Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blepharitis

• 18-01-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I have blepharitis on and off for years. It's coming on again at the moment. I find that I get overwhelming tiredness with it. I can't find anything about this online. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same symptoms or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had a bout of it a couple of years ago. Actually got quite bad. At times it looked like I was hit in the eye with a blunt object. Went to the Dr. and he just gave me a leaflet with some tips to manage it.

I found that tiredness and prolonged use of a PC can bring it on.

The best way I’ve found to manage it is to wash my eyelids with a Teatree oil face wash from Boots while in the shower. Lightly scrape the base of your eyelashes to remove any dead skin. I do this everyday and it keeps it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I developed blepharitis recently but I also have a few other conditions where tiredness can be a symptom so I've never put the two together.

I've kept mine under control with eye wipes designed specifically to help (I tried a home made baby shampoo and cotton bud approach before) and a warm compress eye mask (I tried the warm water and cotton wipes approach too).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I developed blepharitis recently but I also have a few other conditions where tiredness can be a symptom so I've never put the two together.

I've kept mine under control with eye wipes designed specifically to help (I tried a home made baby shampoo and cotton bud approach before) and a warm compress eye mask (I tried the warm water and cotton wipes approach too).

I tried that initially after the Dr. gave me the list but it didn't really work.

https://www.boots.ie/boots-tea-tree-and-witch-hazel-foaming-face-wash-150ml-10125605

That's the face wash that I use. For me it's the action of scraping (lightly) at the dead skin that does the trick. I think it stops the pores from being blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I used to get this a fair bit, the baby shampoo works for me.
    I keep a little bottle and wash eyelids (tight closed lol) with it maybe once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I tried that initially after the Dr. gave me the list but it didn't really work.

https://www.boots.ie/boots-tea-tree-and-witch-hazel-foaming-face-wash-150ml-10125605

That's the face wash that I use. For me it's the action of scraping (lightly) at the dead skin that does the trick. I think it stops the pores from being blocked.
    Yeah, I fold the wipe in a certain way as part of my routine and use what I could describe as a flossing technique between my closed eyelids to achieve the same result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Blephaclean eye wipes work very well. Blepharitis is caused by an eye mite called Demodex. Google it and learn about them. Have ye got oily skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Just as an FYI baby shampoo was an older way to deal with blepharitis, its now very much warned against due to the effect on the tears and goblet cell function.

Tea Tree wash, specific blepharitis wipes, hot compress/eye bag are all a much a better approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

While overwhelming tiredness is not typically listed as a common symptom of blepharitis, it's possible that the condition itself or related factors could be contributing to your fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Have been managing it for the past 15+ years. Worse at times but in recent years actually ok if I catch it in time. At the worse, which was early on I had to have surgery in mater to drain the duct on one eye. I looked like I had been in a fight for a few weeks after. 😅

I've found blephaclean wipes to be necessary and must have at all times although I don't use them daily. Also some eye spray (I've used various) just to keep them from getting scratchy.

When I feel a change in one/both eyes I'll start taking citrine allergy and will take for about a week. That seems to calm it and avoid the flair up. Importantly this is before it's really visible but can feel some slight swelling or redness coming on.

Advertisement