Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venom (Sony Universe)

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

General public should really hang their head in shame on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

For the rest of my life i will wonder how this movie made that amount of money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

General public should really hang their head in shame on this one.

Ah I think you can blame China sooner than the rest of us; that country has slanted box-office takes for a number of stinkers over the last few years; not to mention essentially maintaining life in the Bay Transformers franchise (I also hold their audience responsible for Terminator Genisys being a bigger success than it deserved to be).

I suspect it's the limited number of allowed Hollywood releases that condenses the potential audience for blockbusters; IIRC there's only about 20 foreign films allowed into China per year, so if true that's always going to ramp up the takings.

As for the rest of the world, who knows. Maybe it was the promise of another darker, adult superhero film perked peoples' interest? Not that the final product was particularly adult mind you; the studio's pawprints were all over the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah I think you can blame China sooner than the rest of us; that country has slanted box-office takes for a number of stinkers over the last few years; not to mention essentially maintaining life in the Bay Transformers franchise (I also hold their audience responsible for Terminator Genisys being a bigger success than it deserved to be).

I suspect it's the limited number of allowed Hollywood releases that condenses the potential audience for blockbusters; IIRC there's only about 20 foreign films allowed into China per year, so if true that's always going to ramp up the takings.

As for the rest of the world, who knows. Maybe it was the promise of another darker, adult superhero film perked peoples' interest? Not that the final product was particularly adult mind you; the studio's pawprints were all over the film.
    I'm starting to feel a bit dubious about this "China box office made such and such" talk. If it was legitimate then there's plenty of dead franchises that would be still alive.

My feeling when films make money like this is that it's getting multiple viewings from specific individuals. Maybe I'm wrong on that score but if I'm right I can't for the life of me understand how people went to see Venom more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I'm starting to feel a bit dubious about this "China box office made such and such" talk. If it was legitimate then there's plenty of dead franchises that would be still alive.

My feeling when films make money like this is that it's getting multiple viewings from specific individuals. Maybe I'm wrong on that score but if I'm right I can't for the life of me understand how people went to see Venom more than once.

Maybe because it was a good fun film with some good humour too. I really enjoyed it when I seen it in the cinema anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The numbers are easy to pull out to examine: Venom did $260 million in China alone, accounting for approx 25% of its total worldwide success. The 'multiple viewings' factor I can't speak to as I have no idea what audience behaviour is like over there - though TBH I really doubt fans going 2+ times accounts for that much in the final take of any movie, regardless of region.

As for dead franchises, well you could look at Terminator Genisys; that film flopped domestically, only to do well in foreign markets - again, thanks to China where it accounted for 25% of all viewings.

Where blockbuster films get a showing in China, they tend to do well and prop up the overall take - presumably by dint of a limited supply of popular, Hollywood blockbuster films available to a thirsty market. According to Variety, the number is 34 as part of current agreements.

It's a huge country, and the second biggest film market, the realities of Chinese box office figures are real and present - there's just not that many films that get into the country (for instance, 2016's Ghostbusters reboot - itself a comparative flop - was banned from China due to strict rules on showing ghosts on film).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I had no interest in a “Spider-Man universe” with no Spider-Man but I watched Venom recently because I have some free rental credits on iTunes and I did enjoy it.

I had heard it was “all over the place”, etc. but I didn’t see anything negative except he fact it had no Spider-Man.

It was good to see Tom Hardy doing something fun and Riz Amed was a great villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Venom 2 Let There Be Carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Me: Ooooh.. Full Screen.. Sits back.. Oh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Venom 2 Let There Be Carnage

*Scrolls back through thread

Sees everyone mentioning Venom 1 trailer nicking the infinity war music*

Ah, so we're stealing the Prometheus horns now I see :D

• Advertisement

Spider-Woman

Olivia Wilde Tapped To Direct Untitled Female-Centered Marvel Movie At Sony
    EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is not only growing its slate of its Universe of Marvel Characters but is building on the female characters at the center of it, and looks to have landed one of the sought female directors in Hollywood. Sources tell Deadline that Olivia Wilde has closed a deal to direct and develop a secret Marvel film project revolving around a female character in the universe. While not confirmed, it is expected that the story will be centered on Spider-Woman.

The film will be penned by Katie Silberman with Amy Pascal producing. Rachel O’Connor will exec produce.

Wilde, Silberman and Pascal already have strong ties and the three are working on a Christmas buddy film at Universal they hope to do prior to this one. Gary Spinelli penned a previous draft of the script.

The Spider-Woman character has actually been the alter ego of several characters in the Spider-Man timeline over the years including Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson and Jessica Drew, who was the first to sport the costume in the late 1970s. Since the concept is being completely revamped by Wilde, it’s unknown the direction the studio will go with her.

The project has been a high priority since the top of the year and Wilde came close to passing on it as her dance card has begun to fill up quite quickly. At the end of the day, the idea of having a chance to launch her own female superhero was too hard to pass up, and she eventually came around to fully committing to the project.

This marks the second film based around a female character in Sony’s universe of Marvel characters to land a director after S.J. Clarkson was tapped to direct a Madame Webb movie. Sony is also developing Black Cat and Silver Sable movies and is clearly making the effort to diversify the universe.

Around the industry, more and more female filmmakers are getting their shot at directing big-budget comic book movies. Nia DaCosta most recently landed the Captain Marvel 2 job at Marvel and along with Wilde and Clarkson will follow in the footsteps of Patty Jenkins, Cathy Yan and Chloe Zhao, the latter who has the upcoming The Eternals.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/olivia-wilde-spider-woman-director-secret-marvel-movie-sony-1203017798/

Sigh.

Imagine what they could do with Jessica Drew triple agenting it up inside the MCU.

Marvel’s ‘Kraven The Hunter’ Movie At Sony Eyes ‘Triple Frontier’s J.C. Chandor As Director
    Even with Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius postponed until 2021, Sony Pictures is continuing to build up its slate of Marvel films. Sources tell Deadline that J.C. Chandor is in talks to direct Sony’s Kraven the Hunter, the latest film to gain momentum in the studio’s Universe of Marvel Characters.

Sony had no comment.

Sony is continuing to build a healthy development slate of Spider-Man characters to rival other studios’ comic book pics currently in development. Besides Venom 2 and Jared Leto’s Morbius, the studio also recently set S.J. Clarkson to direct its untitled Madame Web pic and tapped Marc Guggenheim to write its Jackpot movie. The next installment in the Spider-Man franchise also begins shooting this winter.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/kraven-the-hunter-movie-jc-chandor-director-sony-marvel-1203012135/

Amazon are in talks with Sony to make TV series from with the Marvel controlled characters they have the rights too.

Starting with Silk.

The Sony series are going to Amazon by the looks of it.

Tom Spezialy Inks Overall Deal With Amazon Studios, Joins Marvel Series ‘Silk’ As Showrunner
    Tom Spezialy, coming off a run as an executive producer on HBO’s Emmy-winning limited series Watchmen, has signed an overall deal with Amazon Studios. Under the pact, I hear Spezialy has joined Silk, Sony Pictures Television’s upcoming live-action Marvel series, which reportedly is headed to Amazon’s Prime Video as SVOD distributor. Reps for Amazon and Sony declined comment.

I hear Spezialy will serve as executive producer/showrunner on the series alongside executive producer Lauren Moon, a writer on Sony TV’s Netflix series Atypical, who wrote the Silk TV adaptation based on the Korean-American comic book superhero, created by Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse’s Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who oversee Sony’s suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel characters, executive produce Silk with Spider-Man franchise producer Amy Pascal.

As executive producer of another comic book TV adaptation, Damon Lindelof’s Watchmen, Spezialy shared in the show’s Outstanding Limited Series Emmy Award. He also co-created Starz’s Ash vs Evil Dead and executive produced The Leftovers, Desperate Housewives, Reaper and Dead Like Me. He is repped by Manage-ment and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Silk (aka Cindy Moon) first appeared as a faceless cameo in Marvel Comics’ The Amazing Spider-Man #1 in April 2014. She was part of the new Agents of Atlas team, which debuted in a War of the Realms tie-in and later got their own five-issue limited series. A new Silk ongoing series by writer Maruene Goo and artist Takeshi Miyazawa was set to be published in July 2020 but was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic. It was released in March 2021.

The character has been portrayed by Tiffany Espensen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/tom-spezialy-overall-deal-amazon-studios-silk-marvel-series-showrunner-spinderman-spinoff-1234777807/

Dakota Johnson to play Madame Web

‘Madame Web’: Dakota Johnson Tapped To Play First Female Superhero In Sony Pictures’ Universe Of Marvel Characters

Following the massive success of Spider-Man: No Way Home, Sony is looking to to expand on its universe of Marvel characters as sources tell Deadline that Dakota Johnson is in talks to star in the studio’s Madame Web movie. S.J. Clarkson is on board to direct the pic. Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless penned the screenplay.

In the comics, Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains. For that reason, sources have stressed it’s possible the project could turn into something else. Insiders say due to her psychic sensory powers, she is essentially Sony’s version of Doctor Strange........

I guess if you're going full multiverse, it makes sense to have a madame web...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'm guessing they will go with Julia Carpenter instead of the first Madam Web

I haven't read any of her Web stuff. I was extremely fond of her when she was in the Avengers West Coast though. I remember reading an editorial saying she was a surprise breakout hit of a character for them.

Suddenly vanished though, I get the feeling the was a lot of Jessica Drew fans running Marvel who felt Julia was eating her lunch.

Her costume predated Venom/ the black Spidey costume by a few months, I also get the feeling it might have sent the art direction for Spidey down an entire rabbit hole for decades...

Kraven the Hunter will be released on October 6th 2023

An untitled Sony/Marvel fim will be released on July 12th 2024.

• Advertisement

Silk: Spider Society 

‘Spider-Man’ Spin-Off Series ‘Silk’ Lands Order At MGM+ & Amazon With Angela Kang As Showrunner; Forms Part Of Suite Of Marvel Series From Sony TV

A slew Marvel characters are heading to the small screen after MGM+, the linear network formerly known as Epix, and Amazon Prime Video ordered a suite of live-action series from Sony Pictures Television.

Spider-Man spin-off series Silk: Spider Society, which has been in the works for some time, will be the first show to emerge from the pact with The Walking Dead’s Angela Kang set as showrunner.

The deal is a culmination of a complex web of rights that meant the series will have to debut first on a linear network, in this case MGM+, which is set to be relaunched with its new name in January. MGM+ will have the first window in the U.S. and the series will then air on Amazon’s Prime Video streaming service in the States. Internationally, the series will also air on the Amazon streamer in 240 countries and territories......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah it kind of looks like the scenes with them in their costumes are just going to be set in a future that the villain is trying to prevent from happening in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Advertisement