Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm worried about the leaves

• 02-06-2020 8:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

A lot of the trees look like they're in the month of August. And as far as I know they won't bud new leaves at this time of year when it does eventually rain. So I don't think the leaves that have currently become withered will get rejuvenated when wetter weather comes. When I see the leaves like this it sort of makes me feel that summer is over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Back to stage 1 so.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Some trees bud earlier in the year so their leaves tend to wither this time of year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Are they ash trees? Lots of ash trees seem to be suffering with dieback around me anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Are they ash trees? Lots of ash trees seem to be suffering with dieback around me anyway :(

The ash trees just happened to be hit by the frost and northerly wind just as it started to leaf and tender and were scalded but will just put out new leaf shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I noticed the same around here.
    A bit off topic... Are birds very scarce this year? especially swallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There is little or no mainteance or care of trees by the county councils except for chopping down and seldom replacing.

The few trees that are effed into the ground are simply left to fend for themselves. No proper support and watering in the important months until they are established.

Thanks to your great, great grand parents for having the foresight to plant 100 + years ago. Singe then very little implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bauney

Agree on the swallows comment. Very few around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Will somebody please think of the grass. Nobody sees the injustices at their very feet, gasping for a drink put out a pan of water and it’ll be gone in the morning. (no it didn’t evaporate)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Swallows only ever touch the ground in Ireland (the ones who choose here at least!). Down in Namibia or wherever, they sleep in the air by turning half their brain off at a time.
    They only live a few years and must cross the Sahara twice each year to breed up here. Blows my mind how they manage that huge difficult journey.

The winds of the recent storm could have burned off a few young leaves but the trees will be fine. There will be plenty of rain over the course of the 2020 summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Loads where I live, always see little flocks of swallows flying around but never seen them land. I've seen all kinds of birds lately and I'm in Dublin 5. Thrushes, blue tits, herons, blackbirds, wood pigeons, oyster catchers, and loads of other things I don't even recognise.
    I've been putting water out for the birds too, you should do this if you think of it, there's no lying water for them at the moment. It's nice watching them take baths in it.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Swallows only ever touch the ground in Ireland (the ones who choose here at least!). Down in Namibia or wherever, they sleep in the air by turning half their brain off at a time.
    They only live a few years and must cross the Sahara twice each year to breed up here. Blows my mind how they manage that huge difficult journey.

The winds of the recent storm could have burned off a few young leaves but the trees will be fine. There will be plenty of rain over the course of the 2020 summer.

They catch and eat them in parts of africa.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/nigerians-taste-for-a-bird-proves-hard-to-swallow-1319583.html

Its become more of a problem now because they can get very fine nets off the internet from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They catch and eat them in parts of africa.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/nigerians-taste-for-a-bird-proves-hard-to-swallow-1319583.html

Its become more of a problem now because they can get very fine nets off the internet from china.

That article is 24 years old...

RobertKK wrote: »
    That article is 24 years old...

must be fake so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I had 12 nests on one gable wall of the house last year and there be more as only allow build nests on one wall.
    There was swallows everywhere.
    There seems to be just a few this year, i put it down to fact that no material for nest as ground is so dry.

Advertisement