Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns the fish in a County Council lake

• 18-10-2019 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭

So the background to this is a regular water I fish in Cork.

We've suffered years of netting to the degree that what was once a half decent Tench water is now devoid. I haven't had a Tench since 2017.

We've been free on netting as far as I know for the past year but on my last visit I openly saw a cheap gas cooker with a couple of decent Skimmers being cooked. I challenged and the guys in fairness were very polite but stated that they had caught the fish by rod and line and were doing nothing wrong.

The County Council weren't interested but I'm just curious as to whether its the CC that own the fish as they own the water and secondly, as much as it drives me crazy, they within their rights ?

Zzippy might have the line here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

When you say 'county council lake' - what do you mean exactly?
    Is it a natural lake where the council own/control the access?
    Is it an artificial lake, built , maintained, owned, stocked by the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

boomdocker wrote: »
    When you say 'county council lake' - what do you mean exactly?
    Is it a natural lake where the council own/control the access?
    Is it an artificial lake, built , maintained, owned, stocked by the council?

It's a disused reservoir which was is on county council land and is maintained by the council. It was restocked by the council about 6 years ago and still has council litter and grass cutting around it. It's listed as a council property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Sounds like the council are the ones then
    But it sounds like they don't have the will (or maybe the means) to police the issue?
    or maybe they don't see an issue?

As to who actually 'owns' the fish not sure on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I know corkagh park in clondalkin was council owned but they messed around with the fella looking after the place so he left and apparently he let loose a load of pike into the two lakes trout and course lake and the place went to the dogs since. He had the place running beautifully for years until they messed him around.
    My biggest trout was just short of 20 lb.
    apparently now there is 2 or 3 monster pike in the trout lake now. Well over 25 lbs apparently. That’s just hear say though. But I have seen decent double figure pike there under the bridge.
    Maynooth fishery wasn’t council owned but I believe the original owners were bought out and it’s now what it is. Carp over 45 lb.
    rathbeggan lakes was council years ago with one main lake of rainbow, one for brown trout and one small kiddy lake for beginners. Now it’s a family adventure park.
    Anamoe was always crap. Floods led to rainbow trout entering the avoca river and they spawned making a wild rainbow trout river now and the brown trout are suffering including the salmon in it. Rainbow eating everything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Give Inland Fisheries a buzz.

• Advertisement

OK so legally you can take and kill 4 course fish per session (CONSERVATION OF AND PROHIBITION ON SALE OF COARSE FISH BYE-LAW NO. 806, 2006) providing they are of legal size, that's sad news to me!

So unless the fish are owned by the council and they enforce, nothing much I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

OK so legally you can take and kill 4 course fish per session (CONSERVATION OF AND PROHIBITION ON SALE OF COARSE FISH BYE-LAW NO. 806, 2006) providing they are of legal size, that's sad news to me!

So unless the fish are owned by the council and they enforce, nothing much I can do

The above bye law will dictate what ifi officers can and cannot do in this situation. If caught by rod and line the numbers caught by individuals per day and the size of each fish killed and retained comes into play. Regardless of council ownership coarse fish are protected by the above law wherever they are located in freshwater. Ring your local ifi officer with any concerns you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The legal size is 25cm for coarse fish and one 50cm Pike a day . Them laws should be scrapped as they're a loophole for poachers

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭jack01986

I know corkagh park in clondalkin was council owned but they messed around with the fella looking after the place so he left and apparently he let loose a load of pike into the two lakes trout and course lake and the place went to the dogs since. He had the place running beautifully for years until they messed him around.
    My biggest trout was just short of 20 lb.
    apparently now there is 2 or 3 monster pike in the trout lake now. Well over 25 lbs apparently. That’s just hear say though. But I have seen decent double figure pike there under the bridge.

Can you still fish the lakes there or is it closed for fishing?

The legal size is 25cm for coarse fish and one 50cm Pike a day . Them laws should be scrapped as they're a loophole for poachers

Important to point out that they are the maximum sizes, illegal to take anything bigger although the whole taking thing is just wrong for me.

So I spoke with the County Council and their line was that so long as they were fishing within the bye laws, they were happy. Doesn't sit well with me but nothing I can do.

• Advertisement

jack01986 wrote: »
    Can you still fish the lakes there or is it closed for fishing?

Still available for fishing but don’t expect much from it. A lot of perch in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Where is the loophole? Also, how would pike anglers get roach for deadbaits if they were scrapped?

Important to point out that they are the maximum sizes, illegal to take anything bigger although the whole taking thing is just wrong for me.

So I spoke with the County Council and their line was that so long as they were fishing within the bye laws, they were happy. Doesn't sit well with me but nothing I can do.

County council won't care about fish being taken, and have no power to enforce the byelaw anyway. If you see illegal activity like over size fish being taken, or more than the limit, call IFI and report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Anamoe was always crap. Floods led to rainbow trout entering the avoca river and they spawned making a wild rainbow trout river now and the brown trout are suffering including the salmon in it. Rainbow eating everything

Very interesting, I hooked what I swore was a rainbow on the Avonmore and saw a guy catch one the following day. Assumed they were escapees. Could they be breeding in there as well? I know they have spawned in several UK rivers but had not heard of it here.

whelzer wrote: »
    Very interesting, I hooked what I swore was a rainbow on the Avonmore and saw a guy catch one the following day. Assumed they were escapees. Could they be breeding in there as well? I know they have spawned in several UK rivers but had not heard of it here.

I caught well over 15 on that river avoca before and plenty of browns of the same size. All small enough. Between 8-12 inch rainbows. They don’t stock that size in annamoe so it’s led me to believe that these are bred from the river.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where is the loophole? Also, how would pike anglers get roach for deadbaits if they were scrapped?

County council won't care about fish being taken, and have no power to enforce the byelaw anyway. If you see illegal activity like over size fish being taken, or more than the limit, call IFI and report it.

Thanks that was my original question (I mentioned you in the question in hope of clarification) the fish I saw were of legal size, within quota and apparently caught by rod and line, just wondered whether the council as the people stocking were the legal owners of the fish, but they don't seem to give a hoot and no laws broken so just have to swallow hard

Thanks that was my original question (I mentioned you in the question in hope of clarification) the fish I saw were of legal size, within quota and apparently caught by rod and line, just wondered whether the council as the people stocking were the legal owners of the fish, but they don't seem to give a hoot and no laws broken so just have to swallow hard

If the council own the lake you could ask them to introduce a bylaw requiring catch and release of all fish. I think Waterways Ireland have done this on some of their water (not my area so unsure where exactly).

If the council own the lake you could ask them to introduce a bylaw requiring catch and release of all fish. I think Waterways Ireland have done this on some of their water (not my area so unsure where exactly).

Cheers, worth an ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Where is the loophole? Also, how would pike anglers get roach for deadbaits if they were scrapped?.

The loophole is , it allows munchers to take fish for the table everyday of the week . I've stopped fishing the Liffey because eastern Europeans use that rule and when I used to go down there , I'd have rows with them about killing fish and they tell you the law. What's the point in me catching fish and munchers in the next swim legally throwing them into a bucket , I'd been on the the IFI about it and the Garda but they can do f all . There used to be a fella at the canoe club bridge in leixlip everyday taking home fish, IFI hot on to him a few times but he never breaks the laws . The law should be stopped for the summer months say from April to October. As people generally don't Pike fish during the summer with baits and coarse fish spawn during them months so the taking of fish during that time should be banned and they're easier to catch too.

The loophole is , it allows munchers to take fish for the table everyday of the week . I've stopped fishing the Liffey because eastern Europeans use that rule and when I used to go down there , I'd have rows with them about killing fish and they tell you the law. What's the point in me catching fish and munchers in the next swim legally throwing them into a bucket , I'd been on the the IFI about it and the Garda but they can do f all . There used to be a fella at the canoe club bridge in leixlip everyday taking home fish, IFI hot on to him a few times but he never breaks the laws . The law should be stopped for the summer months say from April to October. As people generally don't Pike fish during the summer with baits and coarse fish spawn during them months so the taking of fish during that time should be banned and they're easier to catch too.

If they are abiding by the law they are not exploiting a loophole. You disagree with the law itself, that's fair enough and I happen to agree with you, was just interested why you called it a loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

MOD. Cut out the generalisations and the terms or it will be a ban. You have been warned before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement