Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to replace the couch and blinds

Comments

awec wrote: »
    It's not subjective. The blinds have holes in them and the couch is literally falling apart.

In fairness structurally the couch is fine its just the finish thats cracking so hardly falling apart.

A cheap solution if the op doesn't want to bother the landlord is to get some throws and cover the couch with them thus hiding the cracking. I've seen people with similar damage to their couch opt for throws rather than get a new one (when they owned the couch).

Personally speaking I would be very very slow to contact a LL if I was paying below market rent as there is a very real risk of an increase.
    kippy wrote: »
    I'd doubt very much the landlord would baulk at replacing them.

The risk of a rent increase rather than if the LL would replace them or not would be my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

pwurple wrote: »
    Blinds will most likely form part of fixtures and fittings listing (check your lease) which means they are the landlords property. If you are replacing them, just let the landlord know you are doing so.

Landlords don't mind being 'bothered' with knowing when parts of their property are being replaced. It is your responsibility to do this.

I've replaced loads of small bits and pieces around my apartment, I don't throw out the old things, they're all stored in a storage room here. If the landlord wants me to replace them when I'm leaving it wouldn't take long for me to do so, honestly I can't see it happening though as the new things I've bought are much nicer and better quality than the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

davindub wrote: »
    I think maybe you should learn to appreciate loyal customers who pay the rent asked and only bother you for a new blind and couch once in the 5 years.

Can't be giving out things are unfair for landlords if you're not fair yourself. Never mind all that ROI malarky for the sake of a trip to ikea, if the OP leaves for somewhere better, the downtime between tenants would cost you more.

Loyal customers and bother you once?

The op has already said he had deducted items off the rent which means he has asked for stuff in the past. We’d obr know the exact costings of this as we are only getting the op side. I have tenants where I have paid for stuff they have broken because they don’t really bother me while I have others who you might classify as loyal but I flat out reject anything from them as they are so demanding.

I don’t know how long they are in there (I assume longer than 5 years)but if a couch only last 5 years. I’d be disappointed.

ROI is very important. Don’t get into being a ll if you don’t do your figures and account for ROI.

As I said. If they are paying well below market rate which a 5 year gap could be a 50pc increase, I probably wouldn’t replace them as I know another tenant would move in straight away. That’s why I said the rental amount is key here.

It's not subjective. The blinds have holes in them and the couch is literally falling apart.

A few small holes is nothing. The couch doesn’t look like it’s falling apart. It doesn’t look great and potentially it might not be comfortable but I’d have to see it in person.

Again I’m not saying he shouldn’t ask. No harm in asking to see what the ll will say but I’m just saying it’s not black or white here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In fairness structurally the couch is fine its just the finish thats cracking so hardly falling apart.

A cheap solution if the op doesn't want to bother the landlord is to get some throws and cover the couch with them thus hiding the cracking. I've seen people with similar damage to their couch opt for throws rather than get a new one (when they owned the couch).

Personally speaking I would be very very slow to contact a LL if I was paying below market rent as there is a very real risk of an increase.

The risk of a rent increase rather than if the LL would replace them or not would be my concern.
    Or just get a throw yourself, they are not expensive. As for the blinds there are also plenty of cheap options out there that will just need someone with a drill to put them up! All of this assumes the LL won't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

It's totally reasonable to ask and all he can say is no but tbh, in your position I'd ask him to just remove the couch and blind and get my own. Then you can get something you like and that is comfortable not some cheapy thing that he picks. Same for the blinds. Just a way of making the place feel more your own.

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fol20 wrote: »
    A few small holes is nothing. The couch doesn’t look like it’s falling apart. It doesn’t look great and potentially it might not be comfortable but I’d have to see it in person.

Again I’m not saying he shouldn’t ask. No harm in asking to see what the ll will say but I’m just saying it’s not black or white here

Would you keep blinds and a couch like that in your own house?

"A few small holes is nothing". It's a blind. A blind with holes in it is a bit useless.

Folks, if you're ever curious as to why landlords essentially are social pariahs these days, just read some of the posts on this thread. Landlords, if you're ever curious as to why you're always the target of ever increasing regulation and enforcement, just read some of the posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Ive been renting in my current apartment for 5 years. Its a bog standard 1 bed. I have been thinking of moving out because I feel the place is a bit drab. The Blinds are well worn and the couch is hideous. Am I entitled to ask the landlord replace these things. Ive been a very good tenant. Always paid rent on time and any odd job that needed to be done I paid it myself and took it out of the rent . The walls were badly in need of a painting before I moved in and I agreed to go halves with him. Attached is the blind in my room and the couch

Its reasonable, but you dont really get a say in what the LL will replace the sofa and blind with. If you could afford it, I would be tempted to ask the LL to dispose of the items as they are at the end of their life, and buy my own because at least they will be to my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

This thread is everything that is wrong with renting.

