Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanmoof bike vendors and/or similar bike vendors

• 28-07-2020 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Folks,

Anyone hear of the Vanmoof bike manufacturer? There latest bike is the S3. They've a shop on Drury street and I'm impressed with the security measures they have (100 euro per year subscription). The bikes themselves are 2 grand but seem solid. Considering the price for a typical electric bike this seems reasonable.

Unfortunately my employer uses travelhub.ie for the cycle to work scheme and they don't deal with Vanmoof. Does anyone know of electric bikes with comparable security options and/or vendors who sell Vanmoof aside from Vanmoof themselves?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

Great bike - I road-tested it yesterday myself. I've been following Vanmoof for a while, the S3 certainly fits the bill for me. The boost button is amazing! The bike feels a bit chunky, but it's solid and a pleasure to cycle. I look forward to buzzing all the way up Chesterfield Avenue through Phoenix Park while barely turning the pedals.
    However, they don't participate in the Irish cycle-to-work scheme. When I mailed them initially about it in April the response was to tell me that I can buy through their London store as they do sell through the UK cycle-to-work scheme. I got the impression from the correspondence that they assumed that we were the same.
    :mad:
    Their FAQs state that they operate the UK cycle-to-work scheme through 3rd-party voucher sellers such as Cyclescheme and Bike2Work, both of which have Irish branches operating in the Irish market. I contacted both and unfortunately neither deal with Vanmoof for Irish cycle-to-work-scheme buyers.
    Until they sort this out I can't justify spending €2000 on a bike that should cost me only €1,400.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the restriction isn't in the Irish scheme - you can buy off any seller (I got my bike from Wiggle) but some employers have their own restrictions presumably to simplify invoicing by only dealing with a single supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 necronius

Great bike - I road-tested it yesterday myself. I've been following Vanmoof for a while, the S3 certainly fits the bill for me. The boost button is amazing! The bike feels a bit chunky, but it's solid and a pleasure to cycle. I look forward to buzzing all the way up Chesterfield Avenue through Phoenix Park while barely turning the pedals.
    However, they don't participate in the Irish cycle-to-work scheme. When I mailed them initially about it in April the response was to tell me that I can buy through their London store as they do sell through the UK cycle-to-work scheme. I got the impression from the correspondence that they assumed that we were the same.
    :mad:
    Their FAQs state that they operate the UK cycle-to-work scheme through 3rd-party voucher sellers such as Cyclescheme and Bike2Work, both of which have Irish branches operating in the Irish market. I contacted both and unfortunately neither deal with Vanmoof for Irish cycle-to-work-scheme buyers.
    Until they sort this out I can't justify spending €2000 on a bike that should cost me only €1,400.

Thanks for the update. I've raised a ticket with Vanmoof regarding the cycle to work scheme. Hopefully things have changed since you asked them in April. Getting that sweet, sweet cycle to work scheme discount is crucial imo.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the restriction isn't in the Irish scheme - you can buy off any seller (I got my bike from Wiggle) but some employers have their own restrictions presumably to simplify invoicing by only dealing with a single supplier.

Did you get a vanmoof bike off of Wiggle? I'll see if a friend's employer might be more flexible in dealing with Vanmoof for the cycle to work scheme.

necronius wrote: »
    Did you get a vanmoof bike off of Wiggle? I'll see if a friend's employer might be more flexible in dealing with Vanmoof for the cycle to work scheme.

Vanmoof will only sell direct online, not through resellers, unfortunately. I called a bikeshop in Blanch village to see whether he'd buy the bike for me and put on a margin so I could get the CTW - he wasn't interested. I called a shop in Sandymount and they'll take a look.

VM will take vouchers from Bike2Work UK & Cyclescheme UK but not their Irish branches, and apparently they're not interested.

They've got no motivation to bother with administration of a C2W scheme in a small market like Ireland. Their bikes are in huge demand, they can't keep up supply. There's plenty who will happily pay €2k online, no invoices, no fuss.

Revenue insist that vendors must be on the Office of Government Procurement Suppliers List.... https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/taxation-of-employer-benefits/cycle-to-work-scheme.aspx. Wriggle I'd there, Vanmoof ain't. I've asked them to apply (a one page document asking for contact details and VAT number) and they wouldn't. I even filled it out yesterday and sent it to them asking that they email it on... They won't.

