Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Crystal

• 24-10-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

This man is a great writer on the topic of Linguistics.

Has anyone read any of his books?

I have just bought this one.

How Language Works

And I picked this one up a couple of years ago.

The Stories of English

The second one is brilliant, easy to read and understand, but in-depth at the same time.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language by Crystal is a great all-around linguistic resource. However, for more specific areas of study, other authors are more suitable.

I haven't read either of the two books mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

His book "Language Death" is very interesting. Fightening to think of the wealth of linguistic richness that will almost inevitably be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

He's been on BBC Radio Four quite often, on programmes like Word of Mouth and he sometimes gives lectures for the British Council. There's a French lady linguist you might be interested in reading who does similar work here in France and her name is Henriette Walter - she's written a very successful paperback called - Honni soit qui mal y pense - about how close English is to French.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Aard wrote: »
    The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language by Crystal is a great all-around linguistic resource.

I found that to be a very enjoyable read; I'd recommend it to anyone interested in language.

He used to do a series on the BBC called "Keep Your English Up To Date", aimed at ESL students. Again, it was very interesting, but unfortunately he speaks far too fast. Most of my students simply couldn't follow him, even with the transcript.

Advertisement