Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any idea what way Clare will line out against Westmeath? Unfortunately I think will be struggle without Brennan, Malone, O'Donoghue and Fitzgerald. I wonder could Eoin Cleary persuade his brother to link up with footballers? :) Cathal O'Connor, Ciaran Russell, Eoin Cleary and Keelan Sexton will need show leadership and raise their game to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Any idea what way Clare will line out against Westmeath? Unfortunately I think will be struggle without Brennan, Malone, O'Donoghue and Fitzgerald. I wonder could Eoin Cleary persuade his brother to link up with footballers? :) Cathal O'Connor, Ciaran Russell, Eoin Cleary and Keelan Sexton will need show leadership and raise their game to the next level.

team on sunday will probably be (based on mcgrath cup games )

stephen ryan

dean ryan, cillian brennan , kevin hartnett

cian o'dea ,gordon kelly , conal o'haniffin

ciaran russell , cathal o'connor

keelan sexton , eoin cleary , dermot coughlan or gearoid o'brien

gavin cooney , david tubridy , jack morrissey

subs (all players that played in the mcgrath cup)

nigel murry (goalkeeper)

jack sheedy (backs)
    sean collins (backs)
    ciaran morrissey (backs)
    dale masterson (backs )
    pearse lillis (backs)
    alan sweeney (backs)
    eoin collins (backs)
    kieran o'brian (backs)

darragh bohannon ( midfield)
    david lernihan (midfield)

emmitt mcmahon (forwards)
    martin o'leary (forwards)
    darren o'neill (forwards)
    joe mcgann (forwards)
    ciaran downes (forwards)
    cillian rouine (forwards)
    aidan davidson (forwards)
    dermot coughlan or gearoid o'brien (forwards)

no idea who will make up the bench , a good number of players will still be tied up with the u20s , gearoid o'brian is shading the final wing forward position in my opinion ahead of dermot coughlan

scorers from the mcgrath cup ( only a hand full of players played in both games )

Gavin Cooney 2-2, 2f
    Keelan Sexton 2-1
    Eoin Cleary 0-6, 4f,
    Cian O’Dea 1-0,
    Jack Morrissey 0-3, (1f),
    Gearoid O’Brien 0-3),
    Dale Masterson 0-1,
    Dermot Coughlan 0-1,
    David Tubridy (0-1f)
    Aidan Davidson (0-1 mk)
    Pearse Lillis 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

very hard to get excited about the opening round of the national hurling league game in the park ,

to be fair to carlow they have the one thing we badly need is a prolific free taker in martin kavanagh , probably one of the best in the country to be fair , had a super campaign with st mullins run to the leinster club final , he has the ability to keep this one close on his own , the lack of support on the scoreboard is the Achilles heal for the rising leinster side who to be fair have been excellent in recent years in there development

but given its the start of the brian lohan era in the park i highly doubt there will be many hiding spots available , the performance against limerick was flat , but the performances either side of that game have been encouraging , a 1 point challenge loss to waterford last week and a narrow win over tipperary before christmas ,

this is the type of game for the likes of stephan o'holloran , paudi fitzpatrick , mikey o'malley niall deasy and colin guilfoyle to set down an early marker for the year ahead , this is a great test for the fringe players to put the hands up for later in the year , would also like to see gary cooney ryan taylor and the like start ahead of tony kelly and podge respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

stephen ryan

nigel murry (goalkeeper)

jack sheedy (backs)
    sean collins (backs)
    ciaran morrissey (backs)
    dale masterson (backs )
    pearse lillis (backs)
    alan sweeney (backs)
    eoin collins (backs)
    kieran o'brian (backs)

joe mcgann (forwards)
    ciaran downes (forwards)

no idea who will make up the bench , a good number of players will still be tied up with the u20s , gearoid o'brian is shading the final wing forward position in my opinion ahead of dermot coughlan

scorers from the mcgrath cup ( only a hand full of players played in both games )

Gavin Cooney 2-2, 2f
    Keelan Sexton 2-1
    Eoin Cleary 0-6, 4f,
    Cian O’Dea 1-0,
    Gearoid O’Brien 0-3),
    Dale Masterson 0-1,
    Dermot Coughlan 0-1,
    David Tubridy (0-1f)
    Aidan Davidson (0-1 mk)
    Pearse Lillis 0-1

Darragh Bohannon sadly no longer in the panel, it appears.

very hard to get excited about the opening round of the national hurling league game in the park ,

to be fair to carlow they have the one thing we badly need is a prolific free taker in martin kavanagh , probably one of the best in the country to be fair , had a super campaign with st mullins run to the leinster club final , he has the ability to keep this one close on his own , the lack of support on the scoreboard is the Achilles heal for the rising leinster side who to be fair have been excellent in recent years in there development

but given its the start of the brian lohan era in the park i highly doubt there will be many hiding spots available , the performance against limerick was flat , but the performances either side of that game have been encouraging , a 1 point challenge loss to waterford last week and a narrow win over tipperary before christmas ,

this is the type of game for the likes of stephan o'holloran , paudi fitzpatrick , mikey o'malley niall deasy and colin guilfoyle to set down an early marker for the year ahead , this is a great test for the fringe players to put the hands up for later in the year , would also like to see gary cooney ryan taylor and the like start ahead of tony kelly and podge respectively

Looking forward to going to the Park on Sunday and seeing the subtle changes that Lohan and his management are trying to implement.

Already we are seeing the "3 man inside forward line" which is long overdue. There were many positives last Friday against Waterford like what fellow poster carter10 mentioned like "good stick passing" and "good movement between the forwards". A more direct approach is also what has been coming through. We've played Galway, Tipp, Limerick and Waterford since December and generally the mood in the camp is a happy one.

Obviously its early days but those are some of the signs, of what style of play that Brian is implementing along with Sean Tracey, Ken Ralph, James Moran as part of the Wolfe Tones na Sionna's legend management team.

We should have no problem in accounting for Carlow, but remember they did manage a draw against Galway, in last year's league and have many of the good St Mullins and Mount Leinster Rangers club teams are on the Barrowsiders panel.

However our poor discipline and our generally poor tackling have come to the fore again. The concession of silly frees, is of major concern and we do have a problem of teams coming at pace. Our back-line gets caught out and exposed far too easily, due to our lack of pace there and that really is an major issue that was one of the previous management's biggest blights throughout their 3 year reign as joint managers.

A fresh start has been the narrative of the Clare players so far re the Lohan era. Now is time for that positivity to be expressed on the field and hopefully the result, but most especially the performance will be what they will be judged. The long journey to what we will hope will conclude in Croke Park on the third Sunday in August, begins at 2 pm at Cusack Park this Sunday. Best of luck to them.

• Advertisement

Hearing that O'Malley has left the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

stephen ryan

nigel murry (goalkeeper)

jack sheedy (backs)
    sean collins (backs)
    ciaran morrissey (backs)
    dale masterson (backs )
    pearse lillis (backs)
    alan sweeney (backs)
    eoin collins (backs)
    kieran o'brian (backs)

joe mcgann (forwards)
    ciaran downes (forwards)

Gavin Cooney 2-2, 2f
    Keelan Sexton 2-1
    Eoin Cleary 0-6, 4f,
    Cian O’Dea 1-0,
    Gearoid O’Brien 0-3),
    Dale Masterson 0-1,
    Dermot Coughlan 0-1,
    David Tubridy (0-1f)
    Aidan Davidson (0-1 mk)
    Pearse Lillis 0-1

I think it will more than likely be the same fullback line as last year of Hartnett, Brennan and Kelly. It appeared in the McGrath cup that Pearse Lillis is going to be asked to fill in at number 6 to bridge the big void left by Aarron Fitzgerald. It will be two then from O Hanifein, Collins and Ryan for the half back positions. We are desperately dependent on Cathal O' Connor in the middle of the field and again from McGrath cup it looks like Ciaran Russell will be asked to partner him. We have very little cover for this vital area. Cian O Dea was excellent last year played as an extra defender with a inside forward number on his back and I can't see this changing. I would imagine Cleary, Tubridy and Sexton are certain starters and the last two positions will be fought for between Gearoid O Brien, Dermot Coughlan and Gavin Cooney. Hopefully there is fresh blood on the panel that can surprise when called upon otherwise there is no strength in depth and a couple of injuries will lead to crisis. Stephen Ryan was the man in possession of the number 1 jersey in the championship last year, Eamon Tubridy and Pierce De Loughrey also saw game time in the leauge

Brian Lohan well done. He has appointed Clonlara's John Conlon as the 2020 Clare senior hurling captain. A gent and a class hurler too who always gave his last drop on the pitch. Brilliant appointment that will get the full support of the Clare panel and supporters alike!

An Clar Abu!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Does anyone know if a starting 15 has been announced for the weekend's game against Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Feenie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a starting 15 has been announced for the weekend's game against Carlow

No, it hasn't yet.

• Advertisement

does anyone know where one would be able to watch Kilkenny vs Clare in the 2004 Quarter-Final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

Very interesting Clare selection. I like some of the ideas Lohan is going with.

The spine of the team has been completely revamped from the D&G era. The big one really is whether Cleary can emerge a solid full back for Clare, a position were desperately short in. I really hope he can hold his own there, because having Davy Mc out the field can be a real asset for us, with his athleticism and skill. I don't want by the end of March, Lohan having to resort to putting Davy Mc back to the full back spot.

Pat O'Connor at center back is definitely worth a look. He doesn't really have the pace for corner back, I can't imagine him going down to Cork in the summer and being able to keep up with a Alan Cadogan or a Brian Turnbull. Two of his best attributes though is his reading of the game and his stickwork. At center back he can utilize this. Its interesting too Stephen O'Halloran is getting the nod, he is a solid back. My big takeaway is I think Lohan is the type of manager who will pick true defenders over loose, skillful backs. Players like Seadna Morey, Davy Mc, David Fitz look like they will have to find positions further up the field.

Davy McInerney midfield will be worth a watch. He plays there a lot for Tulla. He has all the tools to excel here, it will be a matter of how he settles into his role.

In the forwards, we look really light and will be reliant on Conlon and O'Donnell. Diarmuid Ryan is sitting this one out because of Fitzgibbon, but he is a very important player. I'll be very interested to see how David Fitz does further up the field. I think he might be better suited to playing wing forward though. In thinking of someone like Gearoid Hegarty of Limerick, who was a converted half back, maybe Lohan can have similar success with Fitzgearld. I think Reidy will start this year at wing forward and play a grafter type role most intercounty teams utilize with one of their wing forwards.

Overall, happy to have the hurling back and looking forward to see how the team gets on this spring.

letowski wrote: »
    Very interesting Clare selection. I like some of the ideas Lohan is going with.

The spine of the team has been completely revamped from the D&G era. The big one really is whether Cleary can emerge a solid full back for Clare, a position were desperately short in. I really hope he can hold his own there, because having Davy Mc out the field can be a real asset for us, with his athleticism and skill. I don't want by the end of March, Lohan having to resort to putting Davy Mc back to the full back spot.

Pat O'Connor at center back is definitely worth a look. He doesn't really have the pace for corner back, I can't imagine him going down to Cork in the summer and being able to keep up with a Alan Cadogan or a Brian Turnbull. Two of his best attributes though is his reading of the game and his stickwork. At center back he can utilize this. Its interesting too Stephen O'Halloran is getting the nod, he is a solid back. My big takeaway is I think Lohan is the type of manager who will pick true defenders over loose, skillful backs. Players like Seadna Morey, Davy Mc, David Fitz look like they will have to find positions further up the field.

Davy McInerney midfield will be worth a watch. He plays there a lot for Tulla. He has all the tools to excel here, it will be a matter of how he settles into his role.

In the forwards, we look really light and will be reliant on Conlon and O'Donnell. Diarmuid Ryan is sitting this one out because of Fitzgibbon, but he is a very important player. I'll be very interested to see how David Fitz does further up the field. I think he might be better suited to playing wing forward though. In thinking of someone like Gearoid Hegarty of Limerick, who was a converted half back, maybe Lohan can have similar success with Fitzgearld. I think Reidy will start this year at wing forward and play a grafter type role most intercounty teams utilize with one of their wing forwards.

Overall, happy to have the hurling back and looking forward to see how the team gets on this spring.

I think personally Conor Cleary has the physicality and the bravery to play in full back or in the corner. In general I think Brian should tell him to become a rock in defense, strong and fearless.
    Tony Kelly a brilliant choice in midfield as I've said before. David McInereny is an interesting choice in midfield but I suppose it makes sense. I think he'll be put back defensively. Somewhere on the wing or in the corner seem ideal of Davy MC.
    In general though with our backs I think it's important that they're flexible. We would certain backs to be able to wrap around certain enemy forwards. It's been often commented that Morey is the ideal marker for Joe Canning, and I can give that credit. But it's the same sort of things with some of our other backs. I can see Davy Mc on Gillane and Pat Horgan.

Up in the forwards everything is sold-the only thing I'm questioning is putting Ryan Taylor in full forward, he seems more fit for half or midfield. Ian Galvin aswell seems like he should switch position and go closer to goal. David Fitzgerald is a good choice for half forward with the style of point scoring we've seen come out with from wing back, but I think wing forward puts him more in his comfort zone. In general though I don't know much about Fitzgerald, assuming he's been used for zonal defense it isn't a bad idea to move him into the forwards. He does do very well at wing back.

Feenie wrote: »
    I think personally Conor Cleary has the physicality and the bravery to play in full back or in the corner. In general I think Brian should tell him to become a rock in defense, strong and fearless.
    Tony Kelly a brilliant choice in midfield as I've said before. David McInereny is an interesting choice in midfield but I suppose it makes sense. I think he'll be put back defensively. Somewhere on the wing or in the corner seem ideal of Davy MC.
    In general though with our backs I think it's important that they're flexible. We would certain backs to be able to wrap around certain enemy forwards. It's been often commented that Morey is the ideal marker for Joe Canning, and I can give that credit. But it's the same sort of things with some of our other backs. I can see Davy Mc on Gillane and Pat Horgan.

Up in the forwards everything is sold-the only thing I'm questioning is putting Ryan Taylor in full forward, he seems more fit for half or midfield. Ian Galvin aswell seems like he should switch position and go closer to goal. David Fitzgerald is a good choice for half forward with the style of point scoring we've seen come out with from wing back, but I think wing forward puts him more in his comfort zone. In general though I don't know much about Fitzgerald, assuming he's been used for zonal defense it isn't a bad idea to move him into the forwards. He does do very well at wing back.

The interesting thing with the Tony Kelly and Davy McInerney midfield is what happens when Colm Galvin returns from injury. Does McInerney go to the backline. Kelly and Galvin have played at midfield a good few times together before with very mixed results. I think the reason Davy Inerney is being brought out is to compliment their styles, similarly how Micheal Breen compliments Noel McGrath or going further back, how Mick Fennelly complimented James Cha Fitzpatrick. I'm still on the Tony Kelly roaming corner forward train, but there's no doubt he could be very effective playing along side a player like David McInerney at midfield also.

Its good Lohan is trying these things out anyway.

letowski wrote: »
    The interesting thing with the Tony Kelly and Davy McInerney midfield is what happens when Colm Galvin returns from injury. Does McInerney go to the backline. Kelly and Galvin have played at midfield a good few times together before with very mixed results. I think the reason Davy Inerney is being brought out is to compliment their styles, similarly how Micheal Breen compliments Noel McGrath or going further back, how Mick Fennelly complimented James Cha Fitzpatrick. I'm still on the Tony Kelly roaming corner forward train, but there's no doubt he could be very effective playing along side a player like David McInerney at midfield also.

Its good Lohan is trying these things out anyway.

Lohan has a really tough job on his hands, I admire him and hope it goes well for him at least he gets a gentle start tomorrow. The majority of that team is the same old same old and they have been found wanting for a number of years, he has shuffled them around a bit positionally but it's now or never for a lot of those players hopefully he is able to knock a tune out of them, but I would be doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Lohan has a really tough job on his hands, I admire him and hope it goes well for him at least he gets a gentle start tomorrow. The majority of that team is the same old same old and they have been found wanting for a number of years, he has shuffled them around a bit positionally but it's now or never for a lot of those players hopefully he is able to knock a tune out of them, but I would be doubtful

No team changes overnight. None of these players are carrying weight or lacking application. The depth of talent is the problem and to break the predictability we had. Last year against Cork, Tony kelly terrorised Cork, but as soon as we scored they cut down the wings and opened us up again.

We still lack a key natural centre forward/full forward, Conlon can't play both and we need a general who dictates the structure of inside forward play.

We lack a natural full back/centre back. Last year when Conor Cleary wasn't there Clare didn't have a structure, playing him a full back robs us of a presence at Centre back. There is talent coming, but it may take a while yet.

A brave decision would be to play Cleary at centre field, which I think may be his best position. But that leaves two holes to fill!

Lohan has a lot of work to do to change the dynamic and to deal with the strong running game of Limerick, more direct style of Tip, and the Cork team who are in the same boat, but seem to do things much more easily that Clare do. Waterford have yet to figure out which way they want to go.