Of course he should ask, of course the landlord should replace them.
    If he puts up the rent because of a blind and a couch he's a tool.
    If he doesnt and is happy to rent out a dump he's a tool.

On the other hand if the OP cant buy a blanket or a throw for the couch, and replace the poxy blind for 20 quid he obviously likes living in a dump, has no balls and definitely no girlfriend.

The pair of yee need to sort yourselves out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Definitely ask. I've had situations in the past where I was too nice to the landlord and didn't ask for replacement of very old furniture and then after the tenancy them using it as an excuse to hold part of the deposit.

One seemed to genuinely think that a probably 20 year old couch when we moved in was almost like new and we had ruined it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

The couch and blinds are not fit for purpose and so should be replaced. If the lease is for a furnished apartment, the furniture and fittings should be fit for purpose. But getting landlord to agree is another thing. Try. If he says no, you can consider your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

This is somewhat hindsight advice but I find it strange that the OP is unsure of the condition of items when he moved in.

I've recently rented out my old place and I took photos of everything before handing over the keys so there would be no disputes as to the condition of items at the end of the tenancy.

As a tenant I would do exactly the same thing.

As a LL, I would replace the sofa no issue. I'd probably query how holes came to be in the blind (as above - careless of the OP not to protect himself by noting the condition at the outset).

Especially after 5 years I'd be expecting to need to reinvest here and there anyway, and just look to do it in a tax efficient manner.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    This thread is everything that is wrong with renting.

If he puts up the rent because of a blind and a couch he's a tool.

I actually agree with you on point 1.

This clearly shows why legislation should force all properties to be rented unfurnished. This would alleviate this issue. Tenants can put in whatever couches they want and whatever blinds they want as long as they leave the property empty again.

I’d actually disagree with the second point. If a ll has to spend at least 700e for the above and that’s on the low end including delivery,removal and labour for the blinds. This will remind the ll “oh how much is joe bloggs paying for rent. Oh I can get another 500e in rent pm. I’m a ll and I should run a business so I should increase it as the tenant has had a good run for 5 years with no increases”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its an opportunity cost for the ll. Should he spend 1k to repair those things with an ROI of 0 on a depreciating asset or should he invest it somewhere else.

The LL can deprecate them over 8 years and reduce his tax liability. So it’s doesn’t affect him to much

Would you keep blinds and a couch like that in your own house?

"A few small holes is nothing". It's a blind. A blind with holes in it is a bit useless.

Folks, if you're ever curious as to why landlords essentially are social pariahs these days, just read some of the posts on this thread. Landlords, if you're ever curious as to why you're always the target of ever increasing regulation and enforcement, just read some of the posts on this thread.

When I rented. I lived in accommodation like this. Now that I’m living in my own property. No I wouldn’t. But there is rental quality and owner occupied quality and there is a clear difference between the two.

If you really think my comment is why ll are targets. It doesn’t really say much how the environment as ll are fighting against tenants at least in my local area that went to the toilet in bottles vs a working toilet. Tenants who absolutely destroyed the place costing over 20-30k in repairs. Tenants in arrears ov over 1 year that far outweighs a dirty looking couch and blind

ted1 wrote: »
    The LL can deprecate them over 8 years and twice his tax liability. So it’s doesn’t affect him to much

Yes you account for wear and tear but you don’t go wild on spending as well. You try to minimise costs and maximise your net pay. Every 1k you spend means it costs you 500net or let’s say around 550-600 net for fixed items such as couch. This is money I’d prefer to spend on myself than a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

The op has already said he had deducted items off the rent which means he has asked for stuff in the past.

The only things I have asked for is for the boiler to be fixed which left me no shower or hot water for weeks. This has happened on 3 occasions. Instead of making the landlord organize it and pay directly himself, I organised it and paid for it myself and then took it out of the rent which was handy for him because I live in Waterford and he lives in Dublin. I also went halves with him to get the place painted. The place badly was in need of a painting when I moved in. I know this because I took photos of the walls. The couch wasnt great either 5 years ago photos of that too. With regards the condition of the blinds, I am not 100% sure if they were like the way they are now when I moved in . Most likely they were. But at least I'm not saying they were definitely in a state. I just dont recall. One thing I do know is that I didnt do anything to them to exacerbate their decline. The only thing I did was pull them down at night and let them up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I actually agree with you on point 1.

This clearly shows why legislation should force all properties to be rented unfurnished. This would alleviate this issue. Tenants can put in whatever couches they want and whatever blinds they want as long as they leave the property empty again.

Well you can't rent a place unfurnished here. The law specifies that certain items must be provided by the landlord. While you could rent with less furniture it wouldn't be unfurnished.

