Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sewer jetting questions

• 12-08-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to give the sewer connection pipes in my house a cleanout to prevent any buildups and I'm torn between getting a jetting attachment for my pressure washer or a set of rods

I know they have different uses and I may end up getting both in time, but for the moment I'm looking at doing more of an annual clean then clearing a blockage (which ideally won't happen if I keep cleaning it)

I'm leaning towards the jetting attachment as it seems more suited for the purpose but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of them and how they would rate them?

Also, can you jet against the flow of the sewer pipe? I have 2 Access Junctions in the back garden where the waste pipes meet up and the go into the public sewer. Since that's the only access I'd like to push the jetter towards the house to clean the pipes that way, but I'd be worried about pressurising the system and blowing water out of the sinks or toilets :eek:

Finally, my waste vent stack goes through the inside of the house and into the attic where it vents through the roof. Should I clean it down somehow? I feel like putting the jetting tool in through the top might be bad as the system would again get pressurised

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Unless you have a truck mounted pressure washer, there is no risk of you lifting the toilet seat!

The jetting piece I have creates a backward driven cone of water which drives the head up the sewer, spraying backwards all the time.
    It is not a forward spraying jet.

It is really effective and if you do it against the direction of flow all the better as the jet will drive whatever you have in the pipe in the direction of flow.

The down side with this approach is that it may go up one of the swept bends in a AJ rather than straight up the sewer
    No need to even contemplate the stack

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks, the sewer pipes in my house are pretty straight as far as I can tell, they seem to have done a decent job keeping the bends to a minimum. I think there's only 1 pipe coming down from upstairs and that joins the others in the AJ, so there shouldn't be any chance of the jetting tool going up the wrong pipe (I think)

Good to know regarding the vent stack, I had figured it would be low maintenance but it's nice to know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

A cheaper approach might be a simple drain brush head, if you already have a set of rods. I use this combination maybe once a year to remove the fat and scale build up that occurs on the drains. Although I often wonder how my neighbours get by, as they don't some to bother with anything like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

A cheaper approach might be a simple drain brush head, if you already have a set of rods. I use this combination maybe once a year to remove the fat and scale build up that occurs on the drains. Although I often wonder how my neighbours get by, as they don't some to bother with anything like that!

I don't actually have a set of rods yet, but I may look at getting both down the line.

I'll probably get the jetter tool first then look at getting a set of rods next year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

A jetter us great. . I have a half inch hydraulic hose with a jetter tip. Its brilliant. It takes off all that build up from washing machines etc. I take the tip off and connect it to the lance and can wash half the house and yard without moving the tank

If you want a small one , kransle do a great one that can be used on smaller waste pipes as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement