Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abolish car tax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On cars up to and including 16hp

I kinda remember references in for sale ads in Buy & Sell to 8hp on cars like Starlets and Micras, can’t remember how that worked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well done finding that. Worth pointing out that it wasn't all cars and it did happen for a while as I recall but fuel wasn't increased to cover the gap. Wasn't too long after the fuel crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

And the 400k people that live near the border, as well as every trucking business in the country. What are you doing to do about them?

Internment or comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

colm_mcm wrote: »
    On cars up to and including 16hp

I kinda remember references in for sale ads in Buy & Sell to 8hp on cars like Starlets and Micras, can’t remember how that worked

IIRC every 125cc was considered 1 hp. At least that’s how it was explained to me way back, never got an official statement on it though so I’d say it could be hear say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

martyc5674 wrote: »
    IIRC every 125cc was considered 1 hp. At least that’s how it was explained to me way back, never got an official statement on it though so I’d say it could be hear say!

If that's the case, then a 2L would have been 16hp.

Madness

Has anyone got the specs of popular mid 1970s cars, what HP / Displacement did they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

mikeecho wrote: »
    If that's the case, then a 2L would have been 16hp.

Madness

Has anyone got the specs of popular mid 1970s cars, what HP / Displacement did they have?

A mk2 cortina 1600e was 68hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Here's a motor tax solution, pack your bags and emigrate to a land with a fairer tax system and cheaper fuel. Hows Dubai sound ?

Ireland will never have a fair tax system, today you will be shafted, same as next year and in 10 years time.. And it wont make a difference if you go electric either. All electric car owners will pay much greater tax in the next decade to.

Ireland will never have an exotic car culture because of our shtty high taxes.. Its amazing how just across the pond there are Lambos and Ferraris everywhere...Parts of London are really nice to walk around just to see whats parked on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

mondeo wrote: »
    Here's a motor tax solution, pack your bags and emigrate to a land with a fairer tax system and cheaper fuel. Hows Dubai sound ?

It sounds fantastic until you dig a little deeper and discover the level of slavery going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Standard rate of 100 for petrol
    Standard rate of 200 for diesel
    Standard rate of 50 for ev

e.

You forgot cyclists there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

You forgot cyclists there ....
    ... And you forgot pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mondeo wrote: »
    Its amazing how just across the pond there are Lambos and Ferraris everywhere...Parts of London are really nice to walk around just to see whats parked on the street.
    Do you think it might have anything to do with how Russian oligarch billionaires and Saudi oil sheiks are buying up all the good houses in London, more than the car tax system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Caquas

mikeecho wrote: »
    82786121_3038359656174714_4400421980206006272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=60W6aIsOOOsAX_q6I0L&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&_nc_tp=12&oh=fb8a9bed879431857f63755f4dd9d292&oe=5ECC79AB
    Great find!

Amazing how this has entered into our political mythology as an example of “auction politics”. No one ever mentions the main reason we had a crisis a few years later - public spending went out of control.

No, it’s always tax cuts that are “reckless” but no spending proposal is too lavish to find political backers, no social problem which cannot call forth more spending.

Have a look at the parties’ manifestos: regardless of their political hue, all are chock-full of increased spending with at most a few tax cuts thrown in for balance. Of course, the tax promises will be the first to be dropped if the economy faces headwinds. Whatever the “green agenda” actually does, it will increase the taxes will government takes from motorists, even the most eco-friendly.

Caquas wrote: »
    Whatever the “green agenda” actually does, it will increase the taxes will government takes from motorists, even the most eco-friendly.
    There are no eco-friendly motorists. Even EVs cause significant pollution with tyre particles and brake particles, along with the damage caused by manufacturing and disposal.

Some motorists are less eco-harmful than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I do remember the post 77 election car tax. Under 2 litres it was a fiver and over that riding on some sort of exponential curve. The Irish governments, no matter which flavour have always hated to have any of the common people in any sort of desirable car.

They did talk about 8 horsepower, 12 horsepower, 16 horsepower cars in those days. It does look like it was one horsepower per ,125 cc but it possibly could be related to the old RAC equivalence formula. It was not quit directly related to engine capacity and it favoured long stroke engines hence the number of low revving long stroke engines that came from the British manufactures.

Funny enough if you talked about BHP to most people in Ireland in those days the would tell you to STFU and talk about normal horsepower.

There are no eco-friendly motorists.

Should I swap my plugin hybrid for a V8 then?

By that logic there is no eco friendly anything. The only way to be truly green is to top yourself.

stimpson wrote: »
    Should I swap my plugin hybrid for a V8 then?

By that logic there is no eco friendly anything. The only way to be truly green is to top yourself.

Did you miss this bit of my post?

"Some motorists are less eco-harmful than others. "

Green party with 10 seats now. It looks like there will be a 'Green' government whatever happens. Less reliance on fossil fuels hopefully.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Green party with 10 seats now. It looks like there will be a 'Green' government whatever happens. Less reliance on fossil fuels hopefully.

Left wing government = lots more tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, getting ahead of yourself there Eamon.

All the Greens know how to do is increase taxes in the name of climate change. If you think they will do away with motor tax and just stick it on fuel then you really are as out of touch with reality as thinking this poll gives a mandate. They will increase both.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Should be a flat rate across the board
    We pay enough tax at the pumps as it it
    Whoever drives more pays more
    Between overpriced car tax
    Fuel
    Insurance
    I think the Irish motorist pays enough tax for the dunghole roads we use

• Advertisement

firstlight wrote: »
    Should be a flat rate across the board
    We pay enough tax at the pumps as it it
    Whoever drives more pays more
    Between overpriced car tax
    Fuel
    Insurance
    I think the Irish motorist pays enough tax for the dunghole roads we use

Probably said before but there is no link between car tax and car use at present that must change and will soon.

Sinn Fein will sort it out.

Whoever is in they will need the greens.

And you know what happened the Greens the last time they got into bed with the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Probably said before but there is no link between car tax and car use at present that must change and will soon.

Unless you're somehow managing to buy duty free fuel you are already paying more tax the more you use.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Unless you're somehow managing to buy duty free fuel you are already paying more tax the more you use.

Sorry, I don't understand.

There’s a huge amount of tax contained in the price of fuel. The more fuel you buy, the more tax you pay.

You really should do a bit of research.

Breakdown of tax on fuel:
    https://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/petrol-prices.aspx

Motor tax is an ownership tax. Fuel tax is a usage tax so the more fuel you use the more you pay tax on it.

Edit. 12 Seats at the end must now be in with any new government. A good time to increase fuel excise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

They will alright.
    They'll need to double it to get rid of property tax

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement