Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I believe we can and will beat New Zealand next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think we have a chance. I may be wrong. If Sexton and Murray are on form and we can instill our gameplan, I think we can win

If it's pissing raining, I like our chances even more. The selection will be crucial. I would stick with Beirne at 6 and dump Kleyn. Put Pom and Ruddock on the bench.
    The midfield pairing is going to be Ringrose and Henshaw. Hopefully, Henshaw improves on his last performance.
    I'd start Conway and Larmour. Larmour has improved dramatically, imo and his attacking is incredible.
    Hope I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

NZ to get a red card in the first 20 for a shoulder to the head. Ireland to win by more than a converted try!

COYBIG!

Refs don't give red to NZ. It's somewhere in the IRB code, in the same section about all teams genuflecting and kowtowing for the haka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Really can't wait until this match next week. F*ck the negativity!

I think we've a genuine chance of making history with a win next weekend and would say NZ would have much preferred to avoid us this early.

We're 2 from 4 against them under Joe. Would be great to make that 3 from 5 in the most important game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Niallof9 wrote: »
    But we did the exact same thing in multiple games. Japan for instance

Oh yeah sorry I forgot we have hidden moves we will see them next week hopefully
    That’s true. Hopefully we have the game of our lives. Can’t change our style now
    Nah was referring to the test in Hamilton in June of that year! Thankfully I don’t think that can happen with a Schmidt team although twickers recently

For all the love of Japan this is New Zealand style rugby set by two of world rugby’s finest brains. It could get bloody in these conditions and in our form and I’ll be sickened. I hope we can do it. Need the best week of prep ever and we need to double down on our usual narrow style
    The negativity around here these days is just so tedious.

We may lose... but what an opportunity. The lads have a shot at knocking the world champions out of the competition.

Yeah, our chances of getting to a semi-final would've been higher if we were facing South Africa.

But **** it. This is a shot at making some real history. It doesn't get much more exciting than this.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with anything negative Niall has to say about Irish rugby. I’m quite optimistic going into next week. Think we can put it up to NZ. It’s a big ask and if we lose to them it’ll be no shame, but I think we might surprise a lot of people and put them under huge pressure and hopefully sneak a win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

clsmooth wrote: »
    I wouldn’t necessarily agree with anything negative Niall has to say about Irish rugby. I’m quite optimistic going into next week. Think we can put it up to NZ. It’s a big ask and if we lose to them it’ll be no shame, but I think we might surprise a lot of people and put them under huge pressure and hopefully sneak a win.

That’s fair enough everything is smooth sailing. I can’t wait for the game myself. We are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

That’s fair enough everything is smooth sailing. I can’t wait for the game myself. We are where we are.

That’s the spirit! Great to hear a bit of positivity from you! Doesn’t it feel good?! Hopefully we’ll be celebrating next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I believe we can and will beat New Zealand next week.

Like i believe i can land on the moon eventhough i will never land there. Not a hope in hell will we win next Saturday against NZ. We dont stand a chance. We are going home lads. Enjoy the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

teednab-el wrote: »
    Like i believe il can land on the moon eventhough i will never land there. Not a hope in hell will we win next Saturday against NZ. We dont stand a chance. We are going home lads. Enjoy the last week.

Like I believe you can spell.

The negativity around here these days is just so tedious.

We may lose... but what an opportunity. The lads have a shot at knocking the world champions out of the competition.

Yeah, our chances of getting to a semi-final would've been higher if we were facing South Africa.

But **** it. This is a shot at making some real history. It doesn't get much more exciting than this.

We won't beat New Zealand lads. Stop getting ahead of ourselves. Realistically we havent a hope.

• Advertisement

We can get the first score, I'd be confident of a tight game. We're no mugs with a lead, Japan game notwithstanding. I doubt NZ are particularly happy about having to play us. Joe has probably built this team with beating NZ in mind.

They know they will beat and hammer us. In NZ rugby is a religion. They will destroy us.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Like I believed you can spell.

You are a good man for spelling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

You are a good man for spelling :rolleyes:

Quoting my post and changing it to look like I made a mistake - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I dunno why you bother responding lads, just giving them the attention they want.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Quoting my post and changing it to look like I made a mistake - lol

You corrected it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

You corrected it. lol

You still upset over the people not giving you wedding gifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

NZ to get a red card in the first 20 for a shoulder to the head. Ireland to win by more than a converted try!

COYBIG!

Not sure about that, but with the current laws and their implementation there's a very good chance that a red card is going to have a huge impact on at least one knock out game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Joking aside, I hope there are no red cards, win or lose, I want a game to wipe away the memories of the last two 1/4 finals, with at least a heroic performance, I will be thrilled with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We won't beat New Zealand lads. Stop getting ahead of ourselves. Realistically we havent a hope.

I remember sitting in plane on way to Chicago.....2-3 podcast I had to turn them off....not losing by 10 was the best we could hope for.....most expected a hammering and maybe we could do something in Aviva in next game

Met the NZ team and they where full of confidence.....let’s just say the rest is history......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How you think Larmour went yesterday?

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    You still upset over the people not giving you wedding gifts?

I be more upset seeing Ireland lose to be honest

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I remember sitting in plane on way to Chicago.....2-3 podcast I had to turn them off....not losing by 10 was the best we could hope for.....most expected a hammering and maybe we could do something in Aviva in next game

Met the NZ team and they where full of confidence.....let’s just say the rest is history......

Hope you are right. I would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Joking aside, I hope there are no red cards, win or lose, I want a game to wipe away the memories of the last two 1/4 finals, with at least a heroic performance, I will be thrilled with that.

Being thrilled with a losing performance....nah

I could take bring proud of the team, but I definitely won't be thrilled with any kind of loss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

From BBC, on Aki:

The centre's fate will be decided at a hearing in Tokyo on Monday (11:30 BST) following his straight red card for a tackle direct to the head of Samoan fly-half Ulupano Seuteni.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shot to nothing scenario which is where Ireland tend to thrive. This All Blacks side is nowhere near vintage. They are capable of capitalizing on mistakes which works wonders against a side like SA showing their hand after a quarter of the game. Against a disciplined rigorous side like Ireland the breaks shouldn't be so forthcoming.

Schmidt is the most intelligent coach in world rugby and he has flushed NZ twice in recent years. If he pulled it off for a third time I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Aidric wrote: »
    Shot to nothing scenario which is where Ireland tend to thrive. This All Blacks side is nowhere near vintage. They are capable of capitalizing on mistakes which works wonders against a side like SA showing their hand after a quarter of the game. Against a disciplined rigorous side like Ireland the breaks shouldn't be so forthcoming.

Schmidt is the most intelligent coach in world rugby and he has flushed NZ twice in recent years. If he pulled it off for a third time I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Schmidt WAS the most intelligent coach in world rugby.....to say otherwise is fooling yourself. 2019 has been shocking in terms of inability to innovate once it became apparent his tactics had been found out

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Schmidt WAS the most intelligent coach in world rugby.....to say otherwise is fooling yourself. 2019 has been shocking in terms of inability to innovate once it became apparent his tactics had been found out

Wouldn't be the first time he's been supposedly "found out" and brought the team back to the top.

inability to innovate once it became apparent his tactics had been found out

Seems pretty obvious. Out of interest, in your opinion - which tactics were found out and what specifically have teams done to manage them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Found out by who and when did it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Since the pools have come out it was signposted that if we got a qf we would play either SA or NZ. Why show them your game plan in the pool stages? Don't think it's a case of flipping a switch for good performance, but building momentum and with right tactics who knows

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement