Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat dragged in this bird

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Wife was at the window this morning and saw a cat get a starling, she ran after it but it would not drop it, this cat actually has a collar and bell I am feeding Goldfinches, Sparrows, Blue Tits and Starlings what is the best way to try to protect them, I have the feeders under a plastic cover on the shed but I still see cats hiding, I move all the pots etc so they can not hide was thinking of getting plastic fence and attaching it to the shed both ends so they would not be able to surprise the birds, any other ideas. In Galway City.

How is the cat getting up onto the shed roof? I had a similar problem. Cats were getting onto my shed roof by walking along my back wall, and then popping up onto the roof. I just attached some wire to the end of the garden wall, and that stopped them travelling to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Eddie B wrote: »
    How is the cat getting up onto the shed roof? I had a similar problem. Cats were getting onto my shed roof by walking along my back wall, and then popping up onto the roof. I just attached some wire to the end of the garden wall, and that stopped them travelling to the shed.

No problem for them just a short jump this one took the starling while eating spilt seed on the grass, I will put some kind of fence up to stop it.

No problem for them just a short jump this one took the starling while eating spilt seed on the grass, I will put some kind of fence up to stop it.

Our terrier keeps them out of the garden lol. Cats don't even need cover to get the birds. They are an exceptional predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

They are an exceptional predator.
    About 30 years ago in school I went back to a mates house for lunch one time. He lived in a mature housing estate with plenty of well grown shrubs and bushes in the back gardens. While having lunch, we watched his cat catch three birds in about 30 minutes! It was pretty much all the cat did all day. It had a bell and a lump of balsa wood tied to it's collar and was still a prolific hunter. It'd sit on top of the garden wall within the bush and pounce as soon as a bird would be in range. My mate told me it was not unusual for him to arrive home to 10-15 dead starlings or house sparrows outside the back door.

It's amazing that cats still have the instinct and ability after 1000's of years of domestication. They're still wild at heart.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Scotty # wrote: »
    About 30 years ago in school I went back to a mates house for lunch one time. He lived in a mature housing estate with plenty of well grown shrubs and bushes in the back gardens. While having lunch, we watched his cat catch three birds in about 30 minutes! It was pretty much all the cat did all day. It had a bell and a lump of balsa wood tied to it's collar and was still a prolific hunter. It'd sit on top of the garden wall within the bush and pounce as soon as a bird would be in range. My mate told me it was not unusual for him to arrive home to 10-15 dead starlings or house sparrows outside the back door.

It's amazing that cats still have the instinct and ability after 1000's of years of domestication. They're still wild at heart.

I love cats, but I also love birds, and I do think your friend should have at least tried to stop his cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

New Home wrote: »
    I do think your friend should have at least tried to stop his cat.
    He did...
    Scotty # wrote: »
    It had a bell and a lump of balsa wood tied to it's collar...
    I don't know what became of the cat. This was around 30 years ago. I'll ask him next time I see him (My mate, not the cat!:)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A cat killed a collar dove at my feeder the other day. Looked out the window and he had it in his mouth going through the bushes, they killed all the baby wild rabbits we had out the back as well. I hate them . Cats that are wandering around could be caught and euthanized. There's no point having a pet if he he's never at home.

My uncle's has had very few birds to his feeders or bird box's the last two years , cos some auld one beside him has started feeding all the strays in the area . He had a row with her over it but she's in denial about cats killing wildlife. He'd said he'd shoot them if he had a gun..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They should start doing this here to. All the cat lovers up in arms saying it's cruel, but what about the millions of animals they kill every year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-cat-cull-sausages-wildlife-outback-a8888071.html

