Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hes mad, isnt he. Hes like some regular in the pub who has decided hes a poet or something. Or a medieval kings advisor the way he tries to blow smoke up the audience's hole.

He used to really bother me but I kinda just laugh now.

Marcotti was another one, on today's show. When he hosted the times football podcast around 2008/2009. It was like listening to a 14 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Loving the 3 football pods in a row. My heart did sink a little when I heard Marcotti was on today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Marcotti knows his onions when it comes to off the field football politics matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Usually can't stand him, but he wasn't too irritating today.
    Did his voice sound different to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Sid Lowe doesn’t really work as a guest cause he tries to play the Ken role. Nobody puts Ken in the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm going to have to listen I guess, just so I can hear how far he's gone up his own rectum by now. Even though I couldn't stand listening to Graham Hunter back in the day and I'm not the least bit sad he's never heard from on SC. I think he just stuck around contributing to OTB while the boys were trying to get their act together. They are intelligent men, I'm sure they're well aware that he is a pompous arse.

Oddly I was going to listen to OTB am today, because I was sure last night Joe Molloy said Andrew Mangan would be on it. Saw Hunter in the description and thought f*** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What was the gist of the Hunter - Harris debate this morning? (I'd prefer not to have to actually listen to Graham Hunter :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

healy1835 wrote: »
    What was the gist of the Hunter - Harris debate this morning? (I'd prefer not to have to actually listen to Graham Hunter :))

Something about European leagues not being competitive. Hunter was claiming Harris said that.... it got very intense.... I don’t think Ghrame is able to share a mic, he doesn’t play well with others.... he is usually just allowed to pontificate solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Marcotti isn't too bad when he's not hosting.

Listened to far too many football podcasts this week on the esl.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

He really is an odd character. Is there a reason why he is never on second captains ?

He's the ****s. He singlehandedly gets me to switch off OTB every time I hear him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Does Simon Hick do any other media work? I don’t give a **** about rugby but find Hick really interesting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Does Simon Hick do any other media work? I don’t give a **** about rugby but find Hick really interesting to listen to.
    Only other thing I'm aware of is an occasional article in the Irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Writes for The Currency I think

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Hes mad, isnt he. Hes like some regular in the pub who has decided hes a poet or something. Or a medieval kings advisor the way he tries to blow smoke up the audience's hole.

HaHa, spot on!

I had the misfortune to hear a podcast where he described a "life changing event" which sent him to Spain to document football there, it seems the importance of which only he can truly appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Just look at the image he has for his podcast, says it all really

avatars-000145420493-o7xtri-t240x240.jpg

Ah for f-

Been saving yesterday's pod after thr ESL collapse for walking the dogs today, and it's Marcotti AND Miguel.

Talk about a gut punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah for f-

Been saving yesterday's pod after thr ESL collapse for walking the dogs today, and it's Marcotti AND Miguel.

Talk about a gut punch.

It's a good podcast. I enjoyed the contributions of both Miguel and Marcotti. Ken was very funny at times and Murph had his moments.

The audio of Josh Kroenke has me laughing my arse off here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Marcotti wasn't bad yesterday, to be fair to him.

Yeah, it is a good pod, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Nokotan wrote: »
    Just look at the image he has for his podcast, says it all really

avatars-000145420493-o7xtri-t240x240.jpg

I remember he did a zoom call with OFTB AM wearing sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

His big interview pod; Jesus, he had Phil Neville and Matt le Tissier on it (separately) and spent half the fcuking interview talking about their cricket “careers”. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Arghus wrote: »
    Marcotti wasn't bad yesterday, to be fair to him.

Yeah he wasn't on the marcotti scale but he went full blown when he struck down ken about boris getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

healy1835 wrote: »

Might listen to this as I hate both of them. Might get some perverse enjoyment from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I enjoyed Marcotti yesterday. And normally I find him a hard listen.

Nobody needs two doses of MD in a single week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just finishing the Trimble/McConville podcast. Interesting stuff, I like these sorts of pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

dulpit wrote: »
    Just finishing the Trimble/McConville podcast. Interesting stuff, I like these sorts of pods.

Yeah, really enjoyed it.

When I initially listened to McConville on any radio/podcast it was hard to get past the accent & voice - he sounds pretty dour in fairness! But have come around to him big time. He's a really interesting guy and not quite as dour as his tone & inflection would suggest.

Also on Trimble, whilst he was playing, and having seen a few videos of him chatting religion, I just assumed he was a very stoic and boring religious guy but he's a very funny & likeable guy.

Have listened to a bit of his Potholes & Penguins podcast with Barry Murphy. It's pretty good, they had some good interviews over the 6Nations. Last few have been pants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

8 minutes into today's pod...Ken talking about whiskey and surely threw in a dig at Ewan McKenna "stay up for the next 3 hours, writing and then deleting tweets"

I was chuckling away at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah, really enjoyed it.

When I initially listened to McConville on any radio/podcast it was hard to get past the accent & voice - he sounds pretty dour in fairness! But have come around to him big time. He's a really interesting guy and not quite as dour as his tone & inflection would suggest.

Also on Trimble, whilst he was playing, and having seen a few videos of him chatting religion, I just assumed he was a very stoic and boring religious guy but he's a very funny & likeable guy.

Have listened to a bit of his Potholes & Penguins podcast with Barry Murphy. It's pretty good, they had some good interviews over the 6Nations. Last few have been pants though.
    anybody know why Trimble and Murphy left the house of rugby/ joe.ie podcast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

anybody know why Trimble and Murphy left the house of rugby/ joe.ie podcast?

Joe are bust so I'd imagine that's why. Dion Fanning gone from them too

Advertisement