Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canary Islands offer free Covid insurance to tourists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Doesn't EHIC cover you there anyway?

Smacks of a PR push more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Doesn't EHIC cover you there anyway?

Smacks of a PR push more than anything else

EHIC doesn't cover the cost of two weeks' extended stay due to quarantining, or the cost of a new return flight at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Looks like it includes repatriation costs also.
    The quarantine costs are limited to 100€ a day, that would not go far if you are quantified in a hotel having to order all your meals in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow. Sounds like exactly something you’d love on a holiday ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,121 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Minier81 wrote: »
    Looks like it includes repatriation costs also.
    The quarantine costs are limited to 100€ a day, that would not go far if you are quantified in a hotel having to order all your meals in your room.

I would also doubt any hotel is going to want to take in someone infected with Covid, wouldn't exactly lure in many other visitors.

• Advertisement

I would also doubt any hotel is going to want to take in someone infected with Covid, wouldn't exactly lure in many other visitors.

But if you are already a guest there and discover you have covid you will be asked to quarantine where you are staying . Assuming you do not require hospitalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't think you get this. You don't rock up to a new hotel after a positive test for Covid-19 to check in. You're already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If someone picks up the virus and has to extend their stay in the hotel under quarantine, he's covered but what if I arrive and the hotel says the room is occupied and they can't accommodate me? Not saying the person with the virus should be ejected but this is an issue that should concern anyone planning to go there.

If there is an outbreak in the resort you've booked to go to, there could be a lockdown with quarantine and even if they're allowing inbound flights, the chances are that the hotels will be full of tourists under quarantine so availability will be zero.

That policy would provide me with no comfort at all. From the perspective of tourism promotion, I think it's a bad idea because it's highlighting the fact that you could go there on holidays and a few days later be subject to a lockdown and confined to your hotel room.

coylemj wrote: »
    If someone picks up the virus and has to extend their stay in the hotel under quarantine, he's covered but what if I arrive and the hotel says the room is occupied and they can't accommodate me? Not saying the person with the virus should be ejected but this is an issue that should concern anyone planning to go there.

If there is an outbreak in the resort you've booked to go to, there could be a lockdown with quarantine and even if they're allowing inbound flights, the chances are that the hotels will be full of tourists under quarantine so availability will be zero.

That policy would provide me with no comfort at all.

I doubt any hotels are operating at anywhere near full occupancy at the moment. More to the point, even if the hotel had a room would you want to stay there? Entire hotels were locked down in march due to a guest testing positive and all guests had to remain there for 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,121 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't think you get this. You don't rock up to a new hotel after a positive test for Covid-19 to check in. You're already there.

I suppose that will work provided the hotel is not at 100% occupancy and they have to turn away new arrivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I suppose that will work provided the hotel is not at 100% occupancy and they have to turn away new arrivals.

I read way back, when they were planning the reopening, that hotel occupancy would be at a reduced level. I don't know if they've stuck to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

The very fact that this insurance is offered as a way to attract more visitors would surely suggest that hotels aren't currently at full capacity.

Advertisement