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

We are the neighbours cats toilet of choice and regularly have to bin shoes when the kids trape cat shyte in to the house. We chose not to get a pet cat or dog because with work and kids commitments we wouldn't be able to give it the time or care deserved. All our lovely garden birds have been killed by the neighbourhood cats and they're simply fearless. They roam at night and as I said our manicured garden is their toilet of choice. Tried everything, the scented liquids and powders, ultrasonic repellents, sensor water hoses, but just can't keep them out. The owners simply let them roam all day and night. I wish there was a law to limit the trespass.
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Irresponsible cat ownership is the issue. I can't abide the fact that cats take birds in my garden (and use it as a toilet) but it's the owners that need to be taken to task. One neighbour has cats and they stay indoors at night and are confined to her garden when out during the day, with bells ln their collars. But others let their cats roam at will and do so at night too. Some feed feral cats with no attempt to keep them in check. Some even have a twisted logic that it's a big open countryside so the cats won't do as much harm as in an urban garden environment. When you ask them to control their cats you get the old "they kept vermin at bay"; yes along with killing countless numbers of birds and other small mammals. Then you get told it's only the natural behaviour of a cat. It's the natural behaviour of a dog to hunt too but we prevent it.
    So, dropping poison indiscriminately is not the answer - imagine the impact on native meat or carrion eaters (not such an issue in Australia). We need control rules around cats, just as we have with dogs.

• Advertisement

We are the neighbours cats toilet of choice and regularly have to bin shoes when the kids trape cat shyte in to the house. We chose not to get a pet cat or dog because with work and kids commitments we wouldn't be able to give it the time or care deserved. All our lovely garden birds have been killed by the neighbourhood cats and they're simply fearless. They roam at night and as I said our manicured garden is their toilet of choice. Tried everything, the scented liquids and powders, ultrasonic repellents, sensor water hoses, but just can't keep them out. The owners simply let them roam all day and night. I wish there was a law to limit the trespass.
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!
    I'm a cat owner and I hate this. Cats dont even need to be trained to use a toilet indoors, just fill a tray with cat litter and they will happily use it. In fact having to go outside in the cats highly strung and anxious head is very stressful, in the cats mind it is risking its life to go and relieve itself.

Cats are always on alert, highly anxious and on the look out for danger. They are prolific predators but also survivors and with that comes avoiding danger. Your garden sounds like a safe haven. Somewhere they can do their business in peace and comfort and above all away from danger.

I think what you need to do is catch them in the act and scare the life out of them. I'd recommend a super soaker (obviously not too powerful to hurt them). Soak them and roar at them. Let them know your garden is not a safe place for them to do their business.

Good luck!

Edit: just realised the cats are probably being let out at night (another thing I hate to see and hear as a cat owner), so catching them in the act is probably not very realistic.

We know the cats owners, one is a man of the courts, he has a few roaming,and the other cat is owned by a lady to complete the 2.5 children and white picket fence urban dream. I was tempted to trap and release some distance away but will try anything first because unfortunately these people are unapproachable... I could send my kids round to s*** in their garden maybe?

We know the cats owners, one is a man of the courts, he has a few roaming,and the other cat is owned by a lady to complete the 2.5 children and white picket fence urban dream. I was tempted to trap and release some distance away but will try anything first because unfortunately these people are unapproachable... I could send my kids round to s*** in their garden maybe?

Scoop the ****e up and deliver it back to them? Stick it in an envelope with a message "I believe this is yours"

I resent the thought of actually having to pick up someone else's cat shyte!

I've soaked them, roared at them, chased them....all to no avail.

A distant neighbour did trap some a few years ago and left them at the pound but it had little long term affect.

It's a pity because I have the facility to apply deadly force but that is not my desire.... But I am running out of options!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Irrespective of your feelings towards cats, I would like to remind everyone that cruelty to animals (any animal) is NOT acceptable.

I must admit I am not a lover of cats. In my opinion, they should be kept on their owners property, end of story. For those that do like them, by all means have them as pets, but keep them on your property like any other pet.

Here's a thing. I often see cat enclosures for sale on various sites, but have yet to actually see one in someone's garden. Ok I know not everyone has the space for one, but if even 50% of cats were kept in an enclosure, or indoors, instead of being let roam, it would make a big difference.

The only real solution for this, is to change the law reguarding cats. If enough people shout loud enough then maybe something will change. The problem is, the cat lovers will do there best to shout even louder.

I must admit I am not a lover of cats. In my opinion, they should be kept on their owners property, end of story. For those that do like them, by all means have them as pets, but keep them on your property like any other pet.

