Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leak in apartment liability

Options
  • 03-01-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

If there is a leak in an apartment above which is not repaired in a timely manor which also causes extensive damage, who retains liability?

Is it the block management policy or the owner of the apartment. I was talking to someone today that told me block management would need to cover it which basically means im paying for it when it should be the owner of the apartment.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What caused the leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

What caused the leak?

Apartment above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I would the say the block insurance/management company are ultimately responsible for fixing it, but they should pursue the person that caused the leak and make them / their insurance cover the costs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Most block policies cover leaks, and are agnostic as to cause or blame.
    Its very possible its covered by the Management Company policy (less any excess of course- which presumably would be covered by the OMC itself, as you're not to blame for the leak).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Most block policies cover leaks, and are agnostic as to cause or blame.
    Its very possible its covered by the Management Company policy (less any excess of course- which presumably would be covered by the OMC itself, as you're not to blame for the leak).

Its more the fact that its a small block. If it was repaired in a timely manor, the damage would have been much less, however now that its dragged on and the owner has not got his contractors to go out yet.damage has increased by more than likely thousands.in essence. Ill be paying a premium for the insurance next year due to another owners lack luster performance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I would the say the block insurance/management company are ultimately responsible for fixing it, but they should pursue the person that caused the leak and make them / their insurance cover the costs

This happened to a friend of mine - she reported that there was a wet patch appearing on her ceiling and nothing was done, then 3 days later she arrived home from work to find the ceiling was now on the floor. Turned out the problem originated in the rented apartment above. The landlord had been told about the leak and wouldn't fix it, and apparently hadn't had the boiler serviced for years. In her case the management company covered the cost of her repairs, and then pursued the owner of the apartment above, to recoup the money.

Her block only has 10 apartments, but it only happened in August, so she doesn't know if it'll impact the management fees yet.

Advertisement