Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Addiction - are all of the studies flawed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I would think it was to avoid the removal of the (not very noticeable) high. Perhaps smokers grow so accustomed they see their nicotinated state as "normal".

Don't take this too seriously but, are you calling me a liar :D?

Most natural highs are not strong enough to be overtly noticeable.But they still affect our behaviour. The same goes for nicotine.

He's not.
    It doesn't take long before there is no high at all from it. There may be initially, even more so with smoking/inhalation due to monoxides causing oxygen deprivation euphoria.

There is only the relief from the withdrawal symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Everyone seems to be focusing on physical addiction here. The mental addiction which is the coping mechanism of most very serious addicts is the parts that destroys lives.
    People get over the physical addictions, but end up going right back on it to cover whatever is wrong with their life. I wish there were a lot less focus on physical addictions and more focus on the reason why a specific addict is an addict.
    Painkillers (opiates specifically) are a perfect example. Some people say they are less addictive when pure. Bull****. They are less physcially addictive by a small factor, but they still numb both physical and mental pain.
    Physical pain heals by itself, the body manages that mental pain does not. You have to find the reason behind why someone has to numb the pain in their head before you can stop them medicating themselves constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

v

Don't take this too seriously but, are you calling me a liar :D?

:D not at all - what you experienced was exactly what I experienced. The difference is, you weren't dumb enough to keep going past that. Wattys exactly right, I would imagine the euphoric effect has gone before you finish your first pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

watty wrote: »
    Why are you so determined to promote EXTRA proven dangerous substances. Of what value is it other than self-indulgence? What advantages can possibly out weigh the disadvantages. We are having enough difficulty with over indulgence (either too much in one go, or too often) of Alcohol and reducing Smoking without adding more problems.
    I'm not promoting anything.

I think it's interesting that the risks of many drugs are overstated. I find it interesting to discuss them.

I have absolutely no intention of trying to paint heroin, in the current state of our country and its drug laws, in a positive, healthy light.

However, in general I find drugs to be a fascinating aspect of the human experience. Outright demonizing them is not the way forward.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that people take Heroin to induce pleasant sensations?
    If not, please clarify that, because as your comments stands, they are not at all clear.
    Well, what you quoted was referring to drugs in general. But yes, I do think people take heroin to induce pleasant sensations, that's sort of the idea.....

(It might be a way to escape from the pains of life etc. in some people, but it's the pleasant sensations that facilitate this).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

JC 2K3 wrote: »

I think it's interesting that the risks of many drugs are overstated. I find it interesting to discuss them.

I have absolutely no intention of trying to paint heroin, in the current state of our country and its drug laws, in a positive, healthy light.

However, in general I find drugs to be a fascinating aspect of the human experience. Outright demonizing them is not the way forward.

Considering you don't view over dosing or addiction as two of the main dangers of heroine use, it's not surprising you feel the dangers are over stated.

That's not what I said. Read the fcuking thread.

I looks to me that's what you were saying.

You make some Interesting observations here about how Interesting you find "recreational" drugs
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429452

People take heroin in the beginning for very many reasons. In the end they take it because most can't imagine an alternative. Maybe not all people get from the first stage (where they can stop) to the last stage (where they are addicted). I do believe very few drug addictions are just physical, but more complex. It seems likely that perhaps sometime after the filming accident where his scalp / hair was burnt that Michael Jackson may have developed a Painkiller dependency leading to his death. We may not ever know for sure. But certainly he had a troubled childhood.

But there is also addiction where the person otherwise has not had problems, more physical. Yet even so one person may be rehabilitated and another not. I think the reason for so many studies with varying results is that people vary and it's difficult thus to generalise, other than risking addiction in the first place for sake of self-gratification is not sensible.

I come to the conclusion that ultimately addiction is the result of an overdose of selfishness. I have no papers or studies, just my own impression of human nature. Obviously in physical sense drugs vary in their addictiveness, it not impossible that on a purely physical level that sugar is more addictive than any drug, but inherently if the drug alters the Mind, then the risk on "an" Addiction is there even if not a chemical withdraw reaction and "physical" addiction.

Boston wrote: »
    Considering you don't view over dosing or addiction as two of the main dangers of heroine use, it's not surprising you feel the dangers are over stated.
    I looks to me that's what you were saying.

It's not what he has said. If you read what he has said you would see:
    JC_2K3 wrote:
    So, addictiveness and overdosing aside. What would you see to be the main problems with heroin?

That's as clear as daylight.

Stop the petty bickering.

He attempted to trivialise and marginalise those problems, effectively saying they're no for consideration. Thus he obviously does not consider them serious problems, hence my comment. If he'd like to go back and clarifify his statement he's welcome.

You're assertion that its "clear as daylight." suggest that we should be able to read between the lines of what JC 2k3 wrote. I'd hassard a guess that others also interpreted him comment as I did.

• Advertisement

How can you set aside the issues of Overdosing and Addiction?
    frequent use of phrases such as "many drugs are overstated", "Outright demonizing them is not the way forward.", "But yes, I do think people take heroin to induce pleasant sensations",

The overall impressions of the posts individually and overall is that JC feels dangers are overstated and that other issues than " Overdosing and Addiction" can be discussed about heroin by "setting aside Overdosing and Addiction" which gives the impression that Boston has responded to, the main point being Boston says "it's not surprising you feel the dangers are over stated,"

Which is pretty much a major theme of JC posts.

He attempted to trivialise and marginalise those problems, effectively saying they're no for consideration. Thus he obviously does not consider them serious problems, hence my comment. If he'd like to go back and clarifify his statement he's welcome.

I don't think that he did. He simply asked, apart from addiction and overdosing, what were the main problems people had with heroin. I don't see where he trivialised and marginalised both addiction and overdosing. But again, I'm sure JC will clarify and I may very well be wrong.
    You're assertion that its petty bickering suggest that's that we should be able to read between the lines of what JC 2k3 wrote. I'd hassard a guess that others also interpreted him comment as I did.

I don't think it's reading between the lines, I think it's following the entire thread carefully that gave me my conclusion about that particular statement.

How can you set aside the issues of Overdosing and Addiction?
    frequent use of phrases such as "many drugs are overstated", "Outright demonizing them is not the way forward.", "But yes, I do think people take heroin to induce pleasant sensations",

The overall impressions of the posts individually and overall is that JC feels dangers are overstated and that other issues than " Overdosing and Addiction" can be discussed about heroin by "setting aside Overdosing and Addiction" which gives the impression that Boston has responded to, the main point being Boston says "it's not surprising you feel the dangers are over stated,"

Which is pretty much a major theme of JC posts.

Again, to reiterate, if I follow JC said, I get the impression that he was just trying to introduce a new line of discussion, a new tangent that might have lead the discussion in a different, and perhaps more interesting, direction. Nowhere did he understate the dangers of addiction and overdosing, in my opinion.

But, I can't read his thoughts, so I'll let him clarify himself.

You've entitled to your opinion and if I was asking for moderator intervention yours would carry more weight then mine, but you don't get to stop me challenging someone's posts simply because your opinion differs to mine.

I don't think it's reading between the lines, I think it's following the entire thread carefully that gave me my conclusion about that particular statement.

Two of us have the opposite conclusion.

You've entitled to your opinion and if I was asking for moderator intervention you're would carry more weight then mine, but you don't get to stop me challenging someone's posts simply because your opinion differs to mine.

Of course I don't, but I haven't stopped you challenging his, nor anybody else's, posts. You're free to challenge them all you like. I'm also free to give my view of JC's post in response to what you've said, which I did. It appeared to me that it was petty bickering, though, which is just my opinion.
    watty wrote:
    Two of us have the opposite conclusion.

It would appear so, although I suspect mine to be the correct interpretation. But, we'll wait until JC clarifies.

Anyway, enough of this discussion, let's keep it on topic.

In fact many of JC's posts are capabable of more than one interpretation
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Originally Posted by JC 2K3
    So, addictiveness and overdosing aside. What would you see to be the main problems with heroin?
    Addictiveness and overdosing
    Can I ask why you are so against the use of substances to alter brain chemistry in order to induce pleasant sensations?

Are you suggesting that people take Heroin to induce pleasant sensations?
    If not, please clarify that, because as your comments stands, they are not at all clear.

Is it use of english, or pushing the envelope?

They're the closest thing to "spiritual" that I've ever experienced, although, somewhat paradoxially, they're one of the main things that confirmed to me that "spirituality" and the supernatural don't exist in any conventional sense.

They've been extremely enlightening to me in teaching me how my mind works, and how much more there is to reality than a sober state of mind, how deep our perception really goes etc.

I'm quite firmly of the opinion that they had a very large influence in the development of religion, and that primitive artwork, which is generally associated with early religions, was heavily influenced by their effects (for example, the intricate, spirally patterns in Celtic artwork).