Here's a thing. I often see cat enclosures for sale on various sites, but have yet to actually see one in someone's garden. Ok I know not everyone has the space for one, but if even 50% of cats were kept in an enclosure, or indoors, instead of being let roam, it would make a big difference.

The only real solution for this, is to change the law reguarding cats. If enough people shout loud enough then maybe something will change. The problem is, the cat lovers will do there best to shout even louder.
    You have it backwards, people do not have pet cats. Cats have pet humans. They're not dumb, they're not going to stuck with someone who locks them in an enclosure.

The alternative to the current situation is to let cats run feral.

Dont get me wrong I have sympathy, even as a cat owner i dont like cats ****ting in my garden. Owners need to be responsible and get cat litters for the cats and keep them in doors at night and when the owner is out of the house for long periods (work etc). But they also need to be let outdoors to maintain their territory. That is the essence of what a cat is. What you are asking is for owners to somehow stop a cat from bring a cat and be more like a dog. Its nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wife was at the window this morning and saw a cat get a starling, she ran after it but it would not drop it, this cat actually has a collar and bell I am feeding Goldfinches, Sparrows, Blue Tits and Starlings what is the best way to try to protect them, I have the feeders under a plastic cover on the shed but I still see cats hiding, I move all the pots etc so they can not hide was thinking of getting plastic fence and attaching it to the shed both ends so they would not be able to surprise the birds, any other ideas. In Galway City.

81P4VQZXjaL._SY355_.jpg

• Advertisement

You have it backwards, people do not have pet cats. Cats have pet humans. They're not dumb, they're not going to stuck with someone who locks them in an enclosure.

Dont get me wrong I have sympathy, even as a cat owner i dont like cats ****ting in my garden. Owners need to be responsible and get cat litters for the cats and keep them in doors at night and when the owner is out of the house for long periods (work etc). But they also need to be let outdoors to maintain their territory. That is the essence of what a cat is. What you are asking is for owners to somehow stop a cat from bring a cat and be more like a dog. Its nonsense.
    Maintain their territory? All predators when feral or wild have territories. Just because these are cats don't give them some supreme right to be allowed decide that our gardens, or the wider countryside, are part of their territory. A dog will be as territorial and predatory if it is allowed.

Cat owners need to stop facilitating the so called needs of a cat, and think about their destructive behaviour's, and also think about their neighbours. Keep their cats on their own property, and let them use that as their territory. Your certainly right about cats rulling the roost, instead of their owners.

Maintain their territory? All predators when feral or wild have territories. Just because these are cats don't give them some supreme right to be allowed decide that our gardens, or the wider countryside, are part of their territory. A dog will be as territorial and predatory if it is allowed.
    Dogs will gather in packs and savage a human for fun as part of their nature. I'm not understanding the comparison.

As I've said, it's not up to humans to tell the cat species what it can or cant do. They"ll simply move on and take care of themselves.

Dogs will gather in packs and savage a human for fun as part of their nature. I'm not understanding the comparison.

As I've said, it's not up to humans to tell the cat species what it can or cant do. They"ll simply move on and take care of themselves.
    If cats were to be all feral, at least we could legally do something about them.

I'll leave this now because it's obviously pointless but to suggest that cats are some sort of super intelligent free spirit beyond being controlled and contained is quite bizarre and a bit of a cop out for the damage they do and the annoyance they cause others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Used to get the odd egg off him for breakfast...
    A feckin miracle!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cat owners need to stop facilitating the so called needs of a cat, and think about their destructive behaviour's, and also think about their neighbours. Keep their cats on their own property, and let them use that as their territory. Your certainly right about cats rulling the roost, instead of their owners.

Cat owners are selfish end of,don't give a fu*k about them ****ti*Ng in other pps gardens,why don't think they let them out at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thing is we actually have a pet cat that belongs to my Daughter, we allow him out on fine days in the back garden but we stay with him, he has a set pattern that he does every day he is out from one end of the garden to the other, he sees the birds at the feeders take a look and carries on with no interest in them in fine Summer days he would be out with us as long as we are there. The birds seem to be used to him and that he is no threat to them, when I see the others the garden hose is on full.

Advertisement