Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Ski Resort

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Speedline wrote: »
    Wasn't, or isn't there an artificial ski slope in Wicklow somewhere? I remember it a long time ago on the way to Wexford, pre motorway and bypass times. I'm almost sure it was near Enniskerry somewhere.

Kiltiernan ? Went there before my first ever ski holiday. My very first time on skis and if I hadn’t booked already it would have put me off. Would be different now that I can ski, but falling on that stuff ain’t nice. It bloody hurts.

Having serious ski withdrawal this year. Would be great if we could ski here, but I can’t see it being feasible in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭mcburns07

trashcan wrote: »

Kiltiernan ? Went there before my first ever ski holiday. My very first time on skis and if I hadn’t booked already it would have put me off. Would be different now that I can ski, but falling on that stuff ain’t nice. It bloody hurts.

Having serious ski withdrawal this year. Would be great if we could ski here, but I can’t see it being feasible in any shape or form.

Went there for a refresher a few years ago after 10 years out of the game, I had been snowboarding previously a fair bit while living in France on Erasmus. Caught an edge and almost broke my tailbone. It’s like falling on concrete. Luckily I was recovered for my snowboarding holiday in Canada the following week, real snow is much more forgiving both of technique and when falling on it! Hopefully get back out there next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

In terms of terrain, the slopes down to Lough Tay and Luggala are just about ideal as nice boarder pic above shows. Been down a few times left of the gate. Hard slog back up but worth it. There's some excellent stuff on youtube from 2010 ad 2018 I think. I've also been down the 11th fairway in Delgany golf club which is a blue run but way better than golf.
    Problem with most of the Wicklow Mts is pitch. Apart from a few spots, the only places steep enough are cliffs or scree.
    Kilternan SC is still running.
    There was talk (maybe even planning application?) for huge indoor ski centre near Newtownmountkenedy at the height of the tiger
    09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lip Out wrote: »
    I have done a fair bit of snowboarding and skiing on the Wicklow Mountains over the years. Lug would probably be best in terms of the amount of days it has snow cover each year. Here are two photos from back in January 2010 up by Luggala and at the carpark for Djouce. And no... thankfully that car was not mine and yes, it did remain there snowed in for several weeks.

543337.jpg

543338.jpg

Was up there that time myself, unfortunately my photos don't do it the justice yours do.
    I remember that freelander well, had never realised some of them were only 2wd.

It was one of most surreal times snowboarding, sitting on the hill, looking at lough tay, blue skies, absolute peace and just floating on Irish powder.
    You could probably count on 2 hands the amount of people up there and remember we were saying the rest of the country could have been falling apart and we wouldn't have been the wiser, absolute heaven.

On another occasion think 2013, myself and my brother hiked as far as white hill and boarded back to Ballinastoe carpack but snow cover was less than ideal and compacted hardpack once back on the fire roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Speedline wrote: »
    Wasn't, or isn't there an artificial ski slope in Wicklow somewhere? I remember it a long time ago on the way to Wexford, pre motorway and bypass times. I'm almost sure it was near Enniskerry somewhere.

We went up there once and it was closed because of snow!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Lip Out wrote: »
    I have done a fair bit of snowboarding and skiing on the Wicklow Mountains over the years. Lug would probably be best in terms of the amount of days it has snow cover each year. Here are two photos from back in January 2010 up by Luggala and at the carpark for Djouce. And no... thankfully that car was not mine and yes, it did remain there snowed in for several weeks.

543337.jpg

543338.jpg

Incredible photos if only it was like that every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's theoretically possible to create one, but it would need low temperatures combined with low-ish air humidity. The rest would be up to snow cannons and huge pile of money. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmaking#Snowmaking_guns

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

arctictree wrote: »
    We went up there once and it was closed because of snow!

Now that’s irony Alanis Morissette :D. Reminds me of the time during the heavy snow here a few years ago when we were flying out on the Saturday morning to Austria. It was touch and go as to whether we’d get away at all. Five hour delay at the airport, but we made it thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blindsider

skiclub.ie has the details of the slope in Kiltegan.

Some deluded individual decided to put a mini slope in the Glen Resource Centre in Cork. Cost a fortune AFAIR and any time I called them in the past 5 yrs, they had no qualified instructor so the slope was closed for skiiing/boarding.

They got creative to hide their error, and it's now a 'snow-tubing' slope:rolleyes:

This one https://www.norfolksnowsports.com/ is in Norfolk UK - not exactly the biggest place in the world but look at the facility.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

https://flic.kr/p/7HRTsy
    I've skied on the Northern gullies of kippure (757m) before and also on tonlagee (800m) at the wicklow gap.
    Both are accessible by road and reasonably high altitude.
    The kippure gullies had skiable snow for over 3 months in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

blindsider wrote: »
    skiclub.ie has the details of the slope in Kiltegan.

Some deluded individual decided to put a mini slope in the Glen Resource Centre in Cork. Cost a fortune AFAIR and any time I called them in the past 5 yrs, they had no qualified instructor so the slope was closed for skiiing/boarding.

They got creative to hide their error, and it's now a 'snow-tubing' slope:rolleyes:

This one https://www.norfolksnowsports.com/ is in Norfolk UK - not exactly the biggest place in the world but look at the facility.......

Brought my 8 year old kid to the Glen to ski before his first ski trip about 5 years ago. But you are right, rarely open since (I play 5 aside there so regularly scout this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There were plans to build an indoor ski resort in Newtownmountkennedy many years ago.

Advertisement