Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we break a lease?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My girlfriend is living in an apartment in town with her friend. They found a dead body (died of natural causes) in the hall outside their room and feel they cant live their anymore. They have been there for 9 month but have 3 months left on their lease. They gave a months notice and the landlord said they could move out early only if they have found someone to move in instead. Unfortunately they havent and it looks like the landlord will make them complete there lease. Is there anyway of getting out of the lease?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unfortunately not.

It's not the fault of the landlord that this situation arose (nor your girlfriend's fault either).

The lease is for 3 more months, so she must abide by the lease or find a replacement tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aaron_d

I read that you can break a lease if staying there effects your health. They literally wont be there by themselves and meet in town everyday before going back to the apartment. Surely this can affect someone mental health.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For that, they would need a medical or psychiatric report.

I'm not sure how long such would take, but it's not simple.

The apartment is fit for habitation and is not a danger to anyone's health.

Dealing with a death outside the unit is something very different though.

Advertisement