Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does this mean? "We are unable to provide you with an online quote "

• 04-06-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

"We are unable to provide you with an online quote if you have been involved in an accident or had a claim in the last 5 years, however we may be able to provide you with a quote over the phone. Please contact us on xxxxxxx where we may be able to help you. "

This is from the car insurance quote application on the website.
    It's not clear whether it includes claims made before 5 years but settled eg 3 years ago, claims made against a 3rd party who was at fault, or accidents which were not the fault of the person applying for insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We internet people can only speculate or guess, probably quickest to ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

tina1040 wrote: »
    "We are unable to provide you with an online quote if you have been involved in an accident or had a claim in the last 5 years, however we may be able to provide you with a quote over the phone. Please contact us on xxxxxxx where we may be able to help you. "

This is from the car insurance quote application on the website.
    It's not clear whether it includes claims made before 5 years but settled eg 3 years ago, claims made against a 3rd party who was at fault, or accidents which were not the fault of the person applying for insurance.

If you have been involved in any accidents or claims, regardless of fault within the period specified by the insurer (usually last 5 years but I believe some ask for last 3 years) then you are obligated to disclose them. It relates to when the claim was made eg you crashed into someone in 2014 but the claim only settled in 2017, you do not need to declare that as the date of the incident that led to the claim is more than 5 years ago. Obviously if a claim is still open it must be declared, regardless of when it occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It can mean anything, in my case it was the age of the car.

I had an 01 insured with them, wanted to change to an 06, got the message you did. Rang them: the 06 is too old.

Er, hello, it's 5 years newer than the one I have with you already ?

FFS.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's the "computer says no" answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Had this with AIG this morning. Gave me a reference number, rang them...wouldnt quote me over the phone, wouldnt tell me why, said they would send out a proposal form to fill in and send back, would take 15-20 days. Wouldnt answer as to why they wouldnt quote. Never had an accident, full clean licence. Very odd. Told them i would take my business elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

madalig12 wrote: »
    Had this with AIG this morning. Gave me a reference number, rang them...wouldnt quote me over the phone, wouldnt tell me why, said they would send out a proposal form to fill in and send back, would take 15-20 days. Wouldnt answer as to why they wouldnt quote. Never had an accident, full clean licence. Very odd. Told them i would take my business elsewhere.
    Sounds like they have an issue with the car. Try different make/model, and see if they still don't quote you. If that both fails, a different address; they could be just location snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Just curious are these insurance companies logging all your inputs
    Ie if i log on to XXX Insurance and at the start they ask for my email address or other identifiable information. Then I proceed to input multiple quotes with differing stories.

Quote 1 (3 Points)
    Quote 2 (0 Points)
    Quote 4 (Different address)
    Quote 5 (2 Accidents in last 3 years)
    Quote 6 (No Accidents ever)

I assume the car insurance company has software that alerts them to suspect insurance cover quote activity? I know in a company I worked for even if you hadnt bought anything the boss would get an email with what you had in your cart and what you had looked at on the site even if you hadnt completed the purchase and no purchase was created or paid for ! He was known to email people back asking if he could help them complete their order:pac: (pre data protection days)

Advertisement