Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard; Coding Institute

Options
  • 20-07-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone, there might be another thread for this topic I just couldn't find it so apologies if there is.
    I'm currently unemployed and have been researching courses that I could do on Springboard. A lot seem to be along the IT lines which I'm considering looking into. I have a BSc in multimedia so I'm fairy tech savvy already but was more looking into the software development/coding side of things. There's one course on Springboard from the Code Institute 'Full Stack Software Development' that jumped out at me, seems to start at the basics and build you up from there. I guess I have a couple questions if anyone out there could shed some light that'd be great;
    1. Has anyone completed this course from the Code Institute and if so, how did you find it, the online learning, workload etc? Also the current course has a start date of the end of this month; any idea whether they run the course more than once maybe later in the year?
    2. Or has anyone done another Springboard course along the same lines as the Code Institute one and would they have any advice or recommendations?
    A lot of the courses have application deadlines in the next couple of weeks so I know they might be full already but figured there's nothing to lose by trying!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I had a look at that course it is only a level 6 while it's not impossible to get a software development job with it, I think in my opinion it would be difficult.

Did you mention you already have a degree how about a conversion maybe a hdip, I think they are level 8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notions13

Thanks for the response!

Yeah I guess the appeal of it was more that it began with the basics, you don't need to have prior knowledge. Yes I have a degree, I dealt with elements of coding during my degree course but that was a few years ago now so not sure how much I would remember!
    I'm trying to see if any of them are Level 8s on Springboard (as I'm unemployed the courses are free so seems like a good opportunity) I just find it hard to zone in on a course without hearing from someone who's done it already if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

It does actually look from the code institute website that they might try to pair you up with potential employers, which would be a help so they might help you get a foot in the door. I would say you'd have to quiz them on that to see the success rate in the job opportunities they have.

They do have a 5 day bootcamp here might refresh your skills that you previously done as they seems they have some code challenges to get accepted into the course.

I know quite a few people in the company I am in who have done the conversion Hdip and have been quite successful at their position. That was just the 1 year conversion but i heard it is intense as they try cram in a lot into the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notions13

I've signed up for the 5 day bootcamp so hopefully that will give me a bit of an idea of what it's like.

Yeah I think that GMIT have a 'Higher Diploma in Science - Computing (Software Development)' which seems to be a year long conversion course; just need to see if I'm eligible for it as some of them have different rules depending on DEASP payments etc.

Advertisement