Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

kona wrote: »
    ...so you save the maximum all the time.

Am I then correct in thinking that, for example, if I was to get a bike and accessories to a total of €1000 that I'd only pay the €490? From your example in your earlier post. Or would I have to pay a mixture of the €490 and €770, the 2 different tax brackets?

Don't know if I'm making sense... Think I lost myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Am I then correct in thinking that, for example, if I was to get a bike and accessories to a total of €1000 that I'd only pay the €490? From your example in your earlier post. Or would I have to pay a mixture of the €490 and €770, the 2 different tax brackets?

Don't know if I'm making sense... Think I lost myself.

you will get 1000/12 = 83 taken out of your gross pay. The saving will be when that deduction reduces the amount of tax you pay.

say you earn 1k a week

1k - 83 - 917

then its 917 - PRSI , USC etc etc as opposed to 1k - PRSI, USC etc etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could someone please clarify whether the USC is in the deductions or not?

Some websites say it is and some don't and most are still set up for the tax system last year, with income & healthy levies.

I pay tax at the lower rate and the total cost of bike plus equipment was €339.

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could someone please clarify whether the USC is in the deductions or not?

Some websites say it is and some don't and most are still set up for the tax system last year, with income & healthy levies.

I pay tax at the lower rate and the total cost of bike plus equipment was €339.

Thanks.

Yes, the USC is included in the deductions, as is all other taxes. The bike comes out of your gross pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 DJL292

Hi Guys,

I want to avail of the BTW scheme, as my employers are involved.

However, I just recently finished my degree and Ive started a job last month. The job is a type of graduate internship for a duration of about 6 months. I get paid on a monthly basis.

From my last pay slip I noticed that although my income is above the PRSI threshold of 370e and above 500e weekly, the only taxes were deducted from my gross salary was the 2% USC. So, Im wondering is this because of the graduate status

I asked my company and they were very vague about it, and the accounts dept are yet to come back to me YAWN!!

What Id like help with is that is it worth availing of the BTW Scheme for a 2% saving???

Or have I gor this wrong? Its either a 23% or a 51% saving????

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DJL292 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

However, I just recently finished my degree and Ive started a job last month. The job is a type of graduate internship for a duration of about 6 months. I get paid on a monthly basis.

From my last pay slip I noticed that although my income is above the PRSI threshold of 370e and above 500e weekly, the only taxes were deducted from my gross salary was the 2% USC. So, Im wondering is this because of the graduate status

I asked my company and they were very vague about it, and the accounts dept are yet to come back to me YAWN!!

What Id like help with is that is it worth availing of the BTW Scheme for a 2% saving???

You probably are just using your tax credits accumulated in the year to date. It depends on how much you will earn during the full year, as you will get relief at your marginal tax rate, so you need to estimate your expected tax for the year to see if it's worth it. If you pay back over 12 months, part of it will be in the next tax year when, assuming the same level of employment income, you should certainly get basic rate relief as well as saving USC/PRSI

Hi Guys,

Unless you are willing to pay the balance up front, I cant see them doing it for you , especially for somebody on a temporary contract.

This issue particularly affects teachers and people in the PS, who are working on temp contracts. I know many teachers who the DoE and VEC have refused the scheme for.

Unless you are willing to pay the balance up front, I cant see them doing it for you , especially for somebody on a temporary contract.

This issue particularly affects teachers and people in the PS, who are working on temp contracts. I know many teachers who the DoE and VEC have refused the scheme for.

My workplace said I can avail of it, as the scheme is open to any employee regardless.

Im just not sure of the saving in PRSI/USC, as only deduction I get is a 2% USC weekly.

My workplace said I can avail of it, as the scheme is open to any employee regardless.

Im just not sure of the saving in PRSI/USC, as only deduction I get is a 2% USC weekly.

Its quite simple, they take the deduction from your gross pay. So if your being taxed 2% at the moment until you eat up your tax credits, then you will only save 2%, if you dont pay tax at the moment how can you save on it?

Its quite simple, they take the deduction from your gross pay. So if your being taxed 2% at the moment until you eat up your tax credits, then you will only save 2%, if you dont pay tax at the moment how can you save on it?

That makes perfect sense now,

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... but if you are paying tax at 23% by the end of the current tax year (ie once your credits are used up), you will effectively save at that rate - less of your total income is actually subject to tax at that rate

Beasty wrote: »
    ... but if you are paying tax at 23% by the end of the current tax year (ie once your credits are used up), you will effectively save at that rate - less of your total income is actually subject to tax at that rate

Okay I understand. So, really the ideal time to avail of the scheme is the week I start to pay PRSI 4% and Income tax 23/41%, as until then Ill only have deductions of 2% USC.

Also, is the incentive for employers is that they save 10.75% in PRSI on the employee? Not that the 10.75% PRSI goes toward the payment of the bike.

Thank you again!!!

Okay I understand. So, really the ideal time to avail of the scheme is the week I start to pay PRSI 4% and Income tax 23/41%, as until then Ill only have deductions of 2% USC.

Also, is the incentive for employers is that they save 10.75% in PRSI on the employee? Not that the 10.75% PRSI goes toward the payment of the bike.

Thank you again!!!
    No - it makes no difference - you pay tax on your cumulative income

Looking at tax alone, and forgetting USC etc, let's assume you will earn €2,000 each month for 6 months (July to December), and you have tax credits for the full year of €2,400

Without the scheme you earn €12,000, with tax due (at 23%) of €2,760, reduced by tax credits of €2,400 to €360
    net pay = €11,640

If you buy a bike for €1,000 under the scheme, and repay over 6 months:
    Gross taxable pay = 12,000 - 1,000 = €11,000, with tax due of €2,530, reduced by the tax credits to €130

Hence you have saved tax of 360 - 130 = €230 (ie 23% of €1,000)

Beasty wrote: »
    No - it makes no difference - you pay tax on your cumulative income

Looking at tax alone, and forgetting USC etc, let's assume you will earn €2,000 each month for 6 months (July to December), and you have tax credits for the full year of €2,400

Without the scheme you earn €12,000, with tax due (at 23%) of €2,760, reduced by tax credits of €2,400 to €360
    net pay = €11,640

If you buy a bike for €1,000 under the scheme, and repay over 6 months:
    Gross taxable pay = 12,000 - 1,000 = €11,000, with tax due of €2,530, reduced by the tax credits to €130

Hence you have saved tax of 360 - 130 = €230 (ie 23% of €1,000)

Thank you for the very detailed explanation!!

It does makes sense now! I think! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I am familiar with the cycle to work scheme so this is a specific question/issue.
    Our company recently introduced the scheme and I applied for my cert up to a value of €1000. Today i got approval but the monthly cost is €93.62 for 12 months.
    This comes to a total of €1123.44. When i queried it with Cyclescheme (who are running the scheme on the companys behalf) they said that the company had used the services of a financing company and this was the extra charge. It does not go to Cyclescheme.
    I have raised it with the company and am awaiting an answer but i am trying to find out if this is normal or has anyone else on here had this experience.

Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sounds very suspect!

Refuse to pay a cent until it's all been cleared up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

These intermediaries like biketowork.ie and I'm sure cyclescheme.ie have their own charges. When we (OnTrack) do a sale through biketowork.ie we are charged 8% plus vat by them for their service. We have to pass that on to the customer.

I didn't think that could go over the €1000, but I guess as that is a charge outside of the bike scheme it's possible.

Even still, €1000 plus 8% plus 21% is about an extra €96, not €123.

Certainly unusual - I've never come across this before

Thinking aloud about it, the "salary sacrifice" results in a loan from the employer to the employee which is usually interest-free, and repayable over a period (normally 12 months)

Is there anything to stop the employer charging interest (or the "cost" of funding the loan)? - I don't think so

However off the top of my head the interest rate does appear very high with an APR of getting on for 25%. An employee who could get funding cheaper than this (or has cash that's earning naff-all interest) would be better off doing a one-off salary sacrifice to fund the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

If they're organising the finance they can charge what the want?
    Seems to be about 22% interest though!

Feck em... If you can afford it, take the hit and pay immediately so there's no interest.

If you can't afford it, take out a loan to tie you over. It'll certantly be cheaper than the rate they're charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The most dodgy thing is if it's a salary sacrifice at source they're taking from you, if it's over 1000 then they're going outside of the B2W scheme, and revenue should have something to say about it. Otherwise it could get very messy with you paying the first 1000 out of pre tax pay, and 123.44 out of your net pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I am familiar with the cycle to work scheme so this is a specific question/issue.
    Our company recently introduced the scheme and I applied for my cert up to a value of €1000. Today i got approval but the monthly cost is €93.62 for 12 months.
    This comes to a total of €1123.44. When i queried it with Cyclescheme (who are running the scheme on the companys behalf) they said that the company had used the services of a financing company and this was the extra charge. It does not go to Cyclescheme.
    I have raised it with the company and am awaiting an answer but i am trying to find out if this is normal or has anyone else on here had this experience.

Thanks in advance..

Hmmm, we could be with the same company. I did spot the extra but nowhere was it called specifically out and I kind of assumed it would be straightened out when it came to the deductions. I managed to track down a HR contact and here was the response:
    To be able to operate the scheme within company policy, which prevents loans being given to employees in any form, we have partnered with a Finance Company to facilitate the scheme for our employees. Doing this allows us to use the salary sacrifice deductions to meet the monthly bike payments in arrears.This does have a slight impact on the savings available to employees, however, this was felt to be a good compromise to allow us to go ahead with the scheme which still offers very good savings. As employees do not fund the full certificate costs due to Tax, PRSI and USC savings, the maximum monthly finance charge would be 10.29 euro per month (if an employee opted for a 1,000 Euro certificate).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That sounds totally whiffy.

If it is company policy not to give loans to employees, then the loan must be between the finance company and the employee. For this to be the case there would have to be an explicit signed agreement.

What happens if the employee leaves? Presumably they'll owe money to the finance company.

So you could get a situation where the company goes bust, owing salary to the employee (not unusual), but the employee is still a creditor of the finance company.

The employee would then have to pay back the finance company (or risk jail, presumably), but would have to join the queue of creditors to get their salary.

If there is no agreement between the finance company and the employee, then there must be a credit agreement between the finance company and the employer, and the employer is then making a separate loan to the employee, which (a) violates their own stated policy, and (b) is basically re-charging interest from it's own agreement with the finance company.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Hmmm, we could be with the same company. I did spot the extra but nowhere was it called specifically out and I kind of assumed it would be straightened out when it came to the deductions. I managed to track down a HR contact and here was the response:
    To be able to operate the scheme within company policy, which prevents loans being given to employees in any form, we have partnered with a Finance Company to facilitate the scheme for our employees. Doing this allows us to use the salary sacrifice deductions to meet the monthly bike payments in arrears.This does have a slight impact on the savings available to employees, however, this was felt to be a good compromise to allow us to go ahead with the scheme which still offers very good savings. As employees do not fund the full certificate costs due to Tax, PRSI and USC savings, the maximum monthly finance charge would be 10.29 euro per month (if an employee opted for a 1,000 Euro certificate).

Here is what was provided on the cyclescheme website to me of which the main parts I paid attention to were in the 3 blue banners.

168746.JPG

From the T&Cs of the salary sacrifice agreement:
    Salary Sacrifice Agreement
    IMPORTANT: You must read this carefully. This agreement details your rights and responsibilities and is legally binding upon you. You are strongly advised to obtain independent advice on any aspect of this agreement you are unsure of.
    Terms & Conditions
    1.0 Introduction
    This agreement is in two parts: the front page setting out various items of key information including the payments you will have to make and these terms and conditions. It sets out the basis on which the Employer (as detailed on the front page) agrees to loan to you for your use, a bicycle and (if applicable) safety equipment under this agreement (the "Equipment") for the purpose mainly of commuting between your home and workplace, or between different workplaces in connection with your employment ("Commuting").
    This agreement also varies your terms and conditions of employment. Specifically, it sets out the terms on which you agree to give up part of your entitlement to salary in return for the non-cash benefit of being provided with the Equipment ("Salary Sacrifice") - please see section 4 (Salary Sacrifice and Duration of the Scheme) below for more details.
    The Employer has contracted with a company called Cyclescheme Ltd. to administer its cycle to work scheme and provide you with access to a broad range of bike shops (known as "Cyclescheme Partner Shops") from which to obtain the Equipment.
    2.0 Eligibility for Tax Benefits
    The intention is that by entering into this agreement you will be entitled to take advantage of an exemption from income tax and PRSI contributions in relation to the payments you make under this agreement.

To be eligible for these exemptions, the following conditions will need to be satisfied:-
    • There is an enforceable variation to your terms and conditions of employment (exercising a choice of benefit instead of salary), evidenced in writing;
    • the equipment covered by the exemption includes pedal bicycles, tricycles and pedelecs and specified safety equipment;;
    • the retail price of the Equipment shall not exceed €1,000;
    • you must be a Republic of Ireland taxpayer;
    • the choice exercised (i.e benefit instead of cash) must be irrevocable for the relevant year for which it is made);
    • you may only participate in the Cycle to Work scheme once in a five year period
    • you must remain in employment for the duration of the scheme;
    • your continued employment for the duration of the Scheme; and
    • you must use the Equipment mainly for Commuting, although you are entitled to use it for other purposes as well;
    If any of these conditions are not or cease to be satisfied, or the law changes, you may find that you are no longer eligible as a result for the relevant exemptions and the Employer may be required to treat the provision of the Equipment as a taxable benefit.
    3.0 Obtaining the Equipment
    Once you have selected the Equipment from a Cyclescheme Partner Shop and obtained confirmation that your application to participate in the scheme has been accepted you will enter into this Agreement. You will be provided with a Cyclescheme certificate (a "Certificate") for the value of the Equipment, as set out on the front page of this agreement.
    The Certificate cannot be returned or transferred to anyone one else or its value altered once it has been issued to you and you must collect the Equipment within [60 days] from the date the Certificate is issued to you.
    If you obtain a quote from a Cyclescheme Partner Shop before applying for a Certificate you may only use the Certificate to obtain the Equipment you received a quote for, as detailed in this Agreement, unless the relevant Cyclescheme Partner Shop agrees to provide you with an alternative bicycle and/or item of bicycle safety equipment. If this happens, please note that:-
    • these alternative items will then be treated as the "Equipment" under this agreement; • the value of an alternative bicycle can be topped-up if the value exceeds that of the Certificate; • if the value of the alternative Equipment is lower than the value stated on the Certificate, you will not be entitled to any refund in relation to the difference and will use the surplus for additional safety equipment;
    To collect the Equipment, you must present the Certificate in person, along with an acceptable form of photographic identification (Employee ID card, Passport or Driving Licence), at the Cyclescheme Partner Shop where you chose the Equipment.
    Before visiting the Cyclescheme Partner Shop to collect the Equipment though, please check that it is available for collection. The Equipment should be made available for collection within a reasonable time, but any specific collection dates given by the Cyclescheme Partner Shop at the time of giving you a quote are not guaranteed.
    4.0 Salary Sacrifice and Duration of the Scheme
    By entering into this agreement you agree to a Salary Sacrifice from your Employer for a period of 12 months from the date of the commencement of your salary sacrifice. You agree to make the payments detailed on the front of this agreement on a Salary Sacrifice basis.
    To be eligible to make the Salary Sacrifice payments detailed on the front page of this Agreement, your salary, after the Salary Sacrifice, must remain above the National Minimum Wage.
    If at any point during the Salary Sacrifice Period, your salary falls to a level that would mean if Salary Sacrifice payments were to be made, it would be below the National Minimum Wage, the Employer reserves the right (to the extent it is lawfully entitled to do so) to suspend those payments or deduct them from your net rather than your gross salary and you may lose your entitlement to potential tax benefits as a result.
    The Salary Sacrifice may affect the level of any personal pension contributions you make or any sick pay or other pay or benefits that you may be entitled to. Please check with the Employer before signing this agreement if you have any queries in this respect.
    At the end of the loan period, the equipment will be transferred to you at no cost and you shall no longer be bound by the terms and conditions of the Scheme.
    5.0 Your responsibilities
    During the Salary Sacrifice Period:
    • you must retain possession of the Equipment and use it mainly for Commuting, although use for other secondary purposes is permitted; • once collected from the Cyclescheme Partner Shop, you will be responsible for any loss of or damage to the Equipment which subsequently occurs, except where this is caused by a defect in the Equipment - see sections 6 (Defective Equipment) and 7 (Lost, stolen or damaged Equipment) below; • you must ensure the Equipment is used safely and maintained properly in accordance with any instructions provided by the manufacturer(s) of the Equipment and/or by the relevant Cyclescheme Partner Shop; • you must use the bicycle in line with all rules and regulations as set out by the road safety authority and make proper use of the bicycle safety equipment at all times.
    6.0 Defective Equipment
    The Equipment should be covered by warranties given by the relevant manufacturers (or their importers), as well as by any additional warranties that apply under the general law and nothing in this agreement affects the rights that you have under the general law.
    If any Equipment is damaged when you collect it from the Cyclescheme Partner Shop, or if any defects or other warranty issues subsequently come to light, please contact the relevant Cyclescheme Partner Shop in the first instance.
    7.0 Lost, stolen or damaged Equipment
    If at any time during the Salary Sacrifice Period, the Equipment (or part of it) is lost or stolen, or damaged to the point of no longer being usable for Commuting, you will still be responsible for making any remaining payments due under this agreement, but the tax exemptions referred to in section 2 (Eligibility for Tax Benefits) above may cease to apply. Where this happens, you will effectively be required to make the remaining payments out of your net salary.
    You are very strongly advised to obtain specific insurance for the Equipment, or otherwise ensure it is covered by your home contents insurance policy. You must inform your insurer that the Employer has an interest in the Equipment.
    Please note that if you purchase any replacement equipment following the theft or loss of the Equipment you originally obtained under this agreement, that replacement equipment will not be covered by the terms of this agreement and the tax exemptions referred to in section 2 (Eligibility for Tax Benefits) above will not apply.
    7.5 Accident or Injury
    In the unlikely event that you suffer accident or injury while using your bicycle, your employer cannot be held responsible. It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure the bike is carefully maintained and in the event of any road traffic accident employees are wholly responsible under the normal ROI legal framework.
    8.0 Absence from work
    If you are absent from work during the Salary Sacrifice Period the payments detailed on the front page of this agreement will continue to reduce any pay you receive against which Salary Sacrifice reductions are legally permitted to be made provided your salary after Salary Sacrifice remains above the National Minimum Wage ('Eligible Pay').
    If you are temporarily not in receipt of Eligible Pay so as to allow for the Salary Sacrifice to continue, but you remain an employee of the Employer, then one of two options may apply - either your payments under this agreement will need to be made via an alternative arrangement and will be agreed with your employer at the time or (at your employer's discretion) your Employer may choose to suspend reductions until you begin to receive sufficient Eligible Pay again or you leave your employment (in which case the provisions of Section 9 (Leaving your employment) below will apply). However in all circumstances:-
    • the Salary Sacrifice Period will not be extended for more than 6 months beyond the initial 12 month salary sacrifice period; • if after 18 months from the start of the Salary Sacrifice Period, any payments under this agreement have yet to be made, the full balance (i.e. the total of all payments yet to be made) will become payable to your Employer. Your Employer may seek to deduct this from any future net salary payments due to you or, if the Employer decides otherwise, you may be required to pay the outstanding balance to your Employer within 14 days of request. In any case, you will no longer be entitled to the tax exemptions referred to in section 2 (Eligibility for Tax Benefits).
    9.0 Leaving your employment
    If you leave your employment, you will no longer be entitled to benefit from the tax exemptions referred to in section 2 (Eligibility for Tax Benefits) above.
    Consequently, if your employment with the Employer ceases for any reason during the Salary Sacrifice Period you will be liable for the full amount of the Salary Sacrifice commitment which was agreed at the outset of this Agreement. Salary Sacrifice deductions will still be taken from your salary during any notice period and any amount which remians outstanding at the date of termination will be deducted by the Employer from your final net payment
    10.0 Data Protection
    By entering into this agreement, you will be authorising the Employer to use, and pass to Cyclescheme Ltd and the relevant Cyclescheme Partner for them to use, personal information about you to the extent necessary to administer the arrangements described in this agreement. The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 will apply to that information.
    11.0 General
    The Employer will not have any responsibility under this agreement if it is delayed in performing, or fails to perform, any of its obligations under this agreement as a result of any circumstances beyond its reasonable control.
    The Employer intends to rely upon the written terms set out in this agreement. No variations will be effective unless expressly agreed in writing by an authorized representative of each of the parties.
    This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with Irish law and any dispute arising under this agreement will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Was looking at a few bikes yesterday and had settled on one and tried to haggle. I was asked if I was getting it through the bike to work, when I said I was they said they couldn't give a discount. I wasn't too happy so I said I didn't want it then. Did I over react or are the shops already loosing on the full price bu taking part in the bike to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

No, you were right to walk away. Plenty of shops out there willing to take your money.

The bikes aren't discounted by the shop on the BTW scheme. As you know, you receive the discount on the loan, which essentially is what it is. They will receive the same amount of money from the BTW scheme as a (legitimate) cash deal walking in off the street.

I'm just speculating, but he's probably thinking that YOU are already receiving a discount of 52% and he is using that as a tool not to give further discounts. As I said, plenty of other shops to spend it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i know that where i work the bike to work scheme was introduced and some bike shops in sligo weren't too interested and some were tripping over themselves to help. the scheme, while a good idea is inflating the cost of bikes as retailers have upped the asking price and luring people in with 52% off.

Obviously it is slightly more complicated by the fact you are not buying the bike yourself. The shop sells the bike to your employer. They don't have to do anything else though, and hence I can't see why they would not want to offer your employer the same discount they would be prepared to offer you.

The only potential issue is they may not be able to do a deal there and then, and I would guess the best discounts may be available to purchasers who can commit to (and pay for) the purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Thansk for the reply and sorry for not using the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

I suppose by the letter of the law they are selling the bike to your employer, by the fact that they are the one paying for it. But in reality it is being sold to the person and the employer just hands over the cheque.

Advertisement