Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quantum 70 - external bell on power cut

• 05-08-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I don't recall this ever happening in the past. However, when there is a power cut in the area, my external bell sounds. This happens even if the alarm is not armed at the time of the powercut.

When this power cut happens, the internal bell does not sound. Only the external.
    I have no way to turn it off. Entering the codes etc does nothing.

This happened today during a power cut but also when the ESB came to replace my ESB meter. I could not disable the alarm and they had to work in the full noise for 20 minutes until they restored power. :eek:

Can it be disabled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Do the l.e.d.s om your external box blink constantly in normal conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

yes, the two red LEDs on the external bell blink alternatively and always have.

Alarm was fitted 7 years ago. After 3.5 years I got a replace panel battery alert. I think that message is on a 3 year timer. I replaced the battery pack.
    Now its 3 years later so it might be the battery pack in the panel needs to be replaced again as it does not have enough juice to handle the external bell during a power outage. I'll replace the panel battery pack and see if a power outage(simulated by me this time) still causes the bell to sound.

I hadn't realised the battery pack in the panel powered the external bell during a power cut. My installer suggested (since my inital post) I try replacing panel battery pack first.

If not, I might need to get him on a call out I guess to see whats happening. I don't believe this happened on a power outage before. Only the panel might show the power cut icons flashing, but the external bell did not sound.

edit: thanks for your reply kub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

100gSoma wrote: »
    yes, the two red LEDs on the external bell blink alternatively and always have.

Alarm was fitted 7 years ago. After 3.5 years I got a replace panel battery alert. I think that message is on a 3 year timer. I replaced the battery pack.
    Now its 3 years later so it might be the battery pack in the panel needs to be replaced again as it does not have enough juice to handle the external bell during a power outage. I'll replace the panel battery pack and see if a power outage(simulated by me this time) still causes the bell to sound.

I hadn't realised the battery pack in the panel powered the external bell during a power cut. My installer suggested (since my inital post) I try replacing panel battery pack first.

If not, I might need to get him on a call out I guess to see whats happening. I don't believe this happened on a power outage before. Only the panel might show the power cut icons flashing, but the external bell did not sound.

edit: thanks for your reply kub

No problem.

Is your external sounder actually wired up to your control panel ?

Advertisement