Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing driveway/ front entrance planning required?

• 21-04-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

We live on a main road (I.e. not housing estate) , its a r road. At the moment we have space to pull one car in,just about, and it's not great. This is parallel to the road, as such ,so more like a lay by than drive way and so there would be no reversing out for example.
    I wanted to widen that space for 2 or 3 cars to pull in. Do I need planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

I'm going to say yes.

In the P&D Regs Article 9(1)(ii) "Restrictions on Exemption" states Development to which article 6 relates shall not be exempt development for the purposes of the act if the carrying out of such development would consist of or compose the formation, laying out or material widening of a means of access to a public road the surfaced carriageway of which exceeds 4 metres in width.

I can't see any regional road be less than 4m in width.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to get clarity:

Are you saying that you want to make the gateway/entrance to your property big enough to fit 2 or 3 cars in, or that you want to pave more of your front garden so that you can fit more cars on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

seamus wrote: »
    Just to get clarity:

Are you saying that you want to make the gateway/entrance to your property big enough to fit 2 or 3 cars in, or that you want to pave more of your front garden so that you can fit more cars on it?

A bit of both. We are urban, but you know rural properties where they have a stone wall and gates, and then in front of that wall amd gate, basically on the roadside, the area is tarmacadam- sometimes they have large boulders on it to stop people parking there.
    Well I want to "widen my tarmac "

Like these attached pics so at the moment there is grass (and it's raised so couldn't park on the grass) and I want to dig out the grass and tarmac it so more cars can pull in off the road. I.e. widen the current lay-by.

Road is definitely more than 4m -thete are even two small cycle lanes either side.

This is what I mean. Bear in mind the grass is not flat, its sloped currently, so you couldn't park on it as is.
    Also, the previous owner widened it to take one car; before that it was only a pedestrian entrance the width of the gate

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You will not be allowed any situation where parked cars have to reverse onto a region road when leaving your site.

They should be able to completely turn within your site and drive out

• Advertisement

There won't be reversing. Pull it, pull out. Like a motorway layby. That's what we do now, albeit with only the one car.
    The area in front of the walls is not deep enough to be able to park a car perpendicular to the road. They can only pull in parallel- so it's drive in and drive out the same direction

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning required to widen or alter a vehicular entrance n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Gumbo wrote: »
    Planning required to widen or alter a vehicular entrance n

It appears to me this is not a vehicular entrance. The question is whether OP has any right to do anything with a roadside verge outside his front wall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

crossman47 wrote: »
    It appears to me this is not a vehicular entrance. The question is whether OP has any right to do anything with a roadside verge outside his front wall.

Just noticed that now sorry.
    It comes down to who owns the grass verge now.

That is the question! The verge has always been cut by us and by previous owners. When we asked council to cut the grass on it, we were informally told that they wouldn't as it wasn't public property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That is the question! The verge has always been cut by us and by previous owners. When we asked council to cut the grass on it, we were informally told that they wouldn't as it wasn't public property.
    Councils will often fob people off like that.

You could check the land registry to see if it actually does form part of your property.

Advertisement