Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Nightrain

Does anyone know that G N' R played a gig in Keady, Co. Armagh when they were at the height of their fame?

well they did..

Keady is a tiny little town and Guns' tour manager was getting married to a girl from there. G N' R flew over for the reception and had big articulated trucks block off all entry to the town centre where they played the square.

That has to be crap. Why would guns play in armagh ? Wheres the proof ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Johnnycabs wrote:
    I'm on the fence on this lot TBH. Some of the 2002 era bootlegs of songs such as 'The Blues' and another class track 'Rhiad and The Bedouins' sound fantastic.
    The Blues is probably the best new song, although I'm pissed off that Axl chose to cut out the lead guitar part at the start this year. And, hurray! Finally someone else who likes Rhiad!
    Johnnycabs wrote:
    However, I can't say the same for 'T.W.A.T', which is real rocker playing with Cubasis stuff IMHO.
    You're talking about the leak right? I don't understand what you're saying... re: TWAT all I can personally say is, "WHY OH WHY DID BUCKETHEAD HAVE TO LEAVE!!!". What a solo....
    Johnnycabs wrote:
    I think Axl is a good songwriter but my biggest fear for the new album is that songs like The Blues and Madagascar will get the OTT Meat Loaf treatment a la November Rain (lets face it only the end bit is good LOL). I definitely don't regard GNR as rocks great white hope the way I did 3 years ago, but am hopeful the album will be good
    Dependin on my mood I like the first November Rain solo better, but the demos are far better in terms of the rest of the song, so I can agree with you. Madagascar is a kickass live song, but can't see it being as effective on record. I hope they don't ruin The Blues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Johnnycabs wrote:
    I think Axl is a good songwriter but my biggest fear for the new album is that songs like The Blues and Madagascar will get the OTT Meat Loaf treatment a la November Rain (lets face it only the end bit is good LOL)

The new Meatloaf album will see to it that no one else steals the big mans spotlight, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Isn't Meatloaf releasing Bat Out Of Hell Part THREE????? Now THAT'S SAD!!

B.T.W, these are the songs I've heard off GnR's new album:

I.R.S
    Better
    T.W.A.T(There Was A Time)
    Oh My God
    Chinese Democracy
    Rhiad & The Bedhouins
    Silkworms
    Oklahoma

All good songs except for Rhiad......horrible song.

I.R.S
    Better
    Oh My God
    Chinese Democracy
    Rhiad & The Bedhouins
    Silkworms
    Oklahoma

I got a promo copy for his label the other day, quite a brilliant album actually, not GNR btw i mean Meatloaf

• Advertisement

I.R.S
    Better
    Oh My God
    Chinese Democracy
    Rhiad & The Bedhouins
    Silkworms
    Oklahoma

You thought Silkworms was good???? :?

If you thought you heard "Oklahoma" it was a fake.

Oh My God and Slikworms won't be on CD.

Rhiad rocks! It's different... And what a name for a song.....

Listen to The Blues, Madagascar and Catcher in the Rye(Featuring Brian May, but unfortunately not on CD)

The version of "Rhiad" that I've heard sounds like it was recorded in a bloody toilet!!??

And wasn't "Oh My God" on the soundtrack to "End Of Days"(the Arnie Schwarzenneger film)????

BTW, do you think the release date of 20th November is gonna happen?

The version of "Rhiad" that I've heard sounds like it was recorded in a bloody toilet!!??
    It's an amateur live recording froom 2002 when Axl had a **** voice. The song itself is good.

And I'm guessing 14th, 21st or 28th November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

dimerocks wrote:
    they signed the name over to him during the use you illusion tour thats why he is using it. Nothing to do with better lawyers and more money.
    thats not really true either he demanded that they sign the name over to him just before the first concert or he wouldn't perform,he held the band to ransom for the name. it was **** like this that caused izzy to leave the nband, as for what he did to gilby clarke, bringing him on tour only to fire him when they finished was rotten. Axl f'ed the band up after Appetite by bringing string sections and pianos into it (i'm looking at you November Rain, Estranged)
    i ask you who in the band apart from Axl was their at the recording of Appetite?
    answer:0

Estranged is one of their best songs......

And Izzy just didn't want to tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

izzy just didn't want to tour? where do you get that, why don't you try watching any of the many documentaries made on the band and hear from Slash , from Duff from Matt Sorum how Axls asshole antics (beat that for Alliteration) drove him out of the band.

izzy just didn't want to tour? where do you get that, why don't you try watching any of the many documentaries made on the band and hear from Slash , from Duff from Matt Sorum how Axls asshole antics (beat that for Alliteration) drove him out of the band.
    I've seen documentaries on the subject and the problem is what I've highlighted in your post, they're biased. Sure Scott Weiland is even often in these documentaries which just ridicule Axl and tell it from their perspective. Have you heard the Axl interview on Eddie Trunk's radio show a few months back? Acccording to Axl the demise of the bad was due to a three way fight between Axl, Izzy and Slash over what songs should be on the Illusions, the compromise being 2 albums with everyone's songs included. Izzy left the band due to differences between him and Axl and Slash, as well as the fact that he simply didn't want to be on the road touring. Gilby's dismissal was fair enough, he was just filling in(Same as Ron Thal these days I guess). The whole Paul Tobias affair was a total mess though and Axl probably isn't without blame there.

All I'm saying is the whole "Axl is an asshole" thing is baseless and he wasn't the only reason for the band's demise.

And anyway, as Slash has shown us in his other projects besides GNR, he is nothing without Axl. Having heard the leaks it is clear Buckethead is an adequate replacement(and Ron Thal isn't bad as a live replacement either).

http://www.mygnr.com/album/ChineseDemocracy.html

If you check out the above link, I think you'll find that "Catcher In The Rye" WILL be on the new album!? Also, I guess the album will be released in Europe/ROTW on 20th November......just a guess....?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Having heard the leaks it is clear Buckethead is an adequate replacement(and Ron Thal isn't bad as a live replacement either).

...I have to say I'm very impressed with Buckethead as a guitarist, some very cool videos of him on Youtube etc. He has that '60's supercomputer' thing down to a tee, a really cool trademark. Thal however is just messy to my ears- I thought his solo was muck at the RDS. He's probaly technically out of this world but none of that matters if you still sound crap (He also needs a serious makeover, he looked like something from Pyromania era Def Leppard)!
    IMHO 3 guitarists live is overkill anyway(getting off-topic here, sorry).

I'm very surprised at the negative comments around 'Rhiad'...unless you have a different version to me (I think mine is from Vegas late 2002, the solo in that has the supercomputer thing I refer to above). Horses for courses I guess.

http://www.mygnr.com/album/ChineseDemocracy.html

If you check out the above link, I think you'll find that "Catcher In The Rye" WILL be on the new album!? Also, I guess the album will be released in Europe/ROTW on 20th November......just a guess....?
    Actually, Catcher in the Rye will probably be on it(possibly without Brian May's guitar work, however), I was wrong, but that site says "Possible Tracklist". Oh My God and Silkworms won't be on CD.
    Johnnycabs wrote:
    ...I have to say I'm very impressed with Buckethead as a guitarist, some very cool videos of him on Youtube etc. He has that '60's supercomputer' thing down to a tee, a really cool trademark. Thal however is just messy to my ears- I thought his solo was muck at the RDS. He's probaly technically out of this world but none of that matters if you still sound crap (He also needs a serious makeover, he looked like something from Pyromania era Def Leppard)!
    Yeah his solo was muck. Thal's really hit and miss tbh, sometimes his solos just don't fit.

Buckethead's on the album though, that's all that matters.

According to www.rollingstone.com, Sebastian Bach(once of Skid Row), has heard some of the other tracks on "Chinese Democracy". He says that there's a song titled "Sorry" that's almost DOOM METAL in sound!!!!????

Also, GnR's manager has said on www.newgnr.com that they may not even announce a release date for the album, but that people may walk into their local record store some Tuesday and find it there......?

I've just been onto both Virgin Megastore AND HMV and they have no definite release date for the album........???

The guy in Virgin Megastore told me that they usually get notice of an album's release at least a month in advance, but they've heard nothin' yet.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 006

Also, GnR's manager has said on www.newgnr.com that they may not even announce a release date for the album, but that people may walk into their local record store some Tuesday and find it there......?

I reckon thats exactly what they'll do!!!! ...as this is the most "anticipated" album release in many years....they'll prob will release the album totally out of the blue without any promotion before hand, causing a total frenzy of media hype!!! ... then they'll use the tour and a couple of weeks of intense promotion leading up to xmas to make the album sell.....I wonder if they'll even release a single before the album!?

I've just been onto both Virgin Megastore AND HMV and they have no definite release date for the album........???

The guy in Virgin Megastore told me that they usually get notice of an album's release at least a month in advance, but they've heard nothin' yet.....??

Hello, SlashNBurn ;)

I hope they don't promote it, that'd rock. It'd be such a "I don't care how successful this is, I'm doing it for the music and the fans" type move from Axl(in stark contrast to that sellout, Slash).

So what??? Ye figured out who I am??? Who the f**k are you, Sherlock bleedin Holmes???

• Advertisement

Why take offence to an innocent observation?

I don't understand some people....

You're right, sorry;) !!

I wish the f**kin thing would come out quick!!! The gig in the RDS really whetted(spelling?)my "Appetite".

I think "Better" would be a good choice for first single too...............?

So what??? Ye figured out who I am??? Who the f**k are you, Sherlock bleedin Holmes???

I always find that Guns N Roses fans take this whole thing too seriously. Im a GNR fan, and it wont take a genius to find me at HTGTH making various pro and anti GNR comments, but its all in good fun. At the end of the day you have to realise that the album will be out when he wants it to be, and nothing anyone can say will do a blind bit of difference. In the meantime look forward to the 24th...the first date of the NA Tour, and just pray riots dont dog this one....

At least its not starting in Canada this time!

The only people who TRULY know when and if this f**kin record is coming out are the following:

1. Axl, Dizzy,Bumblefoot,Brain,Chris Pitman,Ron Thal(ie The Band).
    2. Merck Mercuriadis(ie The Manager)
    3. The f**king record company.
    4. This one's just a guess, but I reckon the record stores HAVE been given a release date, but are told not to say anything until nearer the actual date of release!?

So, let's just forget about it until it actuallyHAPPENS!!!??:mad:

Looks like "Better" will be their first single. I'm pissed off at this though.

So THAT's the way they release their first bit of official Chinese Democracy material? Crap...

Good use of their song. Check it out for yourselves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKffKwyneY&eurl=

I have to say, firm proof Guns N Roses album is shaping up to be released, and this version sounds just like the demo really....a little more polished, not much though:o

Check out these links:

www.chinesedemocracy.com, and www.critical-solution.com!!

People are going ****in' SPASTIC about this album(including me)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

OK. As much as I love Slash and the others, and I think Scott Weiland is a bloody good frontman, they really haven't impressed me as much as Axl has with this new effort.

I went to Download this year, and the show that was put on completely crapped all over Velvet Revolver. Axl's new band is outstanding. And Bumblefoot is in many ways, much cooler than Slash.

I don't know whether it's just that my musical tastes have changed over the years, but what I've heard from Chinese Democracy so far, the whole thing just feels incredibly fresh. I for one am quite pleasantly surprised at how impressive this album is turning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Personally, if i was to go from that HD ad, it'll be a few bob saved for me. I havent heard anything else from the album, maybe cos of lack of GNR interest for me, so i'll wait another while. CAnt see the album coming out for another while though, well, not before Christmas anyway.

• Advertisement

Are you kidding???

It's gotta be coming out this year!!!??

If it isn't, then why are all these leaks springing up all over the place, and why did their manager release the "There are 13 Tuesdays between now and Christmas......" statement???

AND they're starting North American tour in the coming weeks,so, it points to one thing for me - CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS COMING OUT THIS YEAR!!

Advertisement