The other factor is tenants would just leave the furniture behind. You would not believe how often tenants leave stuff behind as is. They hide the rubbish. technically you can't hold the deposit for it either.

The amount of damage that would be caused moving furniture in or out would be huge.

Tenants do not take care of furniture nor appliances. People will deny this but if a tenant doesn't need to replace the washing machine they will abuse it. Have the same washing machine in 5 place. One with my mother, one with me and the rest rented places. The machines lasted less than 5 years in the rentals mine over 10 years my mother still no problem after 15.

Note I was the person on the original thread saying the OP should get the landlord to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

The only things I have asked for is for the boiler to be fixed which left me no shower or hot water for weeks. This has happened on 3 occasions. Instead of making the landlord organize it and pay directly himself, I organised it and paid for it myself and then took it out of the rent which was handy for him because I live in Waterford and he lives in Dublin. I also went halves with him to get the place painted. The place badly was in need of a painting when I moved in. I know this because I took photos of the walls. The couch wasnt great either 5 years ago photos of that too. With regards the condition of the blinds, I am 100% sure if they were like the way they are now when I moved in . Most likely they were. But at least I'm not saying they were definitely in a state. I just dont recall. At least I'm being honest and not saying I know they were in a state for sure. One thing I do know is that I didnt do anything to them to exacerbate their decline. The only thing I did was pull them down at night and let them up in the morning

You're absolutely fine to ask for them to be replaced. He sounds like he's a reasonable guy. I mean don't be confrontational about it or demand that it happens immediately but those are looking pretty shoddy at this stage.

You could always do some of the work for him and find something that you'd like to replace it with. Either something reasonable from a shop or take a look on adverts and donedeal. If you're not fussy you could definitely find something cheap or free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As if a landlord is going to spend a grand on a couch and a blind in a rental property. :pac: :pac:

Not every landlord rents out hovels.

I have spent thousands on replacement couches, because my tenants are corporate rentals and I put in good quality furniture. It is a business expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Well you can't rent a place unfurnished here. The law specifies that certain items must be provided by the landlord. While you could rent with less furniture it wouldn't be unfurnished.

Requirements are here. Depends what you consider 'unfurnished'
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Washing machine and appliances are required. but nothing to say TV, couches, coffee tables, rugs etc. I lease unfurnished also. People want to bring their furniture with them if they are moving house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

OP, of course it's reasonable to ask, but there are a few things to consider...

1) the landlord doesn't have to replace them and mightn't wish to do so
    2) what will you do if the ll says no?
    3) is moving out and getting another place really a viable option? (the market is mental, will you actually secure another rental)

no one here knows your landlord, so no one knows how they will take the request.

Just as an aside, "always paid rent on time" is the minimum standard expected from a tenant, as is sorting "odd jobs" and billing back to ll.
    Now before everyone jumps down my neck - I'm sure the OP does plenty of other things not listed that makes them a great tenant - I'm not disputing that - however I just wanted to point out that paying rent, and assisting sorting small matters are the basic of what is expected from a tenant and is often (here and elsewhere) listed as an example of being a "great" tenant. Again, this isn't a jab at tenants, the fact that this thread exists displays the dysfunction in the rental market and the issues caused by some ll's, but I felt it was worth pointing out.

Let us know how you get on OP, and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Loyal customers and bother you once?

The op has already said he had deducted items off the rent which means he has asked for stuff in the past. We’d obr know the exact costings of this as we are only getting the op side. I have tenants where I have paid for stuff they have broken because they don’t really bother me while I have others who you might classify as loyal but I flat out reject anything from them as they are so demanding.

I don’t know how long they are in there (I assume longer than 5 years)but if a couch only last 5 years. I’d be disappointed.

ROI is very important. Don’t get into being a ll if you don’t do your figures and account for ROI.

As I said. If they are paying well below market rate which a 5 year gap could be a 50pc increase, I probably wouldn’t replace them as I know another tenant would move in straight away. That’s why I said the rental amount is key here.

ROI on a replacement couch though? Should be part of your budget for repairs. The rents are high enough to justify it, unless you bought at the top of the market.

I think you hit the nail on the head though, you treat tenants as disposable, no need to be fair as a LL. But changing tenants has risk in my opinion so I prefer to look after the long term tenants. A couch doesn't cost enough for me to be thinking ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

pwurple wrote: »
    Requirements are here. Depends what you consider 'unfurnished'
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Washing machine and appliances are required. but nothing to say TV, couches, coffee tables, rugs etc. I lease unfurnished also. People want to bring their furniture with them if they are moving house.

You don't get to redefine unfurnished. If you have to furnish the property with appliances it isn't unfurnished.

People often mention Germany as a great model we should adapt. They don't even provide a kitchen.

The only things I have asked for is for the boiler to be fixed which left me no shower or hot water for weeks. This has happened on 3 occasions. Instead of making the landlord organize it and pay directly himself, I organised it and paid for it myself and then took it out of the rent which was handy for him because I live in Waterford and he lives in Dublin. I also went halves with him to get the place painted. The place badly was in need of a painting when I moved in. I know this because I took photos of the walls. The couch wasnt great either 5 years ago photos of that too. With regards the condition of the blinds, I am 100% sure if they were like the way they are now when I moved in . Most likely they were. But at least I'm not saying they were definitely in a state. I just dont recall. At least I'm being honest and not saying I know they were in a state for sure. One thing I do know is that I didnt do anything to them to exacerbate their decline. The only thing I did was pull them down at night and let them up in the morning

Ok that is very little work in 5 years.Boilers are meant to be serviced yearly anyway so you are a nice tenant to have. Sorry if i was going too hard on this. I just know some people may not outline the entire pictures i had some assumptions which you have now clarified.

Another point to note is painting is the responsibility of the ll and it should either be him paying for it or if he disagrees with it and you offer to do it, that would be on you. The fact he agreed to do 50/50 to me sounds like the ll got off easy but i could be wrong.

davindub wrote: »
    ROI on a replacement couch though? Should be part of your budget for repairs. The rents are high enough to justify it, unless you bought at the top of the market.

I think you hit the nail on the head though, you treat tenants as disposable, no need to be fair as a LL. But changing tenants has risk in my opinion so I prefer to look after the long term tenants. A couch doesn't cost enough for me to be thinking ROI.

Yes your right, i would way up my relationship with the tenant and if its worth it. As said already i have pad for repairs on damages the tenant did as they didnt cause me any bother while for others i have refused everything they wanted.

Even if rents are high, i would base it on potential market rate.if tenants are paying 3/400 less than market rate but still expect the best furniture, then i would be of the mindset that they should pay for this as well. Not sure why people disagree with this but asking for expensive items reminds me to check how much i can get for a property.

ROI is an extreme example, i will give you that but if i want to stay in the business and grow, i do try and minimize costs if i can. Personally throughout my experience from a ll pov. I do find tenants to be disposable. You dont get any thanks for charging less rent and no good grace if something takes a little longer than expected to be sorted. Tenants for the majority of the time dont stay too long in one property particularly Irish people so its a business transaction for me as iv gone through so many move ins/outs. Your right, it costs money for new tenants to move in. This is why you way up the pros and cons and with the market the way it is right now. More than likely, you will have new tenants paying the same rent move in asap without any work or charge more and pay for the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yes your right, i would way up my relationship with the tenant and if its worth it. As said already i have pad for repairs on damages the tenant did as they didnt cause me any bother while for others i have refused everything they wanted.

Even if rents are high, i would base it on potential market rate.if tenants are paying 3/400 less than market rate but still expect the best furniture, then i would be of the mindset that they should pay for this as well. Not sure why people disagree with this but asking for expensive items reminds me to check how much i can get for a property.

But a couch need not be that expensive? Who said anything about the best of furniture? No one is talking about top of the range or designer, or even as good as whatever you have at home, but from the OPs pictures, its horrible and is dragging the place down.

My apt is furnished with the sofas we had when we lived there ourselves - bought new for our new house, but obviously whenever they do ultimately need replacement I'll explore the options to keep costs in check. Perhaps reupholstering is an idea if the item is fundamentally good? In this case though, that sofa looks like it is a low end item and probably not reinvesting in.

I'd be looking to buy something durable and relativly inexpensive. If i tenant asked me for something of a particular design or colour or whatever, I'd tell them to buy their own, but for a basic sofa, I think in this place replacement is a non issue.

Besides, even if I did end up changing tenants, I wouldnt want to show it with something that crappy in situ. If you show your place as a wreck from the outset, then you've next to no chance people will treat it with any respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭saabsaab

OP if I was in your situation and the rent was below 75% of the market value I wouldn't ask but look at the other solutions given on this thread.

If on the other hand you are paying 80% or more I would definitely ask.

No matter what others have posted the rent your are paying does matter to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

saabsaab wrote: »
    OP if I was in your situation and the rent was below 75% of the market value I wouldn't ask but look at the other solutions given on this thread.

If on the other hand you are paying 80% or more I would definitely ask.

No matter what others have posted the rent your are paying does matter to the LL.

Sorry now but its the landlords responsibility to have the apartment in good condition regardless or rent price.

• Advertisement

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Sorry now but its the landlords responsibility to have the apartment in good condition regardless or rent price.

The point people are making here is that its very likely to trigger a rent increase if the op is well below market rate.

It's only natural, if you had to spend money on something and there was a way to recoup it spending the money would remind you to go about recouping it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement