Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Doch" und "Noch"

• 10-09-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Konnen irgendjemanden bitte ubersetzen? Ich verstehe "Doch" und "Noch" nicht.

Right, I think I'll stick to English. So, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the usage of those two words. According to my dictionary, sie sind "Schlussellworter" but the definitions are a little confusing. Could anyone help me out with the meaning and context in which they're used? They crop up a lot and seem like good words to slip into sentences to sound more fluent, etc.
    Vielen Dank!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Konnen irgendjemanden bitte ubersetzen? Ich verstehe "Doch" und "Noch" nicht.

Right, I think I'll stick to English. So, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the usage of those two words. According to my dictionary, sie sind "Schlussellworter" but the definitions are a little confusing. Could anyone help me out with the meaning and context in which they're used? They crop up a lot and seem like good words to slip into sentences to sound more fluent, etc.
    Vielen Dank!
    Okay, here goes my attempt:

Doch is used to emphasise a statement. I can think of two ways right now. If you have a childish argument that goes something like "No!" - "Yes!" - "No!!" - "Yes!!" ;) , then in Germany that same argument would be "Nein!" - "Doch!" - "Nein!!" - "Doch!!". Then there is something like "But that's nice!" in response to someone making a remark that indicates the opposite. There you would say "Aber das ist doch nett!"

Noch has a different meaning entirely. It can mean yet, still, and even:

Er ist noch nicht da - He is not here yet.
    Ich warte noch - I'm still waiting.
    Das ist noch kleiner - That is even smaller.

Just from the top of my head. There is probably more to it, but this may help?

Advertisement