Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARW

• 08-08-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,
    Recently saw that Hell Week show on rte with the ARW instructors. Relax, I'm not here to open that can of worms!

It just made me wonder, are RDF allowed to apply for selection to the ARW the same way reservists in the UK and certain other NATO countries are?

I am Ex military ( foreign military however) and fully aware it is a very arduous course. The way way RDF are being integrated with the PDF of late makes it seem like a viable path for that certain few who could do it. I've heard rumblings but that's just second hand speculation to be fair.

I'm not expecting an essay of information just has anyone witnessed it happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

No I dont think it will ever happen.

1. It would be rare that an RDF member (timewise at least) would be able to undertake a full time selection course. Basic selection lasts 9 months, then the real training begins.

2. An RDF member would be nowhere near tactically experienced enough to undergo and pass selection. Full time soldiers have a hard enough time passing it.

3. An ARW member needs to be available every day and be in a position to respond in a certain timeframe. Most RDF members cant even make it to a weekly parade.

Basically, an RDF member is not suitable for ARW service in its current role. Can an RDF member perform some ARW related tasks, logistics or admin? Sure but its highly doubtful an RDF selection course will be run in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Qwerty654321

No I dont think it will ever happen.

1. It would be rare that an RDF member (timewise at least) would be able to undertake a full time selection course. Basic selection lasts 9 months, then the real training begins.

2. An RDF member would be nowhere near tactically experienced enough to undergo and pass selection. Full time soldiers have a hard enough time passing it.

3. An ARW member needs to be available every day and be in a position to respond in a certain timeframe. Most RDF members cant even make it to a weekly parade.

Basically, an RDF member is not suitable for ARW service in its current role. Can an RDF member perform some ARW related tasks, logistics or admin? Sure but its highly doubtful an RDF selection course will be run in the long term.

I do agree with the above. But I meant more reserve to regular full time. Not a separate reservist SF unit of the ARW like 21 or 23 SAS in the UK.

Hypothetically, random RDF Private / NCO loaded onto a selection course. If he passes, he's got himself a new full time job! If he fails, thanks for trying RTU. Selection itself is not oversubscribed from what I've been told, the indivudual would not be taking up a limited place.

There was an article recently in the Irish Times about 2 passing the entire course out of a cohort of 33

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

As far as I am aware, rdf personnel have in the past attempted the selection course as the entry requirements at the time didn't stipulate that applicants needed to be pdf. That was changes afterwards and the selection course is now only open to the pdf. I don't think the arw is struggling for numbers or applicants that I'm aware of so I don't see things changing any time soon.

I do agree with the above. But I meant more reserve to regular full time. Not a separate reservist SF unit of the ARW like 21 or 23 SAS in the UK.

Hypothetically, random RDF Private / NCO loaded onto a selection course. If he passes, he's got himself a new full time job! If he fails, thanks for trying RTU. Selection itself is not oversubscribed from what I've been told, the indivudual would not be taking up a limited place.

There was an article recently in the Irish Times about 2 passing the entire course out of a cohort of 33

Without labouring my point, it just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Could be worth putting lads through it, just to get the tabs. Incentive and ambition keeps the lads keen.

I actually can't see the harm in it, but jesus, I am more than aware of the disdain of the RDF from the corps of PDF officers.

• Advertisement

Could be worth putting lads through it, just to get the tabs. Incentive and ambition keeps the lads keen.

I actually can't see the harm in it, but jesus, I am more than aware of the disdain of the RDF from the corps of PDF officers.

The ARW don't run courses for lads "just to get the tabs", from any Branch. The 3 week course was redesigned to a 9 month course to weed out those troops who wanted to make their uniform look nice, to ones who wanted to serve in the Unit.

While you don't see the harm in it, it highlights your ignorance of all facets of the course and its intents.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I said I don't see the harm - other armies use selection courses to both fill positions and to improve the skills of their serving soldiers who RTU after passing the course.
    While you don't see the harm in it, it highlights your ignorance of all facets of the course and its intents.

Good to see the bonhomie and cameraderie of the military forum is still at its usual 0ft AMSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I said I don't see the harm - other armies use selection courses to both fill positions and to improve the skills of their serving soldiers who RTU after passing the course.

Not in the Army that I was in, they don't.

Foreigners - non-NATO, that is - paid over £250,000 to attend one of the shorter courses that we ran in the late 80s, and none of them were there to make up numbers. Getting RTU'd would have been disgraceful to them, and a cause of great concern for us as the DS, if it had ever happened.

For a start, just to successfully pass the 'suitability for training exam' they had to be VERY competent English speakers and conversant with NATO terminology used throughout the course, no matter whether they came from Malaysia, Brazil, Chile or Indihah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Still somewhat surprised that they use they're using the ACOG, never been a fan personally, and a touch outdated by now. Are they running C8s or 416s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still somewhat surprised that they use they're using the ACOG, never been a fan personally, and a touch outdated by now. Are they running C8s or 416s?

As I understand it, personal preferences get plenty of latitude in the Wing, so long as the job gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Uncle Fester

Alkers wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, rdf personnel have in the past attempted the selection course as the entry requirements at the time didn't stipulate that applicants needed to be pdf. That was changes afterwards and the selection course is now only open to the pdf. I don't think the arw is struggling for numbers or applicants that I'm aware of so I don't see things changing any time soon.

That statement is total "Bull$hit"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

That statement is total "Bull$hit"

I don't have a source other than heresay!

Alkers wrote: »
    I don't have a source other than heresay!

Its certaintly not true over the last 22 years. If someone said it to you within that time frame, its shenanigans.

While it may not have stipluated specifically "PDF" its still very doubtful.

In the 90's and 00's you needed to have a certain level of operational experience before applying for selection. This included time in a Unit, courses and overseas.

While an FCA/RDF member could have technically applied, the application would have been rejected on the above merits alone.

There no way an application would have been successful, never mind turning up for Selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Not unless he or she was exceptional and bringing some unique or highly sought after skill to the ARW. The only way it could happen is if a person was way above average and experienced and could commit to the ARW regime. There is a reason why they pick people who have some decent time in, because even if a guy fresh from basic training passes Selection, he won't have the skill at arms that a more experienced soldier will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cork30

Go easy on me lad, first post. Having served in the RDF for 5 years and 3 years in the PDF absolutely not. A member of the current army reserve is nowhere near capable of attempting selection. Generally the guys that opt for this don't do it on a whim. They will have a lot experience, courses and training under their belt and then they'll go out and expand their knowledge beyond the teach of the DF.
    My time in the RDF was one of the best experiences ever although having been there I still don't know what it is. I mean it's nothing. It's not an army simply on the basis that the guys there aren't trained to the standard that they should be. But surely the minister isn't funding a youth club. It's an organisation that has some top notch members that are totally wasted, it's an untapped resourced that will give the DF two fingers if it's ever needed because that's what it got for decades. Attendance is poor in the RDF and attitudes are lax, but the DF is to blame for that as they tolerate it. Military life is disciplined and rigid, you conduct yourself as soldier and act professionally or f@$k off! Simple as.
    It's my belief that if these guys got the training they should have there are individuals there that could get on selection but they'd be the minority. I'm not saying they'd pass, if one did it'd either be luck or sheer determination but it'd be a great ambition for them to have.

Advertisement