Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-03-2020, 18:32   #136
An Ri rua
Registered User
 
An Ri rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtf ? View Post
They could hardly whip out a biro and quote JC word for word could they ? It was hammers,chisels and a nice flat bit of stone back then so shorthand was out of the question too. I think I have been sold a pup all along.....?
Who wrote the Bible when??
An Ri rua is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 18:39   #137
rtron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 327
Its full of
Plot holes
Historical inaccuracies
Characters arcs are all wrong
Too much fantasy
Battle strategies were shocking

And Jamie Lanister should have won Game of thrones.

Eh what was the question again? Oh the Bible, decent book a bit long. Some good stories and lessons but we shouldn't take it too seriously like game of thrones.
rtron is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 18:48   #138
theological
Registered User
 
theological's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,413
The Bible is God's holy and inspired Word to us revealed through the prophets and the apostles and most clearly seen in God's Son Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1)

Feel free to come have a chat on the Christianity forum or send a PM if you'd like to find out more we'd love to have you.
theological is online now  
29-03-2020, 18:55   #139
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 234
Usually when folks question the validity of the Bible and Christianity, is a two fold dilemma. They are these so called Atheist wanting to prove they are right, for whatever personal reason. Or the ones who are unsure about taking that leap of faith, by questioning it.And it's ok to question and seek answers, that is why God gave man free will.


I'm not here to convince you of my beliefs in God. I think that it's a personal journey everyone goes through in their lifetime. Even the Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs. We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter.

Again, this my opinion and outlook. And I don't expect most folks to agree to it.
Shady Grady is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2020, 18:57   #140
Purple Mountain
Registered User
 
Purple Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,435
I'm currently reading The God Delusion if anyone fancies some 'light' reading during this crisis?
Purple Mountain is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 19:09   #141
EmmetSpiceland
Registered User
 
EmmetSpiceland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
That doesn’t take up all their day, dude. Unlike you moaning and being angry on the internet. Almost puritanical in your misery to be honest.
You strike me as the kind of man who would have spent a fair bit of time “studying” verses like Ezekiel 23:19-20, J.

“19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.”
EmmetSpiceland is offline  
29-03-2020, 19:13   #142
cj maxx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanadMan View Post
Dammit - I need to read before posting
Don't worry. I'd forgotten about the ' Dear Cindy' bit
cj maxx is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2020, 19:16   #143
Zebra3
Registered User
 
Zebra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Grady View Post
Usually when folks question the validity of the Bible and Christianity, is a two fold dilemma. They are these so called Atheist wanting to prove they are right, for whatever personal reason. Or the ones who are unsure about taking that leap of faith, by questioning it.And it's ok to question and seek answers, that is why God gave man free will.


I'm not here to convince you of my beliefs in God. I think that it's a personal journey everyone goes through in their lifetime. Even the Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs. We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter.

Again, this my opinion and outlook. And I don't expect most folks to agree to it.
That's because most people are swayed by reason and logic.

Religious headcases once wanted to burn people alive for saying the earth was round.

They told us that the earth was flat. That heaven was up in the sky. That hell was under the earth.

All proven wrong.

Then the religious nutters changed the goalposts and heaven was in some sort of fourth dimension and hell was somewhere else. And now hell doesn't exist because the man in Rome said so.

Whatever it takes to keep the money rolling in.

And let's not forget about all the gulags that the "fallen women" were locked up in.

Don't recall any religious groups campaigning for their freedom.

Religion is on its' arse in this country and what a relief that is.
Zebra3 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 19:18   #144
Deja Boo
Registered User
 
Deja Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
How do the religious nutjobs get time to post here when they are meant to be praying to praising their non-existent deity and helping preaching to the less fortunate?
fyp
Deja Boo is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 19:21   #145
B.A._Baracus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
How do the religious nutjobs get time to post here when they are meant to be praying to their non-existent deity and helping the less fortunate?
How do you know someone is an atheist in this world?

.... Oh you'll know. Trust me youll know
B.A._Baracus is offline  
29-03-2020, 19:23   #146
Deja Boo
Registered User
 
Deja Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
Who wrote the Bible when??
It's clear that Theo wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theological View Post
The Bible is God's holy and inspired Word to us revealed through the prophets and the apostles and most clearly seen in God's Son Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1)

Feel free to come have a chat on the Christianity forum or send a PM if you'd like to find out more we'd love to have you.
...and rewrites it.... for the benefit of all humanity.
Deja Boo is offline  
29-03-2020, 19:29   #147
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
That's because most people are swayed by reason and logic.

Religious headcases once wanted to burn people alive for saying the earth was round.

They told us that the earth was flat. That heaven was up in the sky. That hell was under the earth.

All proven wrong.

Then the religious nutters changed the goalposts and heaven was in some sort of fourth dimension and hell was somewhere else. And now hell doesn't exist because the man in Rome said so.

Whatever it takes to keep the money rolling in.

And let's not forget about all the gulags that the "fallen women" were locked up in.

Don't recall any religious groups campaigning for their freedom.

Religion is on its' arse in this country and what a relief that is.
No sir, your cherry-picking with the extremes and every religion has them. From Christianity, Islam ,and Judaism. And it is those groups of extremes that the actual faith is painted.

Your going by one extreme to another argument which seems to be the norm in society. And I do agree with you that some have made a business of religion in this day. But it is far from the teachings. I am disgusted with all the tele-evangelists we now have.

But They don't speak for God, not even your Pope who is elected by man, and not by God. And I am not trying to sway your own beliefs in anyway. Your own journey is just that, your own.
Shady Grady is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2020, 19:42   #148
nozzferrahhtoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A._Baracus View Post
Another anti religion thread eh?
How do you atheists get the time to do anything else?
Oh yeah, a single solitary nearly one year old thread randomly resurrected for no real reason. Man clearly inundated with the things we are :-p I do not know how you can move or think for all the threads you must be falling over :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A._Baracus View Post
How do you know someone is an atheist in this world? .... Oh you'll know. Trust me youll know
Problem with that statement is it is entirely self selecting. You can reverse it and say exactly the same thing about theists. Or you can lift it out of this thread and drop it into any other, and change the wording to "Vegan" or "Democrat" or "Republican" or "Anti Vaxxer" and so on.

It is a vacuous catch all throw away phrase designed to say nothing at all while pretending to be saying something of note.
nozzferrahhtoo is offline  
29-03-2020, 19:45   #149
B.A._Baracus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Problem with that statement is it is entirely self selecting. You can reverse it and say exactly the same thing about theists. Or you can lift it out of this thread and drop it into any other, and change the wording to "Vegan" or "Democrat" or "Republican" or "Anti Vaxxer" and so on.

It is a vacuous catch all throw away phrase designed to say nothing at all while pretending to be saying something of note.
Sorry. But I got a right smart arse vibe from your post. Like your entire point of your post was to blow yourself up.
There for, I really don't care to be perfectly honest
B.A._Baracus is offline  
29-03-2020, 19:47   #150
nozzferrahhtoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto Salazar View Post
Exactly. They have a severe hang up with anyone who has faith. I've met some nasty atheists in my time.
And I have met numerous nasty theists in my time too. I am not sure a pissing contest of anecdotes will get us anywhere though do you? Certainly you won't find me falsely generalising theists based on those anecdotes though in the "they" way you do above as if atheists are all some homogeneous group who think and act the same

That said though, if you burned books by my Favorites authors I would do nothing more than think much much less of you as a person and as an intellect. Meanwhile while I was taking the freely given and freely offered Catholic Bread wafers to experiment on I got open death threats as well as people telling me by email they would kidnap my children because it is the same thing.

I think there are nasty ass-wipes on both sides of any debate or position. However I am not so convinced both sides manifest that nastiness in the same way. The occasional mean word or open derision is not quite comparable to death threads and threats against children. While a member of the clergy say that atheists are not even fully human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto Salazar View Post
Live and let live.
All that said however, I do so much enjoy any chance to post this link So ta for the platform. Actually with all my work with Atheist Ireland, Atheist Germany, Atheists America, the FFRF, and Atheist Alliance International I have rarely met ANY atheists who care if someone has faith as you suggest. It tends to solely be the manifestation of that faith in our halls of power, education and science that concerns them. And well it should.

People going around having faith though? Few seem to actually care all that much. As the saying goes though "Theres always one".

Last edited by nozzferrahhtoo; 29-03-2020 at 19:54.
nozzferrahhtoo is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search