Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 canadian 222

coolwings wrote: »
    PB float tube caught pike ...
    25lb_pike_tube.jpg
    very nice fish indeed,well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Whopper pike!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andrey

Ross Lake, Galway
    pike - 11lb, 35 in

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pason

never hold a pike by its gills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

holding pike properly by the gill covers is the safest way to hold them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Pason:
    A large pike has a huge mouth. We slide our hand inside the gill cover, but do not make contact with the gills which are further inside. Our fingers rest against the inside of the gill cover plate.

A pike goes docile when held in this manner, and opens it's mouth keeping it open. They then can be safely unhooked without thrashing and injury.

Anglers who do not know this trick have to use padded unhooking mats during unhooking to protect the pike from injury as it jumps on land.

A leather glove to protect your hand, and a forceps to remove the hook are all that is required. I have unhooked thousands of pike this way, and not seen my pike injured in approx 40 years. On many occasions in busy waters I remove other peoples (lost) hooks while taking my own out, and provide the pike a dental cleanup service. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

There is no harm in that whatsoever, I believe its called chinning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Tenley Large Aardvark

Dusty87 wrote: »
    There is no harm in that whatsoever, I believe its called chinning

+1
    as long as there is no contact with the actual gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Wednesday night the 5th. 6lb and 4 1/2lb

Where was this caught??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Scamp321

is there any sharks that are a thret too humans of d coast of Ireland????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Nope, Tope, blue, porbeagle none would go next nor near a human, The most dangerous things in Irish waters is the weaverfish or Lions Mane jellyfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Hi

caught this in Lough Allua in west cork last winter. She took a half mackeral tail. Gave a good fight for about 15 mins. She was returned alive and well to grow 20 lbs bigger (i hope). This is my biggest fresh water fish to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Only started pike fishing for the first time on sunday and lost a huge fish, so returned monday with a mate and hooked two jack pike and this baby. Its not a big pike but its a start:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrttattoo

hey yall
    how do i put up pics prob being thick forgive me please
    dont get this url ****e have all pics on hardrive
    :confused::confused::confused:

Click the "REPLY" button.
    Type your text in the box.
    Look above the text area. Beside the font there is a paperclip icon.
    Click on that and a new window opens. You can browse your hard drive to locate the photo, and click to upload it.
    There is a max file size for each type of photo file, so you might have to resize your photo smaller to stay within the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Caught these three and a couple of small whiting off the pier in Courtown in April.
    BILD0762.jpg
    Dogfish

DSC00217.jpg
    Flounder??

DSC00220.jpg
    Bass

Dogfish was a struggle to get off the hook!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Beekay wrote: »
    Caught these three and a couple of small whiting off the pier in Courtown in April.
    BILD0762.jpg
    Dogfish

DSC00217.jpg
    Flounder??

DSC00220.jpg
    Bass

Dogfish was a struggle to get off the hook!!!

Im gonna try and be gentle here. There is NO excuse for dangling a hooked fish like your first pic. Try and have a thought for the welfare of the fish please.
    Your next 2 pics are similar, putting a fish on a dry towel as that looks to be is going to do massive damage to their protective coating. If they were for the pan then ok but if you were returning them it would be much better to handle them with wet hands and then as little as possible to get your pic.

If your intending on returning your catch use barbless or crush the barbs with a pliers, much easier unhook. You wont loose fish if you keep a tight line on them.

Chuileog wrote: »
    Im gonna try and be gentle here. There is NO excuse for dangling a hooked fish like your first pic. Try and have a thought for the welfare of the fish please.
    I was actually taking the picture as it was being brought in, it wasn't being dangled, was getting lowered to be freed
    Chuileog wrote: »
    Your next 2 pics are similar, putting a fish on a dry towel as that looks to be is going to do massive damage to their protective coating. If they were for the pan then ok but if you were returning them it would be much better to handle them with wet hands and then as little as possible to get your pic.
    Didn't actually know that will keep in mind for the future, second picture the towel was wet by then.

Was refering to how much the Dogfish moved about in terms of getting the hook out, it ended up tangling itself in the line.

Thats good fishing Beekay, did they all come to Lug? Im going to be in Courtown a lot next week, No bass for me though, Ill have to wait till June 15th,

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Thats good fishing Beekay, did they all come to Lug? Im going to be in Courtown a lot next week, No bass for me though, Ill have to wait till June 15th,

The Flounder and Bass were on Lug, the Dogfish was caught on preserved mackeral.

• Advertisement

nice little fish caught on small jerkbait

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Makes getting up on sunday worth while 5 pound fish, size 8 hook 10 pound line worm bait

a handful of lovely clare pike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

argh mrtattoe
    thats no way to hold a pike :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

Yes ,pike shouldnt be hung/held up with pliers or a weighting scales ,Seen loads of pictures of decent fish been held with body hanging, only supported in the mouth, Any fish over 10lb held this way can cause damage,

Cant post pictures as they are too large for this site? Will try to make them smaller,What do people use ? Anybody know

I hate to nit pick but a pliers! Great fishing, fair play to you, but a pliers,thats shocking. Great to see people posting their catches again.
    My first flounder in Court Town yesterday on lug tipped with berkley dodgy bait.

Would somebody start a new thread on fish handling, Im not an expert so I wouldn't like to start it off. A lot of people are posting pictures and being attacked for their fish handling, but if you've never been told how can you know, and some pics look worse than they are. We would all agree that the majority of us that use this forum, take care when releasing fish and respect the fish, so better to try to let people know the correct care before chastizing people who are innocently making mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Nice start...... could have been worse.. spent all this W/end looking for pike only to be soaked for the whole time without even a bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

heres a taster , was my pb for a while ,weight was 25-lb 4 oz* not as description,

That's a very nice pike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Would somebody start a new thread on fish handling, Im not an expert so I wouldn't like to start it off. A lot of people are posting pictures and being attacked for their fish handling, but if you've never been told how can you know, and some pics look worse than they are. We would all agree that the majority of us that use this forum, take care when releasing fish and respect the fish, so better to try to let people know the correct care before chastizing people who are innocently making mistakes
    I agree a sticky would be a good idea as it seems like we have a fair few beginners on here. I would be happy to contribute some suggestions on handling trout, maybe some others could deal with pike, sea fish etc.

Advertisement