In relation to their use in whatever the modern conventional pursuit of spirituality is though, I don't know because I have little interest in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055622185
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61335312&postcount=28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I come to the conclusion that ultimately addiction is the result of an overdose of selfishness. I have no papers or studies, just my own impression of human nature. Obviously in physical sense drugs vary in their addictiveness, it not impossible that on a purely physical level that sugar is more addictive than any drug, but inherently if the drug alters the Mind, then the risk on "an" Addiction is there even if not a chemical withdraw reaction and "physical" addiction.

you may have no papers or studies but twelve step programs also have this perception - that self centerdness and addiction are very closey related if not the same thing - the phenomenen of an addict putting a drug before anything else, even at the cost of losing limbs in extreme cases - the complete opposite to the survival instinct in humans, and will offer a program to overcome this by creating an environment where addicts help each other

religous groups I believe will see addiction in a similar way - and will offer God as a solution outside of the addicts self centredness

psychiatry on the other hand I believe sees addiction on a completely different wavelength - in some cases treating it with drugs, which would have no effect really as it replaces one issue with another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

He's not.
    It doesn't take long before there is no high at all from it. There may be initially, even more so with smoking/inhalation due to monoxides causing oxygen deprivation euphoria.

There is only the relief from the withdrawal symptoms.

See, I would be inclined to agree with you there, but nicotine seems to actually increase reward system sensitivity.
    http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v31/n6/abs/1300905a.html

Rather i think because the high is so mild to begin with, people can very quickly grow accustomed to it and begin to see that level of highness as normal.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be focusing on physical addiction here. The mental addiction which is the coping mechanism of most very serious addicts is the parts that destroys lives.
    People get over the physical addictions, but end up going right back on it to cover whatever is wrong with their life. I wish there were a lot less focus on physical addictions and more focus on the reason why a specific addict is an addict.

They do?

Afaik withdrawals haven't been mentioned in the last few pages. I was talking about the neuroscience behind the psychological addiction of drugs. Drug affects your reward system and makes you feel good, you enjoy feeling good and seek out the drug again. This is called psychological addiction and is true for every addictive drug from caffeine and alcohol right up to crack and heroin.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "physical addiction".
    Painkillers (opiates specifically) are a perfect example. Some people say they are less addictive when pure. Bull****.

Who ever said that?

Safer, yes. Less addictive, no.

In addition to my last post I just thought I'd like to point out that both alcohol and cannabis are known to cause euphoria by affecting the opiate system in the brain (through increased beta-endorphin release).

Pity I can't link to more readable and interesting articles, but if i did people would demand peer-reviewed journals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Drug affects your reward system and makes you feel good, you enjoy feeling good and seek out the drug again. This is called psychological addiction and is true for every addictive drug from caffeine and alcohol right up to crack and heroin.

Yes, if you want to get into the scientific detail of exactly what drugs do. But it has very little to do with addiction.
    Its very difficult to explain but I know that there are a good few people who are reading this post and know exactly what I mean. You can explain it off in whichever way you want to try to prove you know something about it, but when you have had to watch it happen to someone you get to understand it a little more.

Addiction is simply an easier way to escape from problems than by actually dealing with them. Some people dont even know they have significant issues but feel better when they are medicated, so they associate the feeling with the drug or action (gambling, online etc are included in this). Absolutely no one but the addicted person can help recover from an addiction as it is them that needs to deal with the underlying problem. That is not to say that they dont need background care and support, but dont think you can bring someone back with drugs or severe psychotherapy. That person has to want to.
    I personally dont give a toss about what medicine or science thinks about the reasons for addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Yes, if you want to get into the scientific detail of exactly what drugs do. But it has very little to do with addiction.
    Its very difficult to explain but I know that there are a good few people who are reading this post and know exactly what I mean. You can explain it off in whichever way you want to try to prove you know something about it, but when you have had to watch it happen to someone you get to understand it a little more.

Addiction is simply an easier way to escape from problems than by actually dealing with them. Some people dont even know they have significant issues but feel better when they are medicated, so they associate the feeling with the drug or action (gambling, online etc are included in this). Absolutely no one but the addicted person can help recover from an addiction as it is them that needs to deal with the underlying problem. That is not to say that they dont need background care and support, but dont think you can bring someone back with drugs or severe psychotherapy. That person has to want to.
    I personally dont give a toss about what medicine or science thinks about the reasons for addiction.

Which, ironically, is kind of teh point the article linked to in the OP made :)

I don't entirely dissagree with you. The point I was trying to make is that people think "hard" drugs like heroin have some sort of inherant quality that makes their addiction different from "soft" drugs like cannabis. People think that there's a special type of addiction for "hard" drugs that doesn't exist with "soft" drugs. This is nothing more than stoner propaganda. Obviously heroin is a lot more addictive than cannabis, but people who go on about "physical addiction" being the difference between heroin and cannabis are talking pure shite.

