking at a few brands that are made in Belgium. I was told a 9 kw -11 kw stove multi fuel is too large an output for this room. A very cold house, stone 250 years old, little insulation. Is it possible to heat house from this output by leaving the doors of this room open. I cannot see a stove with an output of say 8kw that I like. It has to be cast iron. I am fed up being ripped off.:mad: guinness queen.;)
    ps do not think I WILL BE HEATING RADS, was told by plumber too dificult to join up with my raburn oil fired central heating. Something to do with pressurised system now installed. Not enough room between main tank and header tank. would cause air locks in system. Internal massive chimney has to be lined I GUESS. SORRY ABOUT THE ADD ON. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Hi,
    Anyone using and have any feedback on a Nestor Martin S13? Was thinking of getting one of these, especially as it has an external air kit. Thanks in advance.

i was talking to a woman the day who sells stoves i was asking her about the hunter 80b and the stovax 14hb, she said the stovax 14hb was very good ar heating rads, more so than the hunter 80b. I know i was think about a boru carraig mor, but now sort of thinking along the lines of this stovax 14hb. Stove Fan what do you think of the 14hb.for build quality would the stovax be way ahead of boru

i was talking to a woman the day who sells stoves i was asking her about the hunter 80b and the stovax 14hb, she said the stovax 14hb was very good ar heating rads, more so than the hunter 80b. I know i was think about a boru carraig mor, but now sort of thinking along the lines of this stovax 14hb. Stove Fan what do you think of the 14hb.for build quality would the stovax be way ahead of boru

Hi:) I really couldn't say which is the better stove as I have never seen the two in real life. I do know that stovax are a reasonable brand. The stovax stockton HB does look a nice stove:) I would have one in a big room as the large one produces 7kw to the room. I like the look of the Stovax stockton range and yeoman country boiler stoves. Although I think the stockton is the nicer looking stove.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Stovax-Stockton-HB-Boiler-Stoves.html

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/yeoman-m-19.html

Are there any reviews for the stovax on www.whatstove.co.uk

ps do not think I WILL BE HEATING RADS, was told by plumber too dificult to join up with my raburn oil fired central heating. Something to do with pressurised system now installed. Not enough room between main tank and header tank. would cause air locks in system. Internal massive chimney has to be lined I GUESS. SORRY ABOUT THE ADD ON. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.:o

Connecting a boiler stove to a pressurised system really complicates the install. You would need an installer who knew what he was doing. It would make the install very expensive:mad:.

With regards to having a 9-11 kw stove in your room would roast you alive. If you could open several doors to the other rooms so you could get a through flow it may be ok, especially with an ecofan on top of the stove distributing the heat. I think 8kw would be more appropriate:) for the room.
    What style of stove are you looking for and stove budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 insulation monkey

Check out rockwool sleeves that insulate your flue liner if you have a large old style chimney as filling with vermiculite insulation is not practical http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Flexible-Flue-Liners.html.
    Don't worry about heating rads as 1. you will have to turn off rad in room stove is in, as room will be too hot. 2. you will be shoveling coal into the large fire boxes like you are running a steam engine, a 15 kw stove running rads means you will be hourly refueling and daily emptying ashes. 3.All boiler stoves need a good high flame running up the boiler to work best so it is not practical to get a larger size and not run it at full efficiency.

• Advertisement

Dear Stove Fan and insulation Monkey,;);)
    Many thanks for prompt reply and useful information,
    Stove Fan: I have looked at so many stoves by now that I am more confused than ever, with all the varying info. different every shop. that said I was told that an 9-11 kw was far too big. I loved the Dru and another Belgian make STEy I think. They do not have models in a 7 or 8 Kw.
    I want cast iron I am sure of that. I will have to remove the old back boiler and cast iron surround that now exists. Do not want to loose this so will have to work around that. I woud prefer a traditional looking stove but am flexible with that ,without a boiler) I would like it to heat the hallway which is next to the room where stove is going to heat,
    I would spend Eu 1,000-1200'ish. :D
    Insulation Monkey.
    Are you talking about a double skin flue, or is this sleeve seperate. I was recommended to use a double skin flue.
    I was told also that it needed to be vented on top to comply to BS.......
    Am more confused than ever, its all too confusing for a 65 year old.:confused::confused::confused:
    thanking you both in anticipation for any advice. the guinness queen;)

Hi stovefan this is roughly size of rooms/ rads that stove will be

sitting room /conservatory open plan. 15ft wide by 50ft long 3 double rads about 600 x 1200 and rad same size
    kichen 1 double rad as above size 14ft x 20 ft
    hall 1 double rad as above 5ft by 25ft
    front room single rad same above 8ft x14ft
    4 beds upstairs small to medium size fottage and bathroom all with single rads same as above same one in bathroom about 300 x 600.am looking to buy one this weekend so anyadvice would be great thanks keith

Hi stovefan this is roughly size of rooms/ rads that stove will be

sitting room /conservatory open plan. 15ft wide by 50ft long with 3 double rads about 600 x 1200 and rad same size
    kichen 1 double rad as above size 14ft x 20 ft
    hall 1 double rad as above 5ft by 25ft
    front room single rad same above 8ft x14ft
    4 beds upstairs small to medium size fottage and bathroom all with single rads same as above same one in bathroom about 300 x 600.am looking to buy one this weekend so anyadvice would be great thanks keith

just dropped into a place in maynooth and had a look at the carraig mor 30k and hunter 80 b beast of a thing have you seen one of these things stove fan guy was showing us different ones he said some came in from china so is that a bad thing.read a few reviews of above two and reviews mixed i would say. keith

just dropped into a place in maynooth and had a look at the carraig mor 30k and hunter 80 b beast of a thing have you seen one of these things stove fan guy was showing us different ones he said some came in from china so is that a bad thing.read a few reviews of above two and reviews mixed i would say. keith

Hi:) I have only counted 11 radiators in your list, is this right as you had 14 in a previous post?

On the 11 rads quoted on the most recent it comes to 19kw or 65,000btu. If you have three more allow another 20,000btu or another 6kw. I would say the hunter 80b may be on the small side, unless a few radiators was turned off.

I have seen hunter stoves in person. They are a reasonable brand for the price. It would be a lot better than a cheaply made stove from China.

The others to consider with a bigger boiler are the Aarrow stratford TF90. The broseley hercules 30B.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/stratford-tf90b-boiler-stove.html

http://www.broseleyfires.com/Multifuel-Stoves/Hercules-30B_Boiler-Stove.html
    Or this if happy heating the 11 rads like the hunter.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/eb18-he.html
    Please make sure the stoves heat output to room doesn't overheat your room.

Dear Stove Fan and insulation Monkey,;);)
    Many thanks for prompt reply and useful information,
    Stove Fan: I have looked at so many stoves by now that I am more confused than ever, with all the varying info. different every shop. that said I was told that an 9-11 kw was far too big. I loved the Dru and another Belgian make STEy I think. They do not have models in a 7 or 8 Kw.
    I want cast iron I am sure of that. I will have to remove the old back boiler and cast iron surround that now exists. Do not want to loose this so will have to work around that. I woud prefer a traditional looking stove but am flexible with that ,without a boiler) I would like it to heat the hallway which is next to the room where stove is going to heat,
    I would spend Eu 1,000-1200'ish. :D
    Insulation Monkey.
    Are you talking about a double skin flue, or is this sleeve seperate. I was recommended to use a double skin flue.
    I was told also that it needed to be vented on top to comply to BS.......
    Am more confused than ever, its all too confusing for a 65 year old.:confused::confused::confused:
    thanking you both in anticipation for any advice. the guinness queen;)

Hi:) On your budget for the stove, have a look at the esse 200 and the Dovre 250 both in your required output. See the reviews on www.whatstove.co.uk A stove with an existing chimney would be best lined with a flexible stainless steel liner. If burning lots of coal fit the dearer 904 grade. If a new external chimney is needed you would use a twin wall insulated chimney.
    For building regs the flue from the stove can be rear vented but only a horizontal distance of 6 inches is allowed. Generally if its possible use the top flue on the stove as it makes sweeping easier.

Gentlemen,;);)
    Many thanks for all the information, I am almost blind checking what stove .com, its one of the sources of my confusion, albeit it is a wonderful site.
    I shall check the two stoves you suggested, and I am eternally grateful to you both. Iwill let you all know how things are working out. With snow forecast for end October and the price of oil I will have to be snappy.
    Thanks again, much appreciated:D:D;)

yeah 14 is right thanks for the advice.do you no anything about the nestor harmony 111

keith

Gentlemen, :D

Do u have any experience of the Nestor Martin, Harmony 1 or a similar model.
    I only want a cast iron, multi fuel. about 8kw. I saw this one, not mad about brass, but they have another one without brass handles almost the same. sorry to be a pain. thanks again. GQ,:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

Gentlemen, :D

Do u have any experience of the Nestor Martin, Harmony 1 or a similar model.
    I only want a cast iron, multi fuel. about 8kw. I saw this one, not mad about brass, but they have another one without brass handles almost the same. sorry to be a pain. thanks again. GQ,:confused::confused::confused:

Franco Belge Savoy, Limousin and Camargue would be another option for cast iron stove with 8-10kw output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Hi,

We have recently taken advantage of the SEAI grants and done the cavity pumped insulation, attic and gas boiler upgrades/zones ...etc.

Before we get the required BER rating done we are thinking of finishing it off with a multifuel stove in place of the existing open fireplace. We have a fitter ready, but would like to hear suggestions on where to buy such a stove (or what we refer to as the "pot belly"). We are not looking to hook it up to the heating system.

We live in Dunboyne, Co. Meath so ideally within easy enough reach of there.

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122337a36c0e0af5a950885b010abf684d0.jpg

Thanks!

Advertisement