Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good IPad for work?

• 24-01-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I’m self employed and am thinking about getting an iPad for very basic stuff. Just using it as a tool to show people quotations and some basic information/graphs etc.

What exactly is the difference between paying a couple of hundred versus nearly a grand? I don’t mind investing in this product but I don’t want to spend a fortune just so I have a newer product that doesn’t actually do anymore then an older one.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is a very useful comparison tool on the apple website for the iPads. You can see at a glance all the differences in screen, processor etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The main difference, if you aren't looking for a lot of processing power, is screen size and the ability to use the apple pencil. I think the new iPad Air works with the old pencil though, otherwise you need one of the iPad Pro series. The pencil is great for sketching things out and writing notes or annotating drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    The main difference, if you aren't looking for a lot of processing power, is screen size and the ability to use the apple pencil. I think the new iPad Air works with the old pencil though, otherwise you need one of the iPad Pro series. The pencil is great for sketching things out and writing notes or annotating drawings.

Actually all ipads that you buy new from Apple (ie current makes) will work with an apple pencil. The Pro versions work with Apple Pencil 2, the rest with first gen.

I have a regular iPad for college, bought 2 years ago so the first one that wasn't Pro that worked with the pencil. Honestly it's great. It works perfectly for taking written notes and drawing with the Pencil, and I have mine paired with a decent keyboard case so it works like a mini laptop. Battery has held up great over that time, I still get almost a full day in college, taking notes, reading etc.

Most of the reviews online that compare the different models come up with the conclusion that for most people the Pro models are overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can anybody advise if the following is a decent iPad and if there are any real pitfalls or downsides to buying this

Apple iPad (10.2-inch, Wi-Fi, 32GB) - Space Grey (Latest Model) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XSGB1GD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YCznEbT9VSVKK

I might buy the one with the bigger GB and may but one of those apple pencils (if I’m going to get into customers signing online forms). But I’m not sure why I should consider shelling out an extra 800 or so euro for a newer model, would anybody have any advice or information on what I’m not getting (except maybe screen size) by not buying a newer model?

I was also looking at :

Apple iPad Air (10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, 256GB) - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NHQK6TK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l3znEbFSE959C

What’s the benefit of one over the other?
    Also WiFi with connectivity (presume this means you can buy a sim)
    For extra 100e, is there much benefit to getting this? Can’t you just connect your iPad to your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

https://www.apple.com/ie/ipad/compare/

Use that to see the differences.

I recently bought the new iPad (2019) in Powercity for 379. I upgraded from the original iPad Air and it’s a different world with it.

Comparison review -
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ipad-vs-ipad-air%3famp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I have been using a 12.9" Pro with the smart keyboard for a good while now and it has almost replaced my MacBook Pro ..

If you want to just use the iPad to show people stuff it would be over kill but when it more or less replaces the laptop for most work it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

whippet wrote: »
    I have been using a 12.9" Pro with the smart keyboard for a good while now and it has almost replaced my MacBook Pro ..

If you want to just use the iPad to show people stuff it would be over kill but when it more or less replaces the laptop for most work it's worth it

Thanks, do you get the option to put in a sim?

Can’t Ipads be connected to WiFi and your own mobile phone (personal hotspot)? I’m genuinely not sure what scenario I would require this option (pay extra for the option and monthly for a sim), but would be interested in hearing from anybody who finds it beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I just use the hotspot on my phone .. it connects automatically to the iPhone when there is no WiFi available and it’s seem less

Advertisement