Studies on animals are flawed to begin with because animals are slaves to their emotions in a way that humans are not. We have incredibly well developed brains compared to rats. Over-riding instinct for long-term gain is something which people do on a daily basis. It's what seperates us from animals. Even survival (the most basic instinct of all) is sucessfully over-ridden by the 1million people worldwide who commit suicide each year (most extreme example i could think of).

My original point on the first page was that the "disease theory" of addiction tends to ignore the fact that humans can very easily act independantly of their emotions if they see it as worth it in the long run.
    In general, nowhere near enough attention is drawn to the majority of people who take drugs and don't become addicted. I think it is by looking at these people, and comparing them to the addicted that we could begin to work out a working model of addiction, and probably help an awful lot of people by providing advice on how to avoid it.

And yes, I would assume an awful lot of addicts don't really want to give up, but go along with a half-hearted effort because of pressure from family/friends. If these already-doomed attempts were included in studies it would surely skew the figures.
    One question though. Do you think habitual smokers have underlying problems?

Studies on animals are flawed to begin with because animals are slaves to their emotions in a way that humans are not.

Actually I would see studies on animals being closer related to the true nature of addiction - animals for most part (exlcusion of apes/pack animals) do not have the "social acceptibility" influence that humans can have when using a given drug

it will basically take the drug and behave without outside influence in order to obtain future doses

Sweet fcuking Jesus.
    Addictiveness is not the sole reason to avoid drugs. Nor the main criteria of the damage they cause.

Can anyone honestly say that they think the above dialogue, in anyway, indicates that I think addictiveness and overdosing are minor negative effects from heroin?

In fact, I think they are the most major negative effects from them. What I am asking is are there any other dangers (from the drug itself)? I don't think there are very much.

If disease theory is incorrect, then this means addiction potential can be possibly curbed with regulation, and obviously the risk of overdosing would be greatly reduced too.

The price

If disease theory is incorrect, then this means addiction potential can be possibly curbed with regulation, and obviously the risk of overdosing would be greatly reduced too.

How does that follow?

I can see no useful connection between these three issues.

The risk of overdose depends on the drug and only indirectly it's availability due to regulation, in that illegal/Banned makes it more expensive to get enough to overdose on.

There are various theories about addiction, and some aspects of "disease theory" may be correct in some circumstances, that is not much to do with overdosing nor regulation.

Addiction potential is nothing to do with regulation, but person and type of drug.

Regulation is related to perceived risk to health and minors of materials. There is also a very strong argument that even a Paradise Drug* or Euphoria Machine* with NO physical side effects of health or withdrawal (Mental or Physical) would need careful regulation and only be available to Adults (if at all).

Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of regulation? It's not to be mean and spoil selfish "fun". It's primarily to protect society and secondarily the individual.

Use of "recreational drugs" is a very selfish act. Apart from health risk, regulation (in a non-drugs, general sense) is to protect society from the selfishness and greed of some individuals.

Addiction is a major problem with drugs. Health issues, both direct and indirect (drug driving, operating machinery, 2nd hand passive smoking, effluent contamination) is a major issue. Sometimes these can obscure other issues.

Pro-Drugs lobby tend to try an argue that the "xyz drug" doesn't kill people, or is not so dangerous, or isn't really addictive, or that Education on how to take it is the key, or that if it was purer or legal that the problems would go away or are overstated.

The fact is that Drug users have a distorted view of what is normal and think the problem is that non-drug users are just not educated enough about drugs.

Well maybe some non-users are perfectly educated and just are not so selfish and also want to something more worthwhile with their time.

(* I think future addiction research and research on effects of "recreational drugs" of various kinds of effects, will in fact show that anything with a significant effect will encourage a dependency and greater distortion of judgement to have more time on the "high" of whatever nature, that drug or machine on Mind affecting power can't be without negative consequences).

Robert Sheckley in "Dimension of Miracles" explains this idea better than I ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lets change the direction a little bit.

Imagine, if you will, that heroin was both freely and cheaply available, and 100% safe.

We must also assume, for the purposes of this exercise, that it's impossible to be off your dial and able to carry out basic functions at the same time.

Would people be able to only do a bit of heroin every now and again? Is there an obligation on people to "sacrifice" personal pleasure, in order to ensure that society continues to function? Or would everybody just be a selfish ...person.. and spend all day in their houses, nodding on their beanbags. I think that's the real danger of heroin, outside of the physical elements., and probably a reason, albeit not a major one, that it continues to be illegal.

• Advertisement

You've read "Dimensions of Miracles" too? I think, tbh, this is part of what I'm trying to say.

It's intellectually dishonest for pro or anti-drug people to over or understate risks etc. But ultimately that's only one aspect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement