Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rea podcast....pretty good !

• 17-03-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Discovered this last night. Mens Rea. True crime podcast. Covers a lot of Irish cases, scissor sisters, Catherine Nevin, etc...well worth a listen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Thanks for recommending this. Have listened to a couple of episodes and it is very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Never heard of this. I've been hoping there would be a podcast that would cover Irish cases. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Welcome guys. :o. It's a good one. Well worth a listen. The scissor scissors one is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Just started listening to one of the first episodes of this now. One thing that's bugging me though, is the host Sinead Irish or American? I can't quite place her accent and it's taking from the story I'm listening to. Not a big deal either way, just curious, as I'm spending more time trying to figure out the accent than the story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I asked the same on here previously and got this reply:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107199599&postcount=27
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    She's definitely Irish but it is an odd accent alright. My wife thought that the host wasn't Irish at the start.

Some info about the host:
    https://mensreapod.com/about/

I was a little surprised to learn the host was Irish, not only due to the accent but the Americanised vocabulary used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Yes exactly, I noticed that too, a lot of Americanised phrases, was listening to one episode earlier today and noted she was saying "Stellar".

Just really curious as to her accent as I can't place if it's Irish or American or some hybrid of both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The latest podcast - Sylvia Fleming is a bit gruesome!

Really enjoyed the Veronica Guerin two parter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

not impressed, really sounds like someone reading from a script or a book (only listened to the first few - hope she improves)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Moyglish wrote: »
    Just started listening to one of the first episodes of this now. One thing that's bugging me though, is the host Sinead Irish or American? I can't quite place her accent and it's taking from the story I'm listening to. Not a big deal either way, just curious, as I'm spending more time trying to figure out the accent than the story!

Sounds like she's irish but moved to America a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Cienciano wrote: »
    Moyglish wrote: »

Sounds like she's irish but moved to America a few years ago.

Sounds like she's American and spent a couple of years in Ireland! Absolutely ridiculous accent if she spent the majority of her life here (based on her understanding of Irish place names, words I'm guessing the latter is the case). Makes it unlistenable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

The accent and use of phrases like "boosting cars" etc. used to irritate me I'll admit, maybe that's my issue not the presenters but I have to say I find the podcast to be very good and I appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into it. The Veronica Guerin two-parter in particular was very interesting.

One thing about the podcast I've noticed is the ads for other true crime podcasts, they without exception sound ****e! I know I should listen to them before making a judgement but the ads don't exactly sell them. This is not a reflection on Mens Rea at all, just something I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mensreapod

Hey all! Sinead from the podcast here. I was born in Dublin (the rotunda to be exact - northside for life) and moved to the US when I was 2. I lived my whole childhood there and moved back here for secondary school. My grasp of Irish is piss poor and frankly spent many years in denial over the fact I no longer lived in the states, so my accent is much improved given how long I held onto it for. My 3 sisters all still live there, and if I'm nervous or whatever, it gets stronger. I lived in MA and OK if anyone's interested.

I choose the words for my script carefully. About 75% of my listeners are in the US, so using too much Irish/UK slang would be off putting, and sometimes I pick words/phrases that Oirish things up a bit for them too.

I'm glad to hear many of you are enjoying the show, I love making it and spend basically all of my free time researching. Sorry to hear that some dislike it//me/my voice, but sure I can't please everyone.

Thanks again guys.

Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

mensreapod wrote: »
    Hey all! Sinead from the podcast here. I was born in Dublin (the rotunda to be exact - northside for life) and moved to the US when I was 2. I lived my whole childhood there and moved back here for secondary school. My grasp of Irish is piss poor and frankly spent many years in denial over the fact I no longer lived in the states, so my accent is much improved given how long I held onto it for. My 3 sisters all still live there, and if I'm nervous or whatever, it gets stronger. I lived in MA and OK if anyone's interested.

I choose the words for my script carefully. About 75% of my listeners are in the US, so using too much Irish/UK slang would be off putting, and sometimes I pick words/phrases that Oirish things up a bit for them too.

I'm glad to hear many of you are enjoying the show, I love making it and spend basically all of my free time researching. Sorry to hear that some dislike it//me/my voice, but sure I can't please everyone.

Thanks again guys.

Sinead

Hi Sinead, thanks for dropping by! Well done on your podcast, really enjoying the different cases your covering. We can never please everyone so don't take it to heart.

Keep up the good work,
    AMSA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hi Sinead,

Thanks for posting. It's cool to get feedback from the people who make these shows.

Think the podcast is great - detailed and involving. And you don't milk the horror or the sympathy factor for the crimes, which is really appreciated. So many other true crime pods are unlistenable for me because they either (a) think they're comedians or (b) love lingering on the salacious or horrifying aspects of the crimes.

Love to know what you listen to yourself!

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mensreapod

Hi Sinead, thanks for dropping by! Well done on your podcast, really enjoying the different cases your covering. We can never please everyone so don't take it to heart.

Keep up the good work,
    AMSA

Thanks so much AMSA. I love making it, so I'll be doing it whether people listen or not!

Arghus wrote: »

Think the podcast is great - detailed and involving. And you don't milk the horror or the sympathy factor for the crimes, which is really appreciated. So many other true crime pods are unlistenable for me because they either (a) think they're comedians or (b) love lingering on the salacious or horrifying aspects of the crimes.

Well, from a purely practical perspective in relation to (a) it's really really hard to approach being funny when you're on your own, and I'm painfully un-funny, so that was never an option for me.

And as for (b), yeah I tend to be careful about graphic details. I give the facts, but try not to be overly gratuitous. We're a small country and relatives could end up listening, and also I'd hate to be accused of sensationalising awful crimes for my own benefit. It's bad enough that I like spending time on terrible subjects, so I figure dealing with them sensitively is the least I can do.
    Arghus wrote: »
    Love to know what you listen to yourself!

I listen to A LOT of podcasts. For true crime, I usually like the big obvious ones (Serial, In the Dark, Generation Why, Disgraceland, Casefile, Insight, They Walk Among Us, Court Junkie), as well as some smaller up and coming/newer ones (Redhanded, Criminology, Nothing Rhymes with Murder, Swindled, Getting Off podcast, Murder Mile, Southern Fried True Crime, Moms and Murder, True Crime Fan Club.... soooo many). I also like the comedy + murder thing (so My Fav Murder, Last Podcast on the Left and Wine and Crime).

I also love conspiracy and mysteries so Astonishing Legends, Thinking Sideways, Oh No Ross and Carrie. And culty things like Uncover: Escaping NXIVM, Transmissions from Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, Dear Franklin Jones and so on..

Audio dramas like The Black Tapes/Tanis/Rabbits, Homecoming, The Karen and Ellen Letters, The Message, Limetown. Currently waiting for all of Who Killed Julie? to drop so I can binge it. I'm hoping its good!

I also love a good political history podcast - Cover - Up, The RFK tapes, The Dollop (although thats not necessarily political and is more comedy).

So. LOTS. is the answer. Too many to actually get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Thanks again guys.

Sinead

Hi!! Love your podcast, the cases are very interesting. Keep it up :)

EDIT: I love your recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Thanks for popping in. Love the podcast, it's well researched and never gratuitous (I can't listen to comedic true crime podcasts, it doesn't sit well with me).
    Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Hi Sinead....Loved your Scissor Sisters episode. Btw, would you ever consider the Robert Houlihan case??

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I'm glad to hear many of you are enjoying the show, I love making it and spend basically all of my free time researching. Sorry to hear that some dislike it//me/my accent.
    Thanks again guys.

Sinead

Hi. Just wanted to say sorry about my previous comment. It all makes perfect sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I think Mens rea is excellent.
    I've listened to some stories I thought I knew well, but the level of detail is excellent.

I wonder how many Subscribers / listeners Sinead has?

Interesting seeing some photos online of her recording space - fairly basic!!

Cant wait for the next instalment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Heard this podcast reviewed on with Matt Cooper the other day. I've always enjoyed it from time to time and I think it's well done.

Thought it very unfair of the reviewer to refer to it as sensationalist! that is completely the opposite of what I would have described it as. If I had any criticism it would be that the show is understated, certainly not sensationalist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Heard this podcast reviewed on with Matt Cooper the other day. I've always enjoyed it from time to time and I think it's well done.

Thought it very unfair of the reviewer to refer to it as sensationalist! that is completely the opposite of what I would have described it as. If I had any criticism it would be that the show is understated, certainly not sensationalist!

Wha? Very understated and matter of fact podcast; that's what makes it one of the best.

Love to know what contributer said that. I find the last word to be badly afflicted with clueless windbags they get on to "review" things.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Yeah I listened last night very good

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Only recently started with this. Have picked a few out of the first 10-15 episodes that I would have a passing knowledge of from the news etc to get in to it first.

Couple of things that grated slightly was in the James Bulger episode the swapping back and forward between calling him James and Jamie (Jamie was a press thing, the family didnt call him that) . Just felt odd to be using both. I hadnt heard Robert Thompson being called Bobby anywhere before, felt odd.

Only thing I find when you hear inconsistencies with cases you are familiar with , is then wondering if anything you're listening to in cases you know nothing about , is wrong. Obviously that isnt something unique to mens rea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 richie1313

Fairly interesting stories but needs to tighten up some details here and there.
    Just listened to the John Carty / Abbeylara one and once again the Gardaí got a raw deal and only the negative view of them was mentioned. Also it’s Commissioner Noel Conroy (not Conway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

Only recently started with this. Have picked a few out of the first 10-15 episodes that I would have a passing knowledge of from the news etc to get in to it first.

Couple of things that grated slightly was in the James Bulger episode the swapping back and forward between calling him James and Jamie (Jamie was a press thing, the family didnt call him that) . Just felt odd to be using both. I hadnt heard Robert Thompson being called Bobby anywhere before, felt odd.

Only thing I find when you hear inconsistencies with cases you are familiar with , is then wondering if anything you're listening to in cases you know nothing about , is wrong. Obviously that isnt something unique to mens rea.

I’ve been really enjoying the back catalogue. A few things that grate are her pronunciation of inquiry and when she talks about suspects she switches between calling them by their first and last name a bit. Makes it seem like 2 different people at times. Nit picking really.
    Second only to TWAU in terms of my pick of crime podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Slideways wrote: »
    I’ve been really enjoying the back catalogue. A few things that grate are her pronunciation of inquiry and when she talks about suspects she switches between calling them by their first and last name a bit. Makes it seem like 2 different people at times. Nit picking really.
    Second only to TWAU in terms of my pick of crime podcasts

What's TWAU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭RichT

What's TWAU?

They Walk Among Us A great podcast dedicated to UK True Crime

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Im loving MensRea now and listen when Im in the kitchen or garden. Listening to the Rachel O Reilly story now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Im loving MensRea now and listen when Im in the kitchen or garden. Listening to the Rachel O Reilly story now.

Advertisement