Figerty wrote: »
    No team changes overnight. None of these players are carrying weight or lacking application. The depth of talent is the problem and to break the predictability we had. Last year against Cork, Tony kelly terrorised Cork, but as soon as we scored they cut down the wings and opened us up again.

We still lack a key natural centre forward/full forward, Conlon can't play both and we need a general who dictates the structure of inside forward play.

We lack a natural full back/centre back. Last year when Conor Cleary wasn't there Clare didn't have a structure, playing him a full back robs us of a presence at Centre back. There is talent coming, but it may take a while yet.

A brave decision would be to play Cleary at centre field, which I think may be his best position. But that leaves two holes to fill!

Lohan has a lot of work to do to change the dynamic and to deal with the strong running game of Limerick, more direct style of Tip, and the Cork team who are in the same boat, but seem to do things much more easily that Clare do. Waterford have yet to figure out which way they want to go.

I agree with you and I am not critical of any individual players anyone that is good enough to be selected for inter county these days is very talented and in superb condition, but as you pointed out we are lacking top class talent in key positions, central positions, the spine of the team. That is why Lohan has a monumental task on his hands. But in his playing days he never baulked a challenge and hopefully he can do the same here.

Really like Brian Lohan's decision to not involve any of the Clare players, who are still playing with their colleges in Fitzgibbon Cup in tomorrow's Carlow match. Compare that to DF and his anti player-welfare approach of playing Fitz Cup lads in Walsh Cup and playing again 24 hours later with their colleges.

The word in the Clare senior hurling camp is most positive, and dare I say it we could see a more traditional and orthodox approach with 3 men inside and 15 v 15, with NO SWEEPERS too. That's the hope anyways. Best to luck to Brian, the management and players for the upcoming season.

In the next half hour St Flannans will take on Our Ladys Templemore in the Harty Cup semi-final at Nenagh at 1 pm. Best of luck to the Ennis School.

A big day awaits the East Clare combo of Scariff and Ogonelloe in the All-Ireland club camogie semi-final against Slaughneil of Derry tomorrow. East Clare is buzzing with excitement and here's hoping that they will put up at the very least a huge performance and see where that takes them. Throw in at Donaghmore-Ashbourne Gaa pitch in Meath is at 2 pm.

We also have the Clare U20 footballers in action at 3 today against Offaly, in the final of the Liam O'Connor Cup at Miltown Malbay.

With the Clare senior footballers also in action too against Westmeath in the football league, we are all set for what will hopefully be a most positive weekend for Clare GAA.

HON THE BANNER!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Really like Brian Lohan's decision to not involve any of the Clare players, who are still playing with their colleges in Fitzgibbon Cup in tomorrow's Carlow match. Compare that to DF and his anti player-welfare approach of playing Fitz Cup lads in Walsh Cup and playing again 24 hours later with their colleges.

The word in the Clare senior hurling camp is most positive, and dare I say it we could see a more traditional and orthodox approach with 3 men inside and 15 v 15, with NO SWEEPERS too. That's the hope anyways. Best to luck to Brian, the management and players for the upcoming season.

In the next half hour St Flannans will take on Our Ladys Templemore in the Harty Cup semi-final at Nenagh at 1 pm. Best of luck to the Ennis School.

A big day awaits the East Clare combo of Scariff and Ogonelloe in the All-Ireland club camogie semi-final against Slaughneil of Derry tomorrow. East Clare is buzzing with excitement and here's hoping that they will put up at the very least a huge performance and see where that takes them. Throw in at Donaghmore-Ashbourne Gaa pitch in Meath is at 2 pm.

We also have the Clare U20 footballers in action at 3 today against Offaly, in the final of the Liam O'Connor Cup at Miltown Malbay.

With the Clare senior footballers also in action too against Westmeath in the football league, we are all set for what will hopefully be a most positive weekend for Clare GAA.

HON THE BANNER!!
    you sound like a PR person employed by the Clare County Board.

you sound like a PR person employed by the Clare County Board.

Ha! Believe me if the CCB heard me say some of my opinions about them, then I would last no time there and that's a fact!!!

In other words let me point to you that I've no time to be a defacto PR or any involvement with an institution that I fundamentally despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Ha! Believe me if the CCB heard me say some of my opinions about them, then I would last no time there and that's a fact!!!

In other words let me point to you that I've no time to be a defacto PR or any involvement with an institution that I fundamentally despise.

I don't despise the institution.. I dislike it's leadership!

Figerty wrote: »
    I don't despise the institution.. I dislike it's leadership!

When I refer to "institution", its not referring to the great work that these coaches involved with clubs, county dev. squads and those involved with the grassroots of Clare GAA, let me clarify that.

It feels that Pat Fitz, Joe Cooney and the rest of the CCB top brass, sort of own Clare GAA, its their way and if others don't agree it, then they get alienated from Clare set-ups and any involvement in Clare GAA in general.

That is my interpretation of what the word "institution" means IMO, when referring to Clare GAA matters.

HT in Nenagh in the Harty Cup semi-final

Our Ladys Templemore 1-7 St Flannans 0-9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great win by Flannans

Wow!!

St Flannans 0-18 Our Ladys Templemore 1-13 FT

Cian Galvin. Incredible man and player, inspirational stuff from the Clarecastle man.

However I still for some reason don't like their "sweeper" system and some of their structure. To be fair Cian Galvin plays that role incredibly well, but I'm all for letting young lads hurl, without having this obsession of tactics, video analysis, systems etc. The influence of DF is there for all to see.

Next up for Flannans its CBC Cork in the final of the Harty Cup, to be played in mid February.

Congrats to one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭KIB4Life

Clare are once again being predicted for relegation from Division 2 by many experts in the national media. Hopefully once again Clare can prove them wrong and at the very least consolidate their place in Division 2.

There’s no doubt that Clare are missing some superb players in Gary, Jamie, Yank and Aaron Fitzgerald, but like Colm Collins said in an interview they have added Ciaran Russell, Keelan, Pearse Lillis who all weren’t available for Clare in last years Championship and Dermot Coughlan was only coming back from injury, so them four players certainly won’t weaken the team in any way. So as Colm Collins there is no doom and gloom for the Clare team.

There is no team in the Division that Clare should fear. Also other teams in the Division have had key players gone from their panel such as Laois who have lost the Kingston’s and Steven Attride.

Cavan have lost Dara McVeety, Conor Moynagh, Killian Clarke, Conor Rahill and Michael Argue

Fermanagh will be without key forwards and free taker Sean Quigley.

Roscommon will have to do without Conor Cox for the first few games who is injured.

Westmeath have Ger Egan and Kieran Martin our through injury.

Kildare have lost Ben McCormack, Mark Dempsey and James Murray. But Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Niall Kelly and Johnny Byrne have returned to the panel so like Clare, they have got quality players returning back into the panel.

Armagh really are the only team in the Division that haven’t lost any players from what I have heard anyone. I would tip them for promotion, as I feel from Midfield up that they have some real quality with the Likes on the O’Neill’s, Jarlath Og Burns, Stefan Campbell, Jamie Clarke, Rory Grugan and Andrew Murnin just to name a few are all players with the potential to cause damage to team on their day.

I feel overall Clare should be at least be targeting wins against Westmeath, Cavan, Fermanagh and Laois, which should be enough to see them gain safety.

This years for Clare I feel is similar to 2018 when Clare had a huge number of players who weren’t available from the 2017 panel for a variety of reasons such as retirement, injury, travel and players such as Gordon Kelly, Jamie Malone and Ciaran Russell being suspended that year.

Clare drew two games that year against Tipp and Cavan at home, which were both games that Clare should have won and if Clare had won them games they won have got promoted to Division 1, so if any manager in the country can deal with losing players and bringing through players that Colm Collins is probably the man that can do it.

I agree with you and I am not critical of any individual players anyone that is good enough to be selected for inter county these days is very talented and in superb condition, but as you pointed out we are lacking top class talent in key positions, central positions, the spine of the team. That is why Lohan has a monumental task on his hands. But in his playing days he never baulked a challenge and hopefully he can do the same here.

Very true. Full back and Center forward are the two positions we badly need players to emerge there. It's been a long time actually since Clare last produced a natural quality center forward. Kelly is more of a hybrid center forward to way he roams out of the position and doesn't contest puckouts.

Center back too, but I think the importance of the center back isn't as big as it was 20 years ago. Back in those days, you needed your 6 to be commanding, dominant in the air and good reader of the game. Nowadays, center backs don't really mark their men and just sit deep in front of the full back to protect him. The role is different now. Not many Seanie Mc, Ken McGraths, Ronan Curran's been produced by counties nowadays, which is a little sad to be honest.

• Advertisement

Advertisement