It's crazy that any company would be so blasé about losing so many potential buyers. I can't imagine that any PAYE worker would pay €2k for a bike they could have bought for €1400 if the vendor just bothered to fill out a feckin' form.

BTW, the revised CTW limits come in in September, so don't be buying any electric bike until then.

• Advertisement

Vanmoof will only sell direct online, not through resellers, unfortunately. I called a bikeshop in Blanch village to see whether he'd buy the bike for me and put on a margin so I could get the CTW - he wasn't interested. I called a shop in Sandymount and they'll take a look.

VM will take vouchers from Bike2Work UK & Cyclescheme UK but not their Irish branches, and apparently they're not interested.

They've got no motivation to bother with administration of a C2W scheme in a small market like Ireland. Their bikes are in huge demand, they can't keep up supply. There's plenty who will happily pay €2k online, no invoices, no fuss.

Revenue insist that vendors must be on the Office of Government Procurement Suppliers List.... https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/taxation-of-employer-benefits/cycle-to-work-scheme.aspx. Wriggle I'd there, Vanmoof ain't. I've asked them to apply (a one page document asking for contact details and VAT number) and they wouldn't. I even filled it out yesterday and sent it to them asking that they email it on... They won't.

It's crazy that any company would be so blasé about losing so many potential buyers. I can't imagine that any PAYE worker would pay €2k for a bike they could have bought for €1400 if the vendor just bothered to fill out a feckin' form.

BTW, the revised CTW limits come in in September, so don't be buying any electric bike until then.

Jaysus, your some (wo)man for one (wo)man. Hopefully that crowd in Sandymount help you out. I can't get over Vanmoof's lack of interest. Such little work to make so much dough.

Thanks for the heads up, fingers crossed Vanmoof might change their mind by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Am I missing something? That suppliers list is only for civil servants.

AFAIK there's no issue with buying directly from Vanmoof. I won't profess to be au fait with how tax is dealt with though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TheRevenue wrote:
    The purchase can be made in any cycle shop. If you are a civil or public servant, the cycle shop must be on the suppliers list.

like I said, it depends on your employer. The civil service have a list, other employers deal with a single middleman, others will let you buy anywhere. It's not a Revenue restriction. You can't buy a VanMoof from Wiggle, I was just giving it as an example of a UK vendor that I was able to buy from.

They have a pop up store opening up in Drury St. You can book a test-ride now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's been open since last week, the original post literally mentions it

• Advertisement

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jymian

Just in case anyone's still looking, VanMoof are on the Revenue approved list now (page 14), so public servants can buy direct and use the CTW scheme. And September's only a month away.

jymian wrote: »
    Just in case anyone's still looking, VanMoof are on the Revenue approved list now (page 14), so public servants can buy direct and use the CTW scheme. And September's only a month away.

Happy days, how did you hear about that? I've messaged vannmoof on facebook to see if they will be registered with private workers for the CTW scheme. I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

jymian wrote: »

This is excellent news. I've never used the CTW scheme but I think will be doing so for an S3! How exactly does the scheme work in practice? I get onto my HR or peoplepoint and they issue me a voucher then I give voucher to Vanmoof?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This is excellent news. I've never used the CTW scheme but I think will be doing so for an S3! How exactly does the scheme work in practice? I get onto my HR or peoplepoint and they issue me a voucher then I give voucher to Vanmoof?

Dunno who your employer is.
    The scheme works by you sacrificing your salary/wages and your employer using that amount to buy a bike for you from an EU Supplier instead. Like all jobs, some employers are sound, and some are less than sound.

