Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nearly more red cards than scores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bencon

Poor form by Cavan having fellas taking a dive to get Murphy sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Bencon wrote: »

I agree that Murphy shouldn't have been sent off but Dane O'Dowd hardly dived - He was caught with a shoulder.

I'll post my opinion on the match later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd love to see you take a hit in the face with that force from a shoulder. You don't have a clue what you are talking about tbh. I don't think he meant to catch him in the face but he did, it certainly wasn't a dive.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

A dive? Get a grip.

He shouldered the lad in the face deserved red card. No use crying now you know Tyrone will wallop Donegal with the main man....:rolleyes:

The only dive I saw was from the Donegal man after a kickout to the stomach he went down clutching his face. Cristiano Ronaldo stuff there.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

DB10 wrote: »
    A dive? Get a grip.

He shouldered the lad in the face deserved red card. No use crying now you know Tyrone will wallop Donegal with the main man....:rolleyes:

The only dive I saw was from the Donegal man after a kickout to the stomach he went down clutching his face. Cristiano Ronaldo stuff there.....:rolleyes:

Seriously whats the weather like on your planet :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

A dive? Get a grip.

The kick was actually in his shoulder/chest area. But I suppose the view wasn't great from your armchair.

You would be better concerning yourself about the dwindling performances of the Cavan football team than how one of our players reacts to borderline assualt.

Cavan are playing curtain raiser to the two qualifiers on their HOME PITCH on Saturday week, that will tell you all you need to know.

Very disappointed with Cavan's display yesterday. An inexperienced team started and, to be honest, it looked like players such as Gareth Nesty Smith and Michael Brennan should have been on from the start when they came on. That said, I do think people are going over the top. Cavan were never world beaters and Donegal are a better side than people are giving them credit for. They have a strong bench to back up their starting 15 as well - players like Hegarty and McLoone coming off the bench. I wish them the best against Tyrone and would love to see them beat them.

In terms of Cavan against Longford, its going to be tough. Too many players were found wanting yesterday. David Givney was very poor, both at midfield and when he went to full forward. The full back line struggled badly and Lyng kicked more of the ball down the pitch to his own backs than he did to the opposition's goal. Eugene Keating, Gearoid McKiernan, John McCutcheon and Niall McDermott were the best performers of a bad bunch IMO.

I always said it was going to be a long hard road for Cavan but I still think we can beat Longford if the team selection is right. They are a good side but there's the core of a good side at the back of this Cavan team as well.

After yesterday's game, I'd be looking at this starting 15:

James Reilly
    James McEnroe
    Dermot Sheridan
    Dane O'Dowd
    John McCutcheon
    Paraic O'Reilly
    Mark McKeever
    David Givney
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Ronan Flanagan
    Gareth Smith
    Eugene Keating
    Niall McDermott
    Michael Brennan
    Sean Johnston

There's alot more experience there. If needs be, McCutcheon or Paraic O'Reilly (its unfortunate he was injured for yesterday) could go to midfield with Flanagan or Keating going into the half backs and McKiernan moving into the half forwards.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Very disappointed with Cavan's display yesterday. An inexperienced team started and, to be honest, it looked like players such as Gareth Nesty Smith and Michael Brennan should have been on from the start when they came on. That said, I do think people are going over the top. Cavan were never world beaters and Donegal are a better side than people are giving them credit for. They have a strong bench to back up their starting 15 as well - players like Hegarty and McLoone coming off the bench. I wish them the best against Tyrone and would love to see them beat them.

In terms of Cavan against Longford, its going to be tough. Too many players were found wanting yesterday. David Givney was very poor, both at midfield and when he went to full forward. The full back line struggled badly and Lyng kicked more of the ball down the pitch to his own backs than he did to the opposition's goal. Eugene Keating, Gearoid McKiernan, John McCutcheon and Niall McDermott were the best performers of a bad bunch IMO.

I always said it was going to be a long hard road for Cavan but I still think we can beat Longford if the team selection is right. They are a good side but there's the core of a good side at the back of this Cavan team as well.

After yesterday's game, I'd be looking at this starting 15:

James Reilly
    James McEnroe
    Dermot Sheridan
    Dane O'Dowd
    John McCutcheon
    Paraic O'Reilly
    Mark McKeever
    David Givney
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Ronan Flanagan
    Gareth Smith
    Eugene Keating
    Niall McDermott
    Michael Brennan
    Sean Johnston

There's alot more experience there. If needs be, McCutcheon or Paraic O'Reilly (its unfortunate he was injured for yesterday) could go to midfield with Flanagan or Keating going into the half backs and McKiernan moving into the half forwards.

Holluc???

Paracore wrote: »
    The kick was actually in his shoulder/chest area. But I suppose the view wasn't great from your armchair.

You would be better concerning yourself about the dwindling performances of the Cavan football team than how one of our players reacts to borderline assualt.

Cavan are playing curtain raiser to the two qualifiers on their HOME PITCH on Saturday week, that will tell you all you need to know.
    I was there thank you, unlike you and the miniscule Donegal crowd.

Suppose its hard to watch that tripe they call football over in the mountains. 15 men behind the ball at all times, some might think it was rugby we were watching.

Ah well, at least we can get to see two exciting games in state of the art facilities. Donegal will get hockeyed by Tyrone, and their negative football can bore some other side in the qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Suppose its hard to watch that tripe they call football over in the mountains. 15 men behind the ball at all times, some might think it was rugby we were watching.

Ah well, at least we can get to see two exciting games in state of the art facilities. Donegal will get hockeyed by Tyrone, and their negative football can bore some other side in the qualifiers.

lol jealous much??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Are you colour blind? Cavan played the negative football yesterday, hence the score.

It was obvious Cavan planned on trying to get Murphy sent off but we've other good forwards to get over his loss.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

For a team who played 15 men behind the ball we still scored double that of Cavan, without our best forward. Where was magic Johnston? In Laceys pocket no doubt!

We'll come back through Cavan with the Anglo Celt when we win it allow yous to see it up close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It wasnt a dive. Murphy was unluck that the height difference meant he got him in the face, but there is no doubt that he got him in the face. Murphy deserved to get sent off for pour stupidity, Damien Reilly was getting on with the game and there was no need for Murphy to do anything.
    We'll come back through Cavan with the Anglo Celt when we win it allow yous to see it up close :)

We have seen it a lot more than you, we have 39 Ulster titles compared to your five, and we have won it more recently than you also, 1997 as opposed to 1992. One win and they think they are the best team in the country - can only be Donegal.

We have seen it a lot more than you, we have 39 Ulster titles compared to your five, and we have won it more recently than you also, 1997 as opposed to 1992. One win and they think they are the best team in the country - can only be Donegal.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it a donegal man who was i charge the last time ye won it? ;) 28 years and county before that....

We don't think we're the best in the country just Ulster and its two wins actually :rolleyes:

We have seen it a lot more than you, we have 39 Ulster titles compared to your five, and we have won it more recently than you also, 1997 as opposed to 1992. One win and they think they are the best team in the country - can only be Donegal.

Wasn't it a donegal man who was i charge the last time ye won it? ;) 28 years and county before that....

We don't think we're the best in the country just Ulster and its two wins actually :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You'll see the next day against Tyrone. I wish ye the best but if you've nothing positive to say about Cavan football I'd suggest you head off to the Donegal GAA discussion thread.

As for your two wins, it takes alot more than beating Cavan and Antrim to win Ulster tbh. Yas have beaten the two poorest teams and have yet to be tested.

I'll be laughing soon when Tyrone whip the smirks of some of these mouthy Donegal lads.

Donegal are an average side, who talk an awful lot for a county that have achieved very little recently or ever.

I'll be laughing soon when Tyrone whip the smirks of some of these mouthy Donegal lads.

Donegal are an average side, who talk an awful lot for a county that have achieved very little recently or ever.

Good man jacknoff spouting the same tripe on here as you do on hogantsand I see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We don't think we're the best in the country just Ulster and its two wins actually :rolleyes:

You seem like a soccer fan who has jumped on the GAA bandwagon because you preceive your county to have a strong team. In GAA you have to earn the right to say you are the best team in a provence, and beating two very weak teams doesnt cut it.

And by the way, the Ulster title is awarded based on where the players come from, not where the manager is from, as you dont seem to be familiar with this.

Donegal are better than an average side. I'd place them in the top ten in the country, if not the top 8 and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in an All-Ireland semi final this year.

They are at a level that I can't imagine Cavan reaching in the next 2 to 3 years. They have young players coming through that are supporting the players already there.

That's why I can't understand why everyone is getting down so much about the loss. Even a Meath man commented to me yesterday, that Donegal hammered them in the league and he thought they were a very good side.

A good run in the qualifiers would be great for Cavan and our young players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Donegal are better than an average side. I'd place them in the top ten in the country, if not the top 8 and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in an All-Ireland semi final this year.

They are at a level that I can't imagine Cavan reaching in the next 2 to 3 years. They have young players coming through that are supporting the players already there.

That's why I can't understand why everyone is getting down so much about the loss. Even a Meath man commented to me yesterday, that Donegal hammered them in the league and he thought they were a very good side.

A good run in the qualifiers would be great for Cavan and our young players.

do you think Cavan rushed in their U21's or was there a need for it with the squad ye had? I was suprised to hear of so many starting, and although you obviously had a better U21 side than Wexford, I didnt think it was hugely better. Wexford have none of their side starting with them, and only one player has made an appearance as a sub. a lot of our main lads now are from the U21 side of about 3 years ago, and they were blooded in that 2-3 year period. seems to have done a lot of them the world of good.

bruschi wrote: »
    do you think Cavan rushed in their U21's or was there a need for it with the squad ye had? I was suprised to hear of so many starting, and although you obviously had a better U21 side than Wexford, I didnt think it was hugely better. Wexford have none of their side starting with them, and only one player has made an appearance as a sub. a lot of our main lads now are from the U21 side of about 3 years ago, and they were blooded in that 2-3 year period. seems to have done a lot of them the world of good.

In response to your first question "do you think Cavan rushed in their U21's or was there a need for it with the squad ye had?", I hate to play devil's advocate but I feel it was a bit of both to be honest. There are ten of the U21s or so in the panel. I feel its right to have them in the panel but I'm not sure we should have been starting with seven debutants on Sunday.

That said, the panel that there was weak so perhaps the joint managers are looking towards getting the young players blooded to have them ready for next year. As with my proposed selection for the next match above, I'd prefer to see a few more experienced campaigners start the next game, with U21s like Niall McDermott and Gearoid McKiernan making the step up in support. Starting a championship match with 4 new starters in the backline when you've players like Mark McKeever on the bench was the wrong decision IMO.

That said, Cavan were never going to beat Donegal. As I said above, they are a few years ahead of us in terms of progress. That's why I'm disappointed that people are reading into the match so much. Hopefully we can improve against Longford.

Two experienced players, Ronan Flanagan and Pauric O'Reilly, were also missing through injury. I'm hoping they will be back for the Longford as they would be a big addition.

In terms of Wexford and Cavan U21s, I do feel that Cavan were far stronger than Wexford. Cavan had just been through a gruelling game against Tyrone three days before that Wexford match. Had the team of had a week's rest, I feel the victory would have been more comprehensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

In response to your first question "do you think Cavan rushed in their U21's or was there a need for it with the squad ye had?", I hate to play devil's advocate but I feel it was a bit of both to be honest. There are ten of the U21s or so in the panel. I feel its right to have them in the panel but I'm not sure we should have been starting with seven debutants on Sunday.

thats what I would have thought too. its rare to see so many debutants of u21 starting a championship game. whatever about them starting over a season, but it just seemed rushed to throw them in at the deep end so quickly. whilst I think counties need to keep youth running through it, it needs to be done with the right balance. I was complaining that Brosnan should have been starting last year for Wexford, but it seems that getting the couple of substitue run outs and getting used to the pace of it all has set him up brilliantly this year. same goes for other young players who have had a few league games, then a couple of sub roles in championship, before a full league campaign and then a championship start.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

That said, the panel that there was weak so perhaps the joint managers are looking towards getting the young players blooded to have them ready for next year. As with my proposed selection for the next match above, I'd prefer to see a few more experienced campaigners start the next game, with U21s like Niall McDermott and Gearoid McKiernan making the step up in support. Starting a championship match with 4 new starters in the backline when you've players like Mark McKeever on the bench was the wrong decision IMO.

That said, Cavan were never going to beat Donegal. As I said above, they are a few years ahead of us in terms of progress. That's why I'm disappointed that people are reading into the match so much. Hopefully we can improve against Longford.

Two experienced players, Ronan Flanagan and Pauric O'Reilly, were also missing through injury. I'm hoping they will be back for the Longford as they would be a big addition.

In terms of Wexford and Cavan U21s, I do feel that Cavan were far stronger than Wexford. Cavan had just been through a gruelling game against Tyrone three days before that Wexford match. Had the team of had a week's rest, I feel the victory would have been more comprehensive.

Good post
    When we had the following:

Martin Cahill
    Michael Brennan
    Nesty
    Mark McKeever
    Thomas Corr
    Keith Fannin

all on the bench,there was no reason to have to start with 8 debutants.
    The under 21's are the future,but we cant heap everything upon them all at once. We all seen what happened Roscommon,when they were beaten out the gate in every game over a 2 year period when they tried it.
    Add to playing two of the under 21's Niall Murray and Fergal Flanagan out of position, as well as playing Dane o Dowd at cornerback who is a good footballer but is not an IC cornerback,added to the lack of a gameplan to counter Donegals blanket defense,and it was a very poor outing by the Cavan Management team.

Id like to see this team start the next day

1. James Reily
    2. Martin Cahill
    3. Thomas Corr
    4. Dermot Sheridan(if fit)
    5. Fergal Flanagan
    6. John McCutcheon
    7. Mark McKeever
    8. David Givney
    9. Gearoid McKiernan
    10.Niall Murray
    11.Gareth Smith
    12.Eugene Keating
    13.Niall McDermott
    14.Michael Brennan
    15.Sean Johnston

Hammar wrote: »
    Good post
    When we had the following:

Martin Cahill
    Michael Brennan
    Nesty
    Mark McKeever
    Thomas Corr
    Keith Fannin

all on the bench,there was no reason to have to start with 8 debutants.
    The under 21's are the future,but we cant heap everything upon them all at once. We all seen what happened Roscommon,when they were beaten out the gate in every game over a 2 year period when they tried it.
    Add to playing two of the under 21's Niall Murray and Fergal Flanagan out of position, as well as playing Dane o Dowd at cornerback who is a good footballer but is not an IC cornerback,added to the lack of a gameplan to counter Donegals blanket defense,and it was a very poor outing by the Cavan Management team.

Id like to see this team start the next day

1. James Reily
    2. Martin Cahill
    3. Thomas Corr
    4. Dermot Sheridan(if fit)
    5. Fergal Flanagan
    6. John McCutcheon
    7. Mark McKeever
    8. David Givney
    9. Gearoid McKiernan
    10.Niall Murray
    11.Gareth Smith
    12.Eugene Keating
    13.Niall McDermott
    14.Michael Brennan
    15.Sean Johnston

One of the big problems is our full back line, we just don't have a full back and two IC level corner backs in the county. It's a great pity as Cavan have struggled at full back for years.

I'm hoping for a win against Longford and then a run in the qualifiers if possible. That said, like I commented with the U21s, I'd much rather see our minors get to an Ulster final or bring an Ulster title home than the seniors have a run in the qualifers.

Already people are getting disillusioned with Val and Terry but they need time. Rome wasn't built in a day and Cavan football won't be fixed in one either. It's going to be a long and hard road but I do believe that things can be turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A dive? Get a grip.

Jesus you talk some tripe. Doubt tTyrone will wallop Donegal any worse than Cavan got walloped on Sunday :rolleyes:
    I forgot, there was a massive home crowd there wasn't there, all 8,000 of them.

Robbed from the Louth vs Meath thread but some good prices for admission for next Sunday's game:

Stand (Covered) €20 - Limited Availability - Available From County Board ONLY
    Stand (Uncovered) Seating Adult €20 - Unreserved Seating - Available from Clubs OR pay at stiles on the day
    Stand (Uncovered) Seating Juvenile €5 - Unreserved Seating - Available from Clubs OR pay at stiles on the day
    Senior Citizens Stand (Covered) €10 - Limited Availability - Available From Clubs ONLY
    Senior Citizens Stand (Uncovered) €10 - Unreserved Seating - Available from Clubs OR pay at stiles on the day
    No student concessions on Stand
    Terrace €10 - Available from Clubs OR pay at stiles on the day
    Terrace Juveniles FREE
    Season Tickets - Please use their Season Ticket card to gain access via the Season Stile.

At least that proves there's some sense left at headquarters after the madness of €27 into the covered stand last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

Well what can be said about that?
    Worst level of championship performance(both games) ive seen from a Cavan team in any year that i can remember.
    Have we hit rock bottom yet,or are we division 4 bound next year?
    I have no belief that Hyland and Andrews can steady what is a sinking ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

A blind man could see that there was no way on Earth 10 of the U21 panel were up to Senior Inter County standard, yet that's how many of them were drafted into the squad.

At most, 3 or 4 of the U21 should have been promoted with the rest sent back to their clubs for the year. Management have actually damaged some of those players by what they have done.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    Well what can be said about that?
    Worst level of championship performance(both games) ive seen from a Cavan team in any year that i can remember.
    Have we hit rock bottom yet,or are we division 4 bound next year?
    I have no belief that Hyland and Andrews can steady what is a sinking ship.

There's no point changing Hyland and Andrews tbh. I'm now thinking I'd prefer that Hyland was left to the job on his own. I saw Andrews' interview after the game and he didn't appear to have the spirit needed to lift this panel.

There's alot of work to be done. The performance was poor and, as the Celt pointed out this week, we've now been beaten 3 years in a row by Division 4 sides.

I really hope that the minors or juniors can lift the county again.

Advertisement