Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbie Questions

• 07-08-2020 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Ok I don't see a FAQ thread but I could be blind. I have kids of the perfect age and just done our first caravan trip. We want to invest but maybe a couple of questions if people dont mind

Caravan v Campervan:

Apart from the obvious cost, I was told to spend 40k on Campervan and buy in Germany. The recommendation seems to be Caravan with an awning so you can use car for shops etc? or am I wrong?

Caravan: I was recommended by two people not to buy a twin axle. The reason was a certain nomad clan buy twin axle. Is this correct?
    Another reason which would be more of a concern is that some sites will not accept twin axle caravans?

If 40k for a Campervan then what is the recommendation to spend on the caravan? I would expect to keep for at least 5 years.

Thank you and sorry for asking stupid questions but as mentioned I am a newbie to all this.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm no expert (I'm a tenter), but YouTube would help you greatly. There are a LOT of videos called things like Caravan Vs Motorhome?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, you just have to decide what's important to you.

A few on here have said sites not allowing twin axle is a myth. But I was just looking up sites in Kerry today and saw on saying no twin axle.

For price of caravan, are you buying new or second hand? I've watched a lot of videos by a guy called Antony Valentine. Even if you're not interested in the type of motorhomes he sells, you can learn what to look out for from his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The primary reason for twin axle caravans or MoHo for that matter is that they can chew the surface up while maneuvering.
    Not for any particular attraction to any ethnic group.
    The self same group tend to go for Hobby caravans as well.

MoHo's will tend to be much more expensive than Caravans because they are subject to VRT unlike a Caravan, however with a Caravan you will also need to tow it with a vehicle that is able to tow and control it which may mean sitting a B+E license and changing the tow vehicle, which is in itself and expensive proposition.

Awnings are great but in Irish conditions their use is marginal due to winds commonly encountered here.

You need to work out what you need and what you want and for a first timer it is not an easy task.
    How many people do you need to sleep?
    Do you want permanent beds or are you happy to make them up every evening?
    There are a million permutations and a van or caravan for most of them.
    If you give some more info it might be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Thanks for the responses. I have never heard the term MoHo, then again I am very new to this. I guess the twin-axle just gives more space? as it is longer?

It would be 2 adults and 4 children. Preference is the double bed is fixed.
    Would like to take bikes with us, potentially on the back?

Really plan is family holidays, loads of trips down along the coast, kids are sporty, I kind of do surfing(badly) but also diving etc. Have SUV to pull so that is not an issue and can pull.

My thought is awning would give the space outside and just use the interior for sleeping/storage etc. Eat food etc in the awning.

Budget, really my max is 8k. Not a huge budget but that would be maxed for everything. I would like to spend about 1k on proper awning so if it doesn't come with caravan then 1k on the caravan. This is all based on looking at awning online new.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Superfoods wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I have never heard the term MoHo, then again I am very new to this. I guess the twin-axle just gives more space? as it is longer?

It would be 2 adults and 4 children. Preference is the double bed is fixed.
    Would like to take bikes with us, potentially on the back?

Really plan is family holidays, loads of trips down along the coast, kids are sporty, I kind of do surfing(badly) but also diving etc. Have SUV to pull so that is not an issue and can pull.

My thought is awning would give the space outside and just use the interior for sleeping/storage etc. Eat food etc in the awning.

Budget, really my max is 8k. Not a huge budget but that would be maxed for everything. I would like to spend about 1k on proper awning so if it doesn't come with caravan then 1k on the caravan. This is all based on looking at awning online new.

Check your licence.
    Going into larger caravans with decent sized tow vehicle and you will need a BE. Maybe you have that already and that’s grand.

It’s done on weights.

The max load capacity of your car plus the max load capacity of the caravan can’t exceed 3500kg for a regular B licence.

You mentioned bikes on the rear of a caravan, that’s a bad load design and can quickly cause stability issues.

We went with a caravan when kids were small as they have more “stuff”. Now they are older were looking into a campervan. As for heading to the shops, now they are older we often do that on bikes anyway just to be out and about.

_Brian wrote: »
    Check your licence.
    Going into larger caravans with decent sized tow vehicle and you will need a BE. Maybe you have that already and that’s grand.

It’s done on weights.

The max load capacity of your car plus the max load capacity of the caravan can’t exceed 3500kg for a regular B licence.

You mentioned bikes on the rear of a caravan, that’s a bad load design and can quickly cause stability issues.

We went with a caravan when kids were small as they have more “stuff”. Now they are older were looking into a campervan. As for heading to the shops, now they are older we often do that on bikes anyway just to be out and about.

Thank you for response.

Ok I have a regular B license. My car weight is circa 2,000kg. So probably better sticking to a single wheel? the car has a max pull capacity of 1500kg I think.

I am not sure how to bring bikes, it is something we would want to do. Are we better trying to transport in the caravan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Thank you for response.

Ok I have a regular B license. My car weight is circa 2,000kg. So probably better sticking to a single wheel? the car has a max pull capacity of 1500kg I think.

I am not sure how to bring bikes, it is something we would want to do. Are we better trying to transport in the caravan?
    You’ll need the BE, the rules can be a bit confusing but essentially pulling anything more than a small car trailer needs BE. People chance it all the time and I know a good few farmers pulling cow boxes and horsey people pulling boxes that don’t have it, but people do get caught. It’s not worth it being worried about a checkpoint each time u haul. Test is a pain in the arse, it’s basically the full test again with a trailer. U have to get a learners permit, take the theory and all that first.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/

Does this mean, I need to make sure the car and caravan is not over the 3500kg?

A category B driving licence authorises you to drive a car, van or 4 x 4 which has a maximum mass (as specified by the manufacturer) of not more than 3,500kg and is designed and constructed to carry no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My parents treated us to the full spectrum of holiday accommodation options when we were children - hotels, b&b, self-catering, small tents, big tents, caravan and motorhome. They eventually settled on a motorhome for the same reason I did: wanderlust! If you're the kind of family that likes stop-and-stay holidays, a caravan is probably the better option: you don't need to buy a second engine if it'll spend all of your holiday parked up. On the other hand, if you get itchy feet once you've been in a place more than a few days and want to move on, then a MH is definitely worth considering.

It's also worth thinking about how your children's sporting/cultural interests will evolve over the next decade (5 years is a really short time-frame!) - a MH makes for a really useful temporary base if you're attending events away from home at the weekend; even more if you (or the children) get involved in anything that moves from one location to another.

We bought ours 15 years ago (2 parents, 4 children) and it still fulfils numerous roles: traditional "holiday" accommodation, picnic HQ for days out, supermarket shopping during heatwaves (no messing about with coolbags, no mad rush to get home to the freezer), home-from-home when I'm working away, festival fan-van, off-piste accommodation for locations (photography excursions, etc.); and very handy for transporting 4m rolls of carpet, 5m joists, pot plants, house-moving boxes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/

A category B driving licence authorises you to drive a car, van or 4 x 4 which has a maximum mass (as specified by the manufacturer) of not more than 3,500kg and is designed and constructed to carry no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. If your car is 2000kg you can tow up to 1500kg and there are plenty of single axle caravans under that weight. I have a six berth that is 1420kg loaded.
    If you do get a caravan, an awning is essential and can give you up to twice as much space. Some people leave their caravan on site for the summer and leave the awning up. Everything is ready to go when they get there on a Friday evening. We did this one year when we knew we could get away most weekends and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So it means the DESIGNED weight of both can’t go over 3500kg

So if your caravan weighs 1300kg but was designed to be 1500kg max then you must use the 1500kg fixture.

Similar your car might weigh 2000kg, but if it’s maximum designed weight is 2500kg you must use 2500kg.

It’s the designed not the actual weight that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So if your caravan weighs 1300kg but was designed to be 1500kg max then you must use the 1500kg fixture.

Similar your car might weigh 2000kg, but if it’s maximum designed weight is 2500kg you must use 2500kg.

Sorry to jump on thread, is that the MTPLM of the caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

bikes inside an old caravan are ok, but there is almost guaranteed damage to the van as things WILL move..... we have 4 bikes that go in the car roof rack.

as to single or twin axle.......

twins are SO much more stable on the road.

Singles are easier to manhandle on the pitch.

I'm disabled so can't haul things around, but then I grew up on a farm and have been driving and reversing trailers for nearly 40 years, so that isn't an issue for me! :)

bikes inside an old caravan are ok, but there is almost guaranteed damage to the van as things WILL move..... we have 4 bikes that go in the car roof rack.

as to single or twin axle.......

twins are SO much more stable on the road.

Singles are easier to manhandle on the pitch.

I'm disabled so can't haul things around, but then I grew up on a farm and have been driving and reversing trailers for nearly 40 years, so that isn't an issue for me! :)

I learned how to reverse a trailer when I was plonked onto a tractor with a full load of silage on the back. No power steering on tractor. A caravan is handy compared to that. The reverse element is not an issue.

My wife has a serious concern now of getting associated with the nomads if we go double axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

we've been twin axle for 6 years.

never had an issue.

so long as you don't have 12 kids in a white transit, you'll be grand!!

How much extra space do you get with twin axle?

OK, have decided on layout. Now to find a caravan. Everyone seems to say bring a damp meter with you. Will this work or need to buy a better one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MY9VCN5?pf_rd_r=DGG7GVV7H0YEZ7M6A2VH&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You should be well able to get a decent caravan for 8k but you will have a hard time getting a campervan for that money, especially this year.

Give the caravan a go, there are plenty of drawbacks but it's definitely cheaper than a campervan. Do you have somewhere to store it?

Don't rely on the damp meter as gospel, things could be dried out but still have evidence of water damage and damp.

Alkers wrote: »
    You should be well able to get a decent caravan for 8k but you will have a hard time getting a campervan for that money, especially this year.

Give the caravan a go, there are plenty of drawbacks but it's definitely cheaper than a campervan. Do you have somewhere to store it?

Don't rely on the damp meter as gospel, things could be dried out but still have evidence of water damage and damp.

I am going caravan. Don't have the budget for a campervan

I think for the layout I want I need to bring up to 10k by the looks of it. My preference would be to get someone to check over the caravan before purchase but not sure if service is available. A damp meter, even thou I don't know how to use might help

OK, have decided on layout. Now to find a caravan. Everyone seems to say bring a damp meter with you. Will this work or need to buy a better one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MY9VCN5?pf_rd_r=DGG7GVV7H0YEZ7M6A2VH&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

That damp meter is only good for testing firewood. I would insist on a professional damp test especially when you are paying that sort of money. It should be done every year as part of the service. I would even suggest getting a service engineer to check it out. I wouldn't let anyone stick those prongs into the wall of my caravan.

db wrote: »
    That damp meter is only good for testing firewood. I would insist on a professional damp test especially when you are paying that sort of money. It should be done every year as part of the service. I would even suggest getting a service engineer to check it out. I wouldn't let anyone stick those prongs into the wall of my caravan.

Any recommendations for engineers that carry out this work? thanks

Do you really have to stick it into the wall to test?

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for engineers that carry out this work? thanks

Do you really have to stick it into the wall to test?

It depends on where you are. If you are looking up north there are a few mobile service guys who would do it. I get my servicing done in Mitchelstown Campers and he has told me that he does it if you were looking in the area.

db wrote: »
    It depends on where you are. If you are looking up north there are a few mobile service guys who would do it. I get my servicing done in Mitchelstown Campers and he has told me that he does it if you were looking in the area.

Buying up North, would you mind sharing the people please? Thanks

Buying up North, would you mind sharing the people please? Thanks
    I haven't used any of them so can't recommend. Join the caravan and Campers Ireland Facebook page and ask for a recommendation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I just sold a caravan with a brand new air awning 11 yrs old and 5 berth for 8k so you may get something for 10k. You will struggle at 8k with the 4 kids if you want a fixed bed but the fixed bed was great.

Anyway, I just wanted to add. I spoke to the NDLS and they told me that people are not being truthful about the categories. For the licence that allows the combined 3500kg, that it supposed to be legally measured if you are stopped with both the car and caravan but also all the extras you intend to tow like the people, bikes , food , clothes but also if you get stopped with a full tank of diesel , you may on paper be under the 3500kg , but if you are weighed with all the it would be hard to be under it.

I challenged here for giggles and she ended up getting a second opinion who did confirm it.

So made my purchase.

Question, I have got a 7 pin connection on the back of my car. The caravan has a 13 pin or needs 2 x 7. This is for the stabilizer. Any idea would it be cheaper to swap the 7 for a 13 or add another 7? Thanks

Advertisement