Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the income band limits for HAP

• 04-01-2019 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi, can't seem to find any info on the HAP website. A couple who are friends of mine wanted to know what the income thresholds are for the HAP payment?

Dublin area, both adults working full time, combined income of approx 70,000, 4 Children in the household.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would hope a household would be very ineligible for state financial support with €70k household income

EDIT: Here is the link to the thresholds

Looks like the absolute limit for Dublin is €42k for a household

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

ELM327 wrote: »
    I would hope a household would be very ineligible for state financial support with €70k household income

Thanks for the reply, I am merely asking on behalf of friends. I don't know what the limits are, if you know for a fact the amounts allowed please inform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Are they on a housing list? You aren't eligible for HAP unless you are.

You have to be on the housing list and meet the income thresholds I linked to above in order to qualify.
    Max for Dublin is 30k single person and 42k household. 70k is way over, as I had expected.

gozunda wrote: »
    Well the likes of Margaret Cash gets over €50,000 tax free and she gets it ok.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpKwuTuX4AEjr3w.jpg

She gets over 50k including hap.
    Before hap she is under the threshold. And this is not about any well known scroungers like her anyway.

• Advertisement

My understanding is they are on it, the limit is 42,000e combined so I guess they would not be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My understanding is they are on it, the limit is 42,000e combined so I guess they would not be eligible.

Is that before tax is paid on the 70,000?

Is that before tax is paid on the 70,000?

I don't know, the limit according to the link above is 42,000 for a couple with 3+children. They are over the limit by along way so they are not eligible for HAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gozunda wrote:
    Well the likes of Margaret Cash gets over €50,000 tax free and she gets it ok. How's that work?

Part of that 50k is including the HAP scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well the likes of Margaret Cash gets over €50,000 tax free and she gets it ok. How's that work?

HAP to the landlord isn't classed as income - yet all the Margaret Cash gets x amount a year calculations include a HAP payment that goes to a landlord of around 15 k.

So the 30 to 40 k limit isnt breached in Margaret Cashes case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The 42k may be a net figure. They could be entitled. Don't lose faith yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

You have to be on the housing list and meet the income thresholds I linked to above in order to qualify.
    Max for Dublin is 30k single person and 42k household. 70k is way over, as I had expected.

It's actually €35,000. That seems very high (if the single person has no dependant). No wonder rent has gotten so high over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Those figures include HAP, do you see the flaw in your sweeping statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

No not really. First of all it was a query not a statement.

Interestingly another poster gave the single person figure as €35,000. Now if you take the figures in the link and take away her HAP - there remains a significant tax free income of €35,846.

The OP friends income appears to be gross as detailed. Once that's taxed there's not going to be much better off than Ms Cash but then they apparently get no help with rent atm.

Was wondering how that works tbh. There was some useful replies. But your point is what? - but no bother eitherway as that's probably off topic.

My point is your smart remark regarding Ms Cash was incorrect, sorry if that wasn't clear. You posted the tweet that detailed exactly how her "income" was made up which clearly lists the HAP figure so I was confused as to how you couldn't figure this out yourself?

The single person figure is increased depending on the amount of children you have.

And yes your're right, the OP's friends figures may still qualify as the figures as the limits are net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

This has to be a windup???

70k and they want rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Came across this doing a search so I might as well ask it here.

I'm a bit confused about the term Rent Limits.

In Dublin City, the maximum net income to be eligible for HAP is 35k for a single person.

As is my understanding, a social tenant usually pays 15 percent of their take home pay as rent, be that income from a job or welfare.

citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html#l4292e

By "rent limits" I take it this is the maximum amount of money the council will contribute towards your rent, and if the amount plus your 15 percent falls short of the rent of the room/ property you are after, you are required to pay more than 15 percent. Am I correct?

Example. Say I take home 2500 in an average month. 15 percent of that is 375.

If I wish to rent a one bed flat in Dublin and it costs 1300, the council will only pay a maximum of 660 of the cost, and I would have to pay 540 myself (rather than simply paying 375 if I was renting a council acquired/ owned flat).

Do I have that correct? The citizens information explanation is, as always with them, ridiculously vague.

To me it seems there is an awful lot of people in Dublin either unaware of their HAP entitlements or too proud to use them. I'd wager a vast majority of Dublin renters are not taking home above 35k per year (a good amount would be lucky to see that before tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She gets over 50k including hap.
    Before hap she is under the threshold. And this is not about any well known scroungers like her anyway.

Works out at over 80k salary

• Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Old diesel wrote: »
    HAP to the landlord isn't classed as income - yet all the Margaret Cash gets x amount a year calculations include a HAP payment that goes to a landlord of around 15 k.

So the 30 to 40 k limit isnt breached in Margaret Cashes case

Which is ridiculous as a family with 43k doesn’t get it but she gets an effective salary of over 80k and still shop lifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Came across this doing a search so I might as well ask it here.

I'm a bit confused about the term Rent Limits.

In Dublin City, the maximum net income to be eligible for HAP is 35k for a single person.

As is my understanding, a social tenant usually pays 15 percent of their take home pay as rent, be that income from a job or welfare.

citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html#l4292e

By "rent limits" I take it this is the maximum amount of money the council will contribute towards your rent, and if the amount plus your 15 percent falls short of the rent of the room/ property you are after, you are required to pay more than 15 percent. Am I correct?

Example. Say I take home 2500 in an average month. 15 percent of that is 375.

If I wish to rent a one bed flat in Dublin and it costs 1300, the council will only pay a maximum of 660 of the cost, and I would have to pay 540 myself (rather than simply paying 375 if I was renting a council acquired/ owned flat).

Do I have that correct? The citizens information explanation is, as always with them, ridiculously vague.

To me it seems there is an awful lot of people in Dublin either unaware of their HAP entitlements or too proud to use them. I'd wager a vast majority of Dublin renters are not taking home above 35k per year (a good amount would be lucky to see that before tax)

bump....anyone?

Advertisement