Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mackerel 2019

• 24-06-2019 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Maybe a bit early yet but can people update with locations when they start catching a few.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Going to try rathmullan in Donegal next week. Not holding up much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Report from bullock harbour is all joey mackerel being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

I'm heading to Achill next weekend so will update on here afterwards.
    Anyone been fishing out there recently?

I'd be interested to hear how Dun Laoghaire is fishing now too if anone has been out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

big dan wrote: »
    I'm heading to Achill next weekend so will update on here afterwards.
    Anyone been fishing out there recently?

I'd be interested to hear how Dun Laoghaire is fishing now too if anone has been out there.

I will probably be out of dun laoghaire today and tomorrow - where are the good spots for mackerel there from boat? I appreciate people don't reveal spots online but mackerel are the Fish equivalent of spars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

a148pro wrote: »
    I will probably be out of dun laoghaire today and tomorrow - where are the good spots for mackerel there from boat? I appreciate people don't reveal spots online but mackerel are the Fish equivalent of spars

If you have a boat go to bullock harbour in between the island and mainland. Best mackerel spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Nothing biting yesterday though that may reflect our incompetence, only hand reels with old feathers. Lads we met on dalkey island said there were mackerel around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out last Saturday fishing off Lambay Island 8 of us only caught about a dozen between all of us

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dgamblerbob

Anyone been fishing to castle point/dunlicky or bridges of Ross or west coast in last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Nothing happening in Rathmullan Donegal. Absolutely nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If anglers could specify whether they are boat or shore fishing that would be much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

robbie67 wrote: »
    Went out last Saturday fishing off Lambay Island 8 of us only caught about a dozen between all of us

Them are the scout mackerel ye got. The big shoals will be following them in along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any good spots around lisdonvarna or would I be better off fishing on the beach. Staying down there tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

Any good spots around lisdonvarna or would I be better off fishing on the beach. Staying down there tomorrow night

There's an expansive rock fishing area at Ballyreen just a few mins up the road, if that's what you are after. Right beside the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Anyone down around Dunmore East ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

I was in Achill for the week and fished a few spots, but not one bite unfortunately.

Nothing happening around Kilkee / Dunlicky either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anything in Kerry yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nothing happening around Kilkee / Dunlicky either

I was in Dunlicky the other evening, 4 hour's and 12 mackerel, I needed 6 for bait and got 2 in the first hour and the rest in 3 casts before it got dark.

Its full of coalies and I had to put on an 8oz weight to drop it fast enough.

The flats in fanore fish fairly well if you can punch out a 5oz lead and 3 feathers 150 yards +

I usually use 15lbs line 3 feathers and an old battered well tuned abu 6500ct old century tip tornado sport gets the distance and out into the current outside which the mackerel travel.

They're like roads and the fish seem to traverse these routes then at slack water they'll become more adventurous and move inshore...

Oh yeah I use a 60lbs shock leader while belting out a 5oz weigh with 15lbs line.

No snags at the flats so it cuts down on line abrasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Boat between Moher and Inis Oirr last week - nothing. Picked up a few pollock in the shallows but no mackerel in deeper waters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 HARRY72

Anything in Cork area?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

HARRY72 wrote:
    Anything in Cork area?

Fished the beara for 4 days solid and only got 6 mackerel between two of us. Very disappointed all round only average sized Pollack,congers and coalies. Fishing has finally crashed

cd07 wrote: »
    Fished the beara for 4 days solid and only got 6 mackerel between two of us. Very disappointed all round only average sized Pollack,congers and coalies. Fishing has finally crashed

It's early yet. Back end of August if I haven't a freezer full I'll be disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Was down in Clifden for the weekendboat fishing.

Between 6 anglers we caught maybe a couple of dozen..pollack were far more plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andyp28

Anything around dalkey or greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Couple of small boats fishing out of malin Head had 20 to 30 mackerel each. Medium size with a few large.

There's plenty of them turning up around West Clare, early morning seems to be the best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Going to be around Caherciveen area this weekend, any know of any reports around there of them being around? I'll report back here if I catch any.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Gumbi wrote: »
    Going to be around Caherciveen area this weekend, any know of any reports around there of them being around? I'll report back here if I catch any.

Haven't heard anything from there but I tried Fenit pier a couple of evenings last week and only saw one mackeral caught even though there was a good few fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Gumbi wrote: »

Had several (could have had dozens) there last week. We got about 12 and then stopped.

Advertisement