Hi,
    So, a few things to note:
    I've just checked the site and there does not appear to be any test-ride slots available in the Dublin pop-up shop on Drury Street after Sunday 16th, so if you haven't had a go on one of these magical machines, I'd suggest you book a slot asap.
    Secondly, for any of the 300k civil and public sector workers, I've been in touch with PeoplePoint who have confirmed that, now that Vanmoof is on the OGP Suppliers' List, they are now able to pay €1,000 (or €1,500 from September) directly to the vendor (Vanmoof) but the buyer (me) will have to pay the balance directly to the vendor. I've read previously among the Support pages that Vanmoof will only take a single payment (voucher) for each bike operating the UK's Cycle to Work Scheme. I have emailed them at dublin@vanmoof.com asking for clarification as to their acceptable payment methods. I've suggested that they could receive the PO from my employer and send me a "discount code" for that value that I could then pay the balance on the payments page using the discount code along with my own credit-card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Hi, just a quick one - how’d you get in touch with peoplepoint out of interest? Phones aren’t being answered and only “urgent” emails replied to, which evidently mine aren’t ��

art wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick one - how’d you get in touch with peoplepoint out of interest? Phones aren’t being answered and only “urgent” emails replied to, which evidently mine aren’t ��

Logged a new case in the portal. They replied after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mistergreen

FYI
    According to Revenue website - the extended scheme is effective August 01

Contacted cyclescheme.ie - one of the operators of the scheme and they are currently updating their website and procedures.

VanMoof told me that they are looking to participate in the scheme (that was an enquiry on their European website)?

Neat solution from Clare_Culchie to the payment issue if they go for it i.e. " I've suggested that they could receive the PO from my employer and send me a "discount code" for that value that I could then pay the balance on the payments page using the discount code along with my own credit-card details."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does anyone know how long the VanMoof shop is staying open for on Drury St?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Does anyone know how long the VanMoof shop is staying open for on Drury St?

Not long but they're moving to Wicklow Street (near Siopaella) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Interesting reading about them on trustpilot. I like the design but they look to have quality problems according to the site.

Interesting reading about them on trustpilot. I like the design but they look to have quality problems according to the site.

IMO a bike, a complex piece of machinery, that's bought online, is always going to have frequent reliability problems. Make it a fully integrated e-bike and you're multiplying the number of things that can go wrong. I think that's understandable and actually probably fine.

The key is whether or not the customer service is great—whether they'll sort out the problems for you and you'll get a perfect product in the end. That seems to be a mixed bag going by reviews (although I never know whether to trust reviews of customer service because people can be exceptionally grumpy).

Yeah one would wonder how hard it is to get these things fixed if something goes wrong. It sounds like it would be like trying to fix Knight Rider.
    So they're moving to Wicklow street permanently? I still think I might get one if I can get it on cycle to work. Decathlon have some good ones too at the moment, but they're not doing cycle to work right now.

Yeah one would wonder how hard it is to get these things fixed if something goes wrong. It sounds like it would be like trying to fix Knight Rider.
    So they're moving to Wicklow street permanently? I still think I might get one if I can get it on cycle to work. Decathlon have some good ones too at the moment, but they're not doing cycle to work right now.

Decathlon are (or were recently) doing the Cycle To Work scheme, but they were not allowing purchases via the Bike2Work/TravelHub company.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Decathlon are (or were recently) doing the Cycle To Work scheme, but they were not allowing purchases via the Bike2Work/TravelHub company.

I don't know what that means but I messaged them on facebook recently and they said they were not doing it, they may have said no longer doing it, so maybe they stopped.

I don't know what that means but I messaged them on facebook recently and they said they were not doing it, they may have said no longer doing it, so maybe they stopped.

They definitely used to through their website anyway:
    https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057801036

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ColtM

Looking at getting an S3 through my company but they only pay vendors by EFT.

On the Vanmoof website, it says they only accept credit card or PayPal.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a bike though their company or getting bank details from Vanmoof to make payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

ColtM wrote: »

Has anyone had any luck in getting a bike though their company or getting bank details from Vanmoof to make payment?

I am here looking for an answer to the same question my company want bank account details to make the payment, BIC and IBAN

• Advertisement

ColtM wrote: »

No, I've been begging Vanmoof for this since the S3 launch. My employer will only pay by EFT, and only to €1,500, they won't accept payment of the shortfall (€548 incl. delivery).

There's no way that I can see that I can buy this bike through the Cycle To Work Scheme.

To be honest, I can't imagine anybody in Ireland would be willing to buy this bike if they can't buy it through the C2W scheme. Why would you pay €2,000 for a bike that you know you could have bought for €1,400 if the seller was just willing to accept split-payments?

If Vanmoof Dublin sell one bike I'd be surprised.

Advertisement