Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I see Mackey has come out and said he's looking forward to stag parties and random holidays! More power to the lad because he was a great servant to the county but I don't think anyone reading that can ask why he isn't in there.

I also saw a few Castlerahan people whingeing on Facebook when the squad was announced that there's only one Castlerahan player on the panel (a Meathman at that!) from the league and championship double winners. I don't see what people want Graham to do though - he can't force players in. My understanding is that a number were approached and weren't interested.
    rrs wrote: »
    Stephen Smith looks a bit lightweight for County Senior. He's talented, but against a physical team like Armagh he could find it tough.
    Pearse not involved this year. Not asked back?

1 player from Castlerahan on panel of 33. 2 from Ramor. The standard of County find was poor but a few more players from those clubs should probaly be involved

What players would you ask in? Because my understanding is a lot of those who have been asked from each club are not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

Fergal Reilly from Castlerahan. Maybe Paul Smith. He's a guard so can't commit i think.
    Adam O Connell Ramor. He's working in Cork so non runner. Mark McGee and James Brady
    Ado Cole but he can't commit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Fergal Reilly from Castlerahan. Maybe Paul Smith. He's a guard so can't commit i think.
    Adam O Connell Ramor. He's working in Cork so non runner. Mark McGee and James Brady
    Ado Cole but he can't commit either.

Strange that 7 or 8 Crosserlough lads were in last year, and theres only 2 now as far as I know.

Smith is a Guard....living and/or working in Louth I believe so thats prob a non runner. Fergal Reilly was in before....surprised Wright or maybe Daly arent in....maybe they were asked and couldnt/wouldnt commit

They had a bigger panel last year, over 40 players. There was only really McVeety and Rehill from Crosserlough who were regulars. Pearse Smith and Stephen featured in a couple of league games.

Some clubs had players on the County panel who weren't getting game, time and still not playing League football with the club.

They had a bigger panel last year, over 40 players. There was only really McVeety and Rehill from Crosserlough who were regulars. Pearse Smith and Stephen featured in a couple of league games.

Some clubs had players on the County panel who weren't getting game, time and still not playing League football with the club.

Thats a fair complaint....how can a manager justify have 40 lads and not let any play club games.......you pick the 26 and let the other guys play club games....and have the club games the day before a couny match in case 1 or 2 are needed for cover in the 26

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    The WeAreCavan pair talk about Stephen Smith as if he's a beast of a player physically. I thought for a minute I had mistaken who he was, saw him in the first McKenna Cup game and he looked decidedly average in size with a lower than average level of aggression and willingness to get stuck in. The same goes for Connolly, he was easily outmuscled a few times in that game by Armagh defenders (more willing to get stuck in though).

I'm very worried about that starting team. I don't think Paddy Meade has shown anything to suggest he's capable of being a corner back at this level. I don't think relying on Martin Reilly as an inside forward will work out. I think Armagh will dominate us physically and rack up a big score against that defence. The handicap is Armagh -3 and i'd be very surprised if they don't cover that with some ease.
    Hope the lads can pull something out of the bag because Armagh are an extremely dislikable team both on the field, on the line and in the stands. I won't make it on Saturday but I would dearly love to see them silenced.

Re Smith, I think its a case of the We Are Cavan boys building up players again and Paul Fitz having a particular soft spot for handballers.

I can hear the shrill cries about ''Soupy'' now! If there was ever a player I hated just because of his nickname, its Stefan Campbell. It must be the sunshine supporters but it seems as if he's the only player some Armagh supporters know!

I was fairly optimistic about our chances until I heard Graham's interview and then saw the starting team. I had hoped that at least McLoughlin and Smith would be in the backline to shore it up and add some experience. Add the pair of them and Killian Brady and I think we have a decent backline with Faulkner, Brady and Kiernan.

That said, I'll travel down and support the lads. This is what we have as a county. These are the lads willing to put on the jersey. You've posters even here talking about needing more Ramor and Crosserlough players and then listing out names that it's well known won't commit.

These are the 33 lads willing to give it their all and so be it. I still think we'll remain in Division 2, I just can't see promotion. Armagh, Roscommon and Kildare will be the top three, in whatever order I don't know, but two of that three will be promoted and I'd hope we'll be fourth.

It's not well known. Do you know if James Brady and Mark McGee can commit. I didn't see it published in the Celt..

Obviously the 33 are there deserve the support and willing to put in the work to be there.

It's not well known. Do you know if James Brady and Mark McGee can commit. I didn't see it published in the Celt..

Obviously the 33 are there deserve the support and willing to put in the work to be there.

It's debatable whether those two lads should be in there. Of all the others you named - Wright, Reilly, Smith, Ado Cole, O'Connell - and that should be in there, all were offered the chance and rejected it.

The only player I can think of worth getting in that would go from what I hear is Enda Flanagan. Mickey had been in contact with him last year when he was injured so I'm not sure why he isn't in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Best of luck to Cavan this evening in Armagh. Disappointed not to be able to make the trip later. A positive result would really silence some of the critics and given the reports on how hard the lads are working, then hopefully they get their just reward. The new faces in the panel have a great opportunity now to show their ability and hopefully many of them take the chance.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    It's debatable whether those two lads should be in there. Of all the others you named - Wright, Reilly, Smith, Ado Cole, O'Connell - and that should be in there, all were offered the chance and rejected it.

The only player I can think of worth getting in that would go from what I hear is Enda Flanagan. Mickey had been in contact with him last year when he was injured so I'm not sure why he isn't in now.

Never mentioned Wright. And i don't think Flanagan is any better then what's in there.

No Burns in the Armagh team. Jamie Clarke starting either.

• Advertisement

Never mentioned Wright. And i don't think Flanagan is any better then what's in there.

No Burns in the Armagh team. Jamie Clarke starting either.

I wouldn’t be taking much notice of the named Armagh team. However, the lads on We Are Cavan did mention that Burns may be heading for Australia in April so might be used sparingly in the League whilst they find a replacement for him.

Clarke is supposedly suspended from being sent off in a challenge game v Carlow.
    Armagh full back line isn't great. If Cavan take advantage of the advance mark they could do damage.

10 to 0-5 at half time to Armagh. Scoring, not surprisingly, is our issue whereas they are shooting the lights out. Think they had 6 points after 10 mins or so. Conor Madden & Conor Smith both gone off. Ref letting a lot of pulling and off the ball stuff go. No Niall Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Its embarrassing now at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

celt262 wrote: »
    Its embarrassing now at this stage

Was always on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Listening to it on Northern sound. was thinking at half time when i heard terry hyland interviewed after the leitrim derry game that this man will be back managing cavan again in the future. taking us out of division 3 maybe??

ruwithme wrote: »
    Listening to it on Northern sound. was thinking at half time when i heard terry hyland interviewed after the leitrim derry game that this man will be back managing cavan again in the future. taking us out of division 3 maybe??

I wouldn’t go that far. We were in it until half time despite a silly first half black card for Stephen Smith.

Then it all went to crap, McKiernan fumbles a ball and they get a goal from it. Faulkner black carded and then James Smith came on and joined him two minutes later. Cavan down to 13 men just when we needed to try and launch a comeback.

Our naivety is a huge problem. We were just stupid. Armagh were much more schooled at the dark arts.

I wouldn’t go that far. We were in it until half time despite a silly first half black card for Stephen Smith.

Then it all went to crap, McKiernan fumbles a ball and they get a goal from it. Faulkner black carded and then James Smith cane on and joined him two minutes later. Cavan down to 13 men just when we needed to try and launch a comeback.

Our naivety is a huge problem. We were just stupid. Armagh were much more schooled at the dark arts.

The next couple of games will tell.
    I didn’t have much hope after the hammerings from Donegal and Tyrone. Wide open in those games and players leaving since.

There was some on here writing off Armagh before the League. I'll have whatever they are smoking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Glad that one is over, it sounded bad on the radio

• Advertisement

The next couple of games will tell.
    I didn’t have much hope after the hammerings from Donegal and Tyrone. Wide open in those games and players leaving since.

If we can’t beat Westmeath at home next weekend, we don’t deserve to be in the Division.

The worry now is injuries. Niall Murray didn’t start tonight and it was clear Conor Smith should not have played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

God that looked shocking on the Sunday game, the mistakes looked really really poor
    Onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

A couple of black cards last night and possibly should have gotten another one looking at the highlights on League Sunday. It is very worrying if poor discipline on the field is going to be a feature again this year. Little chance of Cavan getting the necessary results if playing periods of games with 13/14 players. Lots to work to be done this week at training. Next week’s game in Breffni is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Next week is massive now, lose that and Cavan are in serious bother.

Will be a dogfight to stay up. The other 3 games in the Division were close yesterday. Kildare got a few late scores after Fermanagh lost a player to win by 4.
    Westmeath are a physical team too, so will be nothing easy next Saturday. They have Ray Connellan back from AFL, suppose to havr played very well yesterday.

If we can’t beat Westmeath at home next weekend, we don’t deserve to be in the Division.

The worry now is injuries. Niall Murray didn’t start tonight and it was clear Conor Smith should not have played.

Beating anyone in the division is not a given.

Cavan struggled with Armagh in last year’s Championship with a full confident team before receiving hammerings from Donegal and Tyrone. Saturday night was another hammering.
    Confidence is very low.
    Some people lose the run of themselves thinking Cavan are better than they actually are, especially some of the players.

That was as poor as Ive ever seen. 10-5 at ht but totally outplayed....was told before the game that Cavan had done something like 50 sessions this season already....yet Armagh were faster fitter and stronger.

Their forwards were working to a plan, and got on the ball a lot easier. We didnt seem to have any sort of a plan when we had the ball......apart from keep wide and recycle back.

We will be lucky to survive Div 2

That was as poor as Ive ever seen. 10-5 at ht but totally outplayed....was told before the game that Cavan had done something like 50 sessions this season already....yet Armagh were faster fitter and stronger.

Their forwards were working to a plan, and got on the ball a lot easier. We didnt seem to have any sort of a plan when we had the ball......apart from keep wide and recycle back.

We will be lucky to survive Div 2

I wouldn't read into all the negativity. I know a good few Armagh people from my work and Armagh have been training since before Cavan. As I stated on here before, its a big year for McGeeney because a lot of Armagh people want to see one of the McEntees managing them.

We have no forward that can kick points like Turbitt or Riain O'Neill. Some of the scores they kicked were unreal.

We actually did well from about minute 12 to 35 because they had 7 points by 11 minutes and only scored 3 for the rest of that half.

You also have to remember that losing Niall Murray on Thursday evening had to be a huge blow. Not too mention losing two of your full forward line in Madden and Conor Smith. Madden had looked good when on the ball.

A big performance is needed on Saturday evening and the likes of Gearoid, Martin Reilly and Ciaran Brady need to deliver. None of them were good enough on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Mad to be thinking it for the second game of the season, but Saturday has an air of season-defining about it. Last 4 competitive games have resulted in absolute shellackings.

Last weekend we were all hoping for a performance and whilst Armagh seem to the the real deal, we were as flat as a pancake by all accounts (didn’t make it).

Lose to Westmeath and we are going to be sucked into a relegation dogfight. Saturday night is less about performance and more about digging in and getting a result at all costs. Arrest the decline and get something to build on.

Any word on injuries? The Murray brothers? Madden, Smith, Mc Loughlin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yevon wrote: »
    Anyone else hear that our All Star selector has parted ways with the management team?

That would be good news if true. Wonder if we might get some people back after that